PDA

View Full Version : Turning after carpal tunnel surgery???

Aaron Wingert
04-14-2010, 11:43 PM
At 34 years of age and after thee years of symptoms, my carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands has become so painful and irritating that I've dragged myself to the hand surgeon to get it checked out. After having numerous needles inserted into my hands, arms and elbows.....And after being ELECTROCUTED through those needles (not fun), they agree that I have a nasty case of carpal tunnel.

Surgery is scheduled for mid May. Doing the right hand first since it is worse, and because it is my dominant hand (and the hand I hold the turning tools' handles with). The nerve in that hand is already irreparably damaged they're saying, so the surgery is the only way to stop or slow the damage.

Have any of you guys or gals had this surgery? How long was it before you were able to turn again? I know they cut the base of the palm at the wrist and that is bound to be sore for a while. My side business relies on being able to turn on the lathe....Just curious how long it'll be before I can manage?

I am looking forward to turning and actually being able to feel my fingers again. Right now they're numb whenever I use the lathe or perform basic tasks like typing or squeezing toothpaste onto a toothbrush. :(

kenneth walker
04-15-2010, 12:00 AM
Aaron I fell your pain. I also would like to know as I am going to have something done to my hands. I can hardy open a zip lock baggie or open a door. I have they call trigger fingers.

Brian Weaver
04-15-2010, 7:52 AM
My dad is 78 and is left handed. He had the surgery on his left hand about the middle of January. He then went on vacation for a month and a half. When he came back he was right out in the shop turning even though he couldn't hardly lift his hands high enough to take his hat off due to other unrelated issues. Happy to say just a couple weeks later that issue is cleared up and he's back putting in his eighteen hour days.

dan petroski
04-15-2010, 7:52 AM
my age and nerve damage leaves my hands week. i find that the arm brace tools help a lot. it puts the pressure on your forarm

Roland Martin
04-15-2010, 8:05 AM
Aaron, sorry to hear of the carpal tunnel at such a young age. I don't have much to offer as far as returning to the lathe, but my sister had the surgery and has made a big difference in the quality of her daily life. I wish you the absolute best recovery possible.

John Keeton
04-15-2010, 8:08 AM
Aaron, I hope your surgery goes well. They have made significant advancements in this area. Many years ago I handled workers comp cases, and CTS was prevalent as automation had not eliminated as many of the repetitive tasks as is now the case. The surgical procedure then was much more invasive and not nearly as successful.

Just had a friend that had both hands done at once, and he experienced significant relief, with minimal down time. It should go well for you.

Many of us suffer with CTS in a variety of phases, and most are able to forego surgical intervention by being careful. But, it is a cumulative condition, compounded by daily re-injury. I get numbness often, but no pain. I try to be careful, take breaks, etc. when doing repetitive work. But, others may not be able to do that - particularly in their day jobs.

I wish you well, and I am betting you are back on the lathe well short of a month!

Tim Rinehart
04-15-2010, 9:48 AM
Aaron,
My wife and I have both had this surgery, and were lucky to have a great orthopedic surgeon in our area of Charlotte to do it. The comments back that you will bounce back pretty quickly are likely from those of us who are a bit older...and so your prognosis should be even better for quick healing given your age.
My wife and I both found that after the wound was healed, that it helped to massage the area regularly to help keep internal scarring from building up. Ask your doctor about that...seemed to work well for us.

I also had arthroscopic shoulder surgery last November (no cuff repair, thankfully)...and during my followup about 3 weeks after surgery...I gave my surgeon a pen I had just turned...the message being...you may have to start small right after any kind of surgery that requires your use of hands/shoulder...etc. And...if they give you any kind of therapy to follow...do it to the letter!!

Be sure to let your doc know what you 'want' to be able to do quickly, and whether any damage can be caused...or if it's just a little pain that you may get till you're back to 100%. The big thing is knowing what the limits are according to your doc, so you don't damage any of the repairs done.

Best of success in your procedure. Oh...the trigger finger piece of it is typically separate from CTS...though they go hand and hand with restrictions of cartilage, etc. I have trigger finger in the morning...and it causes me no pain, so I've elected not to do anything about it. That's a pretty straightforward procedure though, which is typically done in a docs office...recovery is likely to be much quicker than CTS.

Tim

Doug Thompson
04-15-2010, 10:56 AM
One of the best things I ever had done... the operation opens up the tunnel that the nerve goes through, that's all it does. I had the left hand done and in 10 days the stitches were removed I wraped the hand tight in plastic fired up the chainsaw and turned a couple hats. A few days later they did the right hand... it was a month before I turned again.

What my doctor said that helped a lot was start moving your hand as soon as you wake up from the operation. The small cut they make is nothing and heals in a week you need to build up the strength in each hand.

Good luck and remember the pain is gone when you wake up from the operation. If I knew then what I know now the operation would have been done years before.

Steve Kubien
04-15-2010, 12:32 PM
I'll be following this thread closely as I would certainly benefit from having my right hand done. Some days I almost wish for a chainsaw accident...Funny enough, it is usually the day after I've used the chainsaw for any length of time!

Aaron Wingert
04-15-2010, 12:44 PM
I knew I'd get some good informed responses! Thanks for the advice and encouragement guys. I'm glad to hear that there are a good number of success stories.

I was really surprised to learn that they simply sever the ligament that goes around the base of the palm like a watch band. Doc says that since people don't walk on our hands that ligament isn't necessary at all.

I always thought CTS was for typists and assembly line workers....Repetitive motion injury. I don't do either, as I'm a building inspector. Other than writing, no repetitive motion in my daily life. Being a woodworker I do work with my hands a lot of course. Doc said that there is a fair amount of genetic predisposition involved in CTS, meaning some folks are more likely to get it based simply on heredity.

All I know is that it is bothersome. I wake up numerous times each night with complete numbness, and basic tasks like gripping a pen are often painful. I'm 6'7", 320 pounds, and I had to ask my tiny weakling of a wife to open a little jar of maple syrup for me the other day!

David E Keller
04-15-2010, 1:47 PM
It's a surgery I do several times a week. Pretty straight forward and almost impossible to screw up afterward. Recovery times vary tremendously from person to person and maximum improvement can take several years if you have nerve damage. I'd expect some soreness at the incision for several months afterward but nothing that will keep you out of the shop for more than a few weeks at most. It's one of my favorite surgeries because it makes such a big difference for people so quickly. You'll be sorry you waited so long if your outcome follows the norm.

I'm not able to give you really specific medical advice but I'm happy to try and answer any general questions you may have... Just drop me a PM.

Repetitive hand activities play a role but so does wrist and hand position and vibration. There are lots of risk factors for CTS.

Trigger fingers are different, but the recovery is usually just as fast.

David E Keller
04-15-2010, 1:55 PM
Duplicate post... Oops!

Jim Silva
04-15-2010, 5:09 PM
I had CTS surgery almost one year ago today and have never regretted it.
My hands ACHED and went numb continuously and the braces only made it slightly less agonizing.

I had the single incision done on my left hand (I'm a southpaw) while under a local and the only pain I experienced afterward was in the lower palm of my hand where some significant bruising occurred. (Still numb there but the fingers are an order of magnitude better than before the surgery.)

I turn as part of my daily work and was cautiously turning small items a week later, golfing in 2. (YMMV) Keep it clean and avoid heavy impacts/ lifting and it's very short recovery time. (My nerve damage was pretty bad but that area on my palm is the only bit that is still numb)

Jim

Ray Bell
04-15-2010, 6:10 PM
I have had both wrists done. The right wrist was the every day run of the mil CT surgery, and healed very fast, within a couple of weeks, the relief was immediate though. The left wrist didn't heal so fast . I have broken that wrist at least twice and it needed extensive repair. The Dr. took bone from my hip to repair my wrist, and did the CT at the same time. I had 5 pins in my wrist for several months, a huge heavy duty cast and weakness for probably 6 months. I did all the post op exercises religiously, but it took that long before I was able to pull the clutch in on my motorcycle.

Norbert Ploetz
04-15-2010, 7:45 PM
:) Aaron; I am glad your getting this done.Usually the longer one waits and the codition of the nerve will get worse, the longer it will take for the nerve to recover. You must realize and I see you already have about the nerve not recovering 100%.Your CTS will disappear by at least 60% to 80% and maybe even more.The surgoen might restrict you with that hand for a short time like a week to ten days.If you have it done endoscopically,then the time might even be shorter.:)Norbert Ploetz

David E Keller
04-15-2010, 9:05 PM
My personal opinion is that endoscopic carpal tunnel release(CTR) is a big no-no. While recovery times may be slightly better(if at all), there is a very real risk for transecting the motor branch of your median nerve... That's the nerve that make the muscles at the base of your thumb work. It can happen with any CTR, but the risk is much higher with endoscopic surgery. I feel strongly that the risks of the endoscopic procedure far outweigh any potential benefit. IMHO, endoscopic CTR is a procedure in search of an indication.

Jeff Nicol
04-15-2010, 9:06 PM
I'll be following this thread closely as I would certainly benefit from having my right hand done. Some days I almost wish for a chainsaw accident...Funny enough, it is usually the day after I've used the chainsaw for any length of time!
Steve, I had all the tests done that Aaron had done with the needles and electirc shocks. I had a very mild case of CT but I am afflicted with I guess they call "Vibrating Tool Syndrom" It will give you the same feelings as CT but the tests don't show any problems with the nerves through the tunnel. Since I had both shoulders with torn rotar cuffs I have some sort of nerve damage in the right shoulder after 2 attempts at fixing the full thickness tear. The repair has not taken and it sucks. The left one has a 75%+ tear in the same tendon but no surgery on that one yet and maybe never. It hurts and the range of motion is bad but not as bad as the one with 2 surgeries!

So you may be suffering from the Vibrating tool issue like me.

Aaron, take care and good luck with the surgery.

Jeff

Aaron Wingert
04-15-2010, 10:22 PM
David I especially appreciate your advice. :) From a number of you guys' comments it sounds like CTS is fairly common. Surgery isn't until May 14th but I'll definitely post after the surgery and during the recovery to let people know how I fare and how it helps or hinders my turning!

I wasn't aware of the endoscopic option but it doesn't sound like that's what they're going to do to me. They described a 1" incision at the base of the palm parallel to the fingers, that's it, no other small incisions or scopes/cameras. I think they're going right through that ligament.

Best part is that it is conscious sedation, not full anesthesia. Kind of excited about that...I hate the idea of anesthesia. Doc said that I won't care and I won't remember, but I won't be totally "out". :D

Mike Lipke
04-15-2010, 11:28 PM
Well, I had the "open" procedure on the right hand, and the arthroscopic on the left. Both provided instant relief, but the arthroscopic method was done by a Professor of Hand Surgery at a University, and if I had more hands to be done, they would all be done with the scope. Healing time and "discomfort" were light years better on the left.
Right hand used a lot of pain pills and had hand on top of head whenever possible.
Left hand I used Ibuprofen for about 2 days, then nothing.

I wasn't turning at that time, but I would say if you have an open procedure, 4 -6 weeks wait.

Arthroscopic, maybe 2.

Mike Turner
04-22-2010, 5:22 AM
Aaron I fell your pain. I also would like to know as I am going to have something done to my hands. I can hardy open a zip lock baggie or open a door. I have they call trigger fingers.
I have the trigger finger also...A shot worked in my right hand but before I could get back for follow up visit the left started hurting almost same way..Shot did no good on it...Surgery on May 10 for it..Very high success rate for this surgery Ive read......I had carpal tunnel surgery many yrs ago on both and did simple things pretty soon but wasnt turning then so not much help there ! Good luck.......Mike

Toney Robertson
04-22-2010, 5:58 AM
Aaron,

Good luck with your surgery.

Yea, those electromyograms are a hoot aren't they? I think it is one way doctors rid themselves of their dark side!!! :D

Toney

Joe Adams
04-22-2010, 10:35 AM
I live in Houston, and we are bombarded daily with television ads for the Brown Hand Center featuring "The Brown Procedure" for "Endoscopic Carpal Tunnel Release".

As I understand it, the namesake had his license revoked by the Texas medical board for some serious non-medical issues in his personal life. The ads state that he no longer practices medicine but the hand surgeons working there are trained in his technique.

That being said, I know a few people that swear by this procedure because of faster recovery times compared to the standard surgery so it might be worth looking into. If it's a valid approach, I would expect the endoscopic procedure to be used by at least some surgeons in your area.

Roger Osborne
04-23-2010, 9:57 PM
I'm 57 and it's been about 3 to 4 years ago when, after wearing wrist supports to sleep in for close to four years, I decided I'd had enough and sought surgical relief. I was doing "home care" as a respiratory therapist at the time and every patient I asked about their carpal tunnel surgery said to do both at the same time. I'm not trying to be rude or brash in any way, but I had one major (to me) concern. How does one clean himself after going potty. I asked several people including a retired pastor, a retired doctor and each and every one had the exact same answer: "Don't worry about it". No other explanation, ever. So I had both done at the same time. And I can tell ya, with the anesthesia they give you, you don't poop for a week anyway. So, don't worry about it. Do it. It was the best thing I've ever done for my body. Instant relief!

How's that for a first post?

Aaron Wingert
04-23-2010, 10:46 PM
How's that for a first post?

Welcome to the Creek Roger! You know, I had the same concern. Not sure my wife actually loves me THAT MUCH. :p

Since I have twin 4 month old boys I'm going to do one hand at a time, as I need one hand reasonably functional to handle them!

Tim Hughes37
04-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Aaron, had my right hand done when I was 42 and haven't regretted it for one minute. I work with computers for a living and didn't miss one day of work. I had it done on a Friday and was back at work on Monday. The doctor even sent me home after the surgery and recommended that I start using the hand to email friends and use the mouse for therapy that night. I was able to start working in the shop after about 8 days when they took the bulky bandages and support brace off. One thing I'll recommend is to get a tube of Vaseline Intensive Care lotion with Aloe. After they take the stiches out, you'll want to rub that into the scar several times a day. After a little bit, you won't even be able to tell that its a scar. It looks just like a wrinkle in the palm of your hand. Best of luck to you!!

Aaron Wingert
04-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Thanks for that tip Tim. I'm relieved to hear that you were able to get back to work quickly, as I hope to as well. Not so worried about another scar! Between 35 years of bumps and bruises, knee surgery, getting hit head on at 70mph by a drunk driver, and various shop/work injuries (including several stitches over my....One more scar is no biggie!

Aaron Wingert
05-14-2010, 4:38 PM
Had the surgery first thing this morning. Not too bad other than the seven sticks all over my hand and arm it took three nurses and an anesthesiologist to start the I.V.

I can safely say that I won't be on the lathe today! They put a big saran wrap dressing all over my palm and wrist and I'm not supposed to take it off until my appointment the 25th. There's a small piece of gauze over the incision so I can't see it or get to it past this darn clear plastic thing.
I bet I'm replacing the dressing with a waterproof band aid in less than 2 days. :rolleyes:

I know a lot of guys were interested in the process and how the recovery is, so I'll post back in the coming days to let you know how it goes.

Initially the pain isn't too terrible but my thumb doesn't have full feeling in it 8 hours after surgery (making me nervous). Hurts to lift anything or open the fridge door but I can hold a pen fairly well.

John Keeton
05-14-2010, 4:57 PM
Aaron, good to hear that you are doing well! My guess is that the thumb situation is temporary. Lot of trauma during a procedure like that, and just swollen tissue next to a nerve can numb it - or even a slight bruise to the nerve. Bet in a day or two it is fine!

Can't believe you are typing!!:eek:

Joshua Dinerstein
05-14-2010, 5:24 PM
Can't believe you are typing!!:eek:
Well yeah be he is doing that with his Toes. Or was that his Nose? Well either way it was one of the two.

Joshua

Aaron Wingert
05-14-2010, 7:20 PM
Actually typing doesn't hurt that bad. The hydrocodone seems to be decreasing my ability to do it accurately though. 50 words a minute with 49 mistakes...

kenneth walker
05-14-2010, 8:55 PM
Good to hear your doing well. dont over do it. Ken

Rob Wachala Jr
05-14-2010, 9:23 PM
My father just had his surgery about three weeks ago. He was back in his shop in a little over two weeks. He was back playing his online games the same day HaH.

Tim Hughes37
05-14-2010, 9:51 PM
Glad to see you're doing ok. You'll be back in the shop in no time!!

David E Keller
05-14-2010, 11:24 PM
Happy to hear you made it through without any trouble, but that's exactly what I expected to hear. I wouldn't worry about any numbness at this point.

Sorry I missed you when I was in your neck of the woods, but I'll give you a heads up if I make it back up that way. KC looks like a beautiful town with a TON OF TREES! I still have tree envy.

Aaron Wingert
05-15-2010, 3:04 PM
Happy to hear you made it through without any trouble, but that's exactly what I expected to hear. I wouldn't worry about any numbness at this point.

Sorry I missed you when I was in your neck of the woods, but I'll give you a heads up if I make it back up that way. KC looks like a beautiful town with a TON OF TREES! I still have tree envy.

Thanks for the advice David. Glad to hear the numbness doesn't concern you at this point because it had me spooked. Hopefully as the swelling goes down that will subside.

Sure is sore, that's for sure. Really sore. Hurts a lot more than I thought it would, but nothing I can't handle. To add insult to injury, the cleaner they applied in surgery to my entire hand won't come off....Looks like mustard stains...Tried alcohol, dish soap, pumice soap and even WD40 on my fingers. The stuff stinks so bad I can't stand to be in the same room as myself.

Yup David, we probably have a heck of a lot more trees than Enid, OK. One of these days I'm going to have to get a full size lathe to take advantage of that. I know a couple tree guys that would happily let me dig through their wood lots and it seems like a shame that all I ever turn is small stuff. One of the local cities has a yard waste dump that is just piles and piles and piles of tree trunks and logs.

David E Keller
05-15-2010, 3:58 PM
Aaron, that stuff on your skin is called duraprep. They make a lotion that takes it off easily. Your docs office or the sugery center should be able to gve you some. I'm not aware of anything else that will take it off. If you wait long enough, it will wear off as your skin does.

Aaron Wingert
05-18-2010, 9:10 PM
Update for those of you considering getting yours fixed...

The pain has really subsided, and I have full range of motion in all my fingers. I don't have much strength in my hand post-op and am reminded of the fact that I had a ligament cut when I overdo it...Simple things like untucking my shirt hurt like hell but I mowed the yard with no problem today (the self-propel throttle is on the right and I had no problem squeezing and releasing it repeatedly). The incision isn't tender at all but the palm and wrist do have some tender spots, so I'm not going to try turning for another few days at least. Still can't open jars. Removing the chuck from the lathe would be impossible. The slight numbness in my thumb hasn't subsided, at least yet.

Not regretting the surgery in the least.

The dang duraprep the wiped all over my arm hasn't come off but it has turned brown like a Gorilla glue stain on the skin of my arm and hand. I look like the guy that doesn't shower. Nice.

David E Keller
05-18-2010, 10:26 PM
Glad to hear you are feeling better. Your grip strength will come back, but it will take several months before you get full strength back. I still wouldn't worry too much about the numbness... It can take several years for the final neurologic result to be known. The tender spots will improve but likely not be entirely gone for a few months.

The duraprep is interesting stuff. Nothing but that special lotion takes it off easily(if anyone knows of something else, I'm interested). It does keep a slightly tacky quality which makes it ideal for collecting dirt. They'll be lots of people with sticky, dirty body parts in the office at your follow up visit.

Karl Card
05-19-2010, 2:00 AM
I am not a doctor so I dont know how all of this works but my dad was a boilermaker for most of his life. Alot of cases cts came up on his jobs and the largest percentage of these people were fixed using a chiropractor instead of surgery. Might be something to think about.

Aaron Wingert
05-23-2010, 5:07 PM
For those of you that were interested in how long it took for me to get back on the lathe.....

My wife wasn't here to talk me out of it or serve as a voice of reason, but for that matter she didn't chime in when I mowed the yard a couple days ago either. Went to the shop and turned two entire duck calls. No pain to speak of. It doesn't feel great, but it didn't hurt to grip the tools other than the tenderness of the incision and stitches.

That being said, you would not catch me roughing out a 16" bowl blank either. That would hurt.

So, the answer to my original quesion of how long it would take to get me turning again is nine days. :D Probably would be smarter to wait more like three weeks but I'm not that kind of guy sometimes.

Harvey Ghesser
05-23-2010, 5:40 PM
Glad to hear you're able to do some turning, Aaron!

I had the surgery on both hands about 20 years ago myself and can relate to the pain and apprehension you've gone through! It does take months to get back to normal so don't push it. Back off a bit if you're getting negative feedback (if you know what I mean).

Good luck! This too shall pass!

Harv

Charlie Reals
05-23-2010, 6:17 PM
I am not a doctor so I dont know how all of this works but my dad was a boilermaker for most of his life. Alot of cases cts came up on his jobs and the largest percentage of these people were fixed using a chiropractor instead of surgery. Might be something to think about.

Oh no Karl ya can't let that secret out:eek:. I was told 30 years ago I had ct and have been controlling it every time it flares up by using a pressure point just inside the elbow, it hurts like hell until it releases but it beats surgery and I never missed a day of work because of it. I am not a doctor but I have debated this with more than a few of them over the years.