PDA

View Full Version : MLCS Sliding Router Table

Johnnyy Johnson
04-15-2010, 9:14 AM
I am taking a serious look at their table. I have read several reviews and for the most part they were very good. The number one complaint is the instructions that come with it. Next it is very hard to get the router to attach correctly. Those two I can live with. Some people are having to use extensions to the router collet. Many complaints on the dust collection and fence. Some routers are worse than others to mount and get to work. Anyone here got or seen one domo'ed? What type router do you have mounted? If you have one please write a review.

Thanks
Johnny

Tom Welch
04-15-2010, 1:42 PM
I have the Grizzly one, it is the same as the MCLS just a different color. Overall it is pretty good. I really don't use the sliding feature, I have the table locked down and just use it as a regular router table. Yes, it is not simply plug and play to mount your router. I have the dewalt 2 1/4 mounted in mine. I used I believe 1 of their clips, and drilled and taped holes in the underside of the table and drilled holes in the fixed base and leave it there permently. (I bought a second base for regular use) The dust collection is a joke, but a little engineering can fix that. The fence is okay at best, but I use special made wood fences with openings cut out to match the router bits. Which I really like better, unless you need to off set the out feed side then I put back on the aluminum fence and adjust. The powercoated paint on the grizzly has really held up well, the unit is about 5 to 6 years old and stills looks good. The solid cast iron portion of the table is nice to, adds weight and cuts down on vibration. I installed a Ridgid hercule lift on the bottom which makes it nice and portable. And yes I do use a router bit ext from MCLS but only on the cope router bit for door rails. (because I use a coping sled,which raises the stock higher. Look at the Grizzly and save yourself some money, but the folks at MLCS at great too.

Johnnyy Johnson
04-19-2010, 9:13 AM
Tom...Which router do you have on your table?

Paul Baker
04-19-2010, 1:44 PM
Johnnyy,

Very similar to Tom. I also have the Grizzly and ended up drilling and countersinking holes from the top and then used long flat headed machine
screws into the fixed base portion of my router. I have the Craftsman version of the Bosch 1617 and am able to move the motor from the table mounted base to the plunge base for freehand work.

Tom, what did you do to improve dust collection? I am in the process of setting up my piping network and have not made it over to the router table yet. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Paul