PDA

View Full Version : Smoothing with jacks and jointers?

James Taglienti
04-15-2010, 7:49 AM
Why? I read about a lot of you guys using these as smoothing planes, and I'm not talking about slab top conference tables, either. Am I missing out on something amazing, or is it just your preference?
I am willing to bet that the parts are flatter, at least lengthwise... so i was assuming that's why.

David Weaver
04-15-2010, 10:17 AM
Why? I read about a lot of you guys using these as smoothing planes, and I'm not talking about slab top conference tables, either. Am I missing out on something amazing, or is it just your preference?
I am willing to bet that the parts are flatter, at least lengthwise... so i was assuming that's why.

Jacks maybe for commonality, jointers probably because a lot of people are dimensioning their woods with power tools and the "smoothing" is just removing machining marks.

I like a long plane for that, because it's easy to use.

For wood you're dimensioning by hand, or to smooth something on a project that has gotten a little out of flat because it's been sitting around, or to smooth anything where agility of the plane to attack sections of the piece in different directions, a smoother or scraping plane with a short sole is a lot less work.

Shouldn't be that much that gets out of flat that much if you're in your shop a lot and assembling right after dimensioning, but if you're a hobbyist like most of us, panels and such get set aside, and them finished later, and they never seem to stay perfectly flat.

Johnny Kleso
04-15-2010, 11:33 AM
If surface comes out smooth with a jointer or jack why break out a smoother?

Jim Koepke
04-15-2010, 12:19 PM
If surface comes out smooth with a jointer or jack why break out a smoother?

I wish I could find such well behaved wood.

Of course, pine does not seem to come well behaved and it is my most used wood. There always seems to be a small area of squirrelly grain that needs attention with a plane smaller than a jack or jointer.

A smoother can help to remove any marks or roughness left by the larger planes.

If what you are doing works for you, there is not much incentive to change.

jim

Zach England
04-15-2010, 12:20 PM
The more I use my various planes the more I do with just my LN 5.

Jim Koepke
04-15-2010, 2:42 PM
Another thought just came to mind. When jointing two boards a spring joint is easier to take a real light shaving off the center of a board with a smoother.

jim