PDA

View Full Version : Help for cracked plane?

Dan Hahr
04-14-2010, 10:47 PM
I have what appears to be an old Stanley #7C. One of the sides has a crack that runs from the front of the "hump" about 4 inches towards the heel. It is barely visible unless you put pressure on it. Is there any chance of welding it or any other hope for it?

Thanks, Dan

Joe Rogers
04-15-2010, 7:15 AM
If the crack doesn't get to the sole in the area of the mouth I would just monitor the crack and use it. It could be welded or brazed but there is a chance of some warpage if care isn't used during the repair.
Joe

Russell Sansom
04-15-2010, 1:08 PM
I have always been told that you can't weld cast iron, that they have to be brazed. Over the years I have seen many brazed planes and I have never seen a welded one.
I would think your #7 is highly compromised...that it will flex along its length. Evelery time you have a problem with it you have to suspect the crack. I'm happiest in my shop when variables like that are eliminated.

lowell holmes
04-15-2010, 1:49 PM
You might arrest the development of the crack by drilling a small hole (1/32 or 1/16) at the end of the crack. I don't know, just a thought.

Michael Titus
04-15-2010, 3:25 PM
I have an old Stanley #4 which had a crack running from one cheek to the mouth. I was able to flex the metal to open the crack a little, and worked in some epoxy using a dental pick. I don't know how long it will last, but so far it has prevented further cracking / flexing during light use. You could also try a low-viscosity cyanoacrylate glue like Hot Stuff.

Kemil Pepin
04-15-2010, 7:25 PM
I think that the crack will give you problems in the long run if you want to use this plane. If you have a friend who could braze it cheap or free, that would be the way to go. It wouldn't be worth paying a metal shop to do it. You would probably need to lap the sole flat after the repair.

Bill Houghton
04-15-2010, 9:56 PM
I have a Stanley 10-1/2 bench rabbet that came with a crack across one cheek. A friend welded it, badly; the front and back of the sole were out of alignment by about 1/16". My uncle saved it by grinding out the previous weld, clamping both parts (front and back) to a surface plate, and welding it again. It's held up for years.

Brian Kent
04-15-2010, 11:13 PM
What is the difference between welding and brazing?

Bob Warfield
04-15-2010, 11:23 PM
I'm no expert on the subject but welding is fuseing two similar metals together. Brazeing is more or less like soldering in that you are adding brass filler rod at a fairly low temperature.
Good Luck,
Bob Warfield

James Scheffler
04-16-2010, 9:33 AM
I have a Stanley 10-1/2 bench rabbet that came with a crack across one cheek. A friend welded it, badly; the front and back of the sole were out of alignment by about 1/16". My uncle saved it by grinding out the previous weld, clamping both parts (front and back) to a surface plate, and welding it again. It's held up for years.

I have one that has a break in the same place. I don't know anyone who welds or brazes, but there is a shop near me that does those things. Is welding or brazing better for this repair? Is there anything I need to tell them other than clamping to a flat surface? What is a fair price for the job?

Thanks!
Jim

lowell holmes
04-16-2010, 10:28 AM
I believe that cast iron can be brazed. I brazed cast iron (I don't remember what) with a brass rood and a mapp gas torch. It was not difficult.

Check this site out. I Googled "How to braze cast iron"

http://www.ehow.com/how_4733614_braze-cast-iron.html

http://www.ehow.com/way_5895893_can-repair-cast-iron-break_.html

george wilson
04-16-2010, 10:38 AM
To braze cast iron,you must grind away the crack nearly clear through the iron's thickness. Then,you fill the crack in with the brazing rod. It makes a wide,very obvious joint of brazing material. It is very strong,though.

If you can possibly grind the crack from the inside of the plane,leaving a thin area of the original metal to fit together on the outside of the plane,the joint will be minimal,and much more acceptable. You can repaint the inside of the plane to cover the brazing.

We fixed a Stanley #1 that had been broken in 2 through the throat by brazing from the inside after grinding a "Vee" almost all the way through. you could still see a fine line on the outside,but it wasn't too bad. That plane still had the decal on the handle. Must have been new when it was broken.

I don't think you could get away with using a Mapp gas torch. Probably you would oxidize the joint trying to get it hot enough,and ruin the repair. Best use an oxy acetylene
torch to begin with.

no kind of glue is going to effectively repair a cracked plane. There isn't enough surface area to let epoxy or other glue get a good enough grip. Any strain on it,and it will break,leaving you with a contaminated joint.

Josh Bowman
04-16-2010, 3:18 PM
Brian,
Welding is where you melt the metal of the object being welded as well at the rod donor. The result on a good weld is it can be ground down and you can hardly see the weld. Brazeing is melting a lower temperature rod into a crack where if it's clean and fluxed correctly will stick and can be as strong as some welds, but stands out like a sore thumb.
Cast iron CAN be welded, however the piece must be heated to high tempertures and is kind of iffy that the piece will not warp or crack in another place.
I am NOT a metal worker, but my brother in law is and I've watched him many times and seen the results.

Dan Hahr
04-16-2010, 8:09 PM
I will try to find someone that will braze the crack after I prepare it with a v groove. If not I will attempt it myself. I did manage to braze a broken cast iron tool rest on a grinder with a MAPP gas torch. It was not pretty though!

George, should I be concerned with heating the plane to the point that it will warp? I can clamp it to a flat surface, but it is very flat even with the crack. Should I cool it after brazing any way or just let it cool in the air?

Thanks again, Dan

george wilson
04-16-2010, 11:54 PM
It will probably warp to some degree,and you'll have to lap it straight. Perhaps if the broken spot isn't too near the sole,you could clamp the plane to a flat piece of thick steel plate. Let it get fully cool before clamping. Use some all steel heavy duty C clamps that you don't mind getting hot. I mean,say,6" C clamps that weigh a few pounds each.

Johnny Kleso
04-17-2010, 1:07 PM
I would say it is not worth the effort to fix it :(
Use it for parts and buy another base or whole plane from eBay is what I would do..

Derek Noel
04-17-2010, 1:51 PM
any on know it preheating the plane would help prevent warping? I have considered putting my cracked plane in the oven at 450 prior to brazing or welding on order to minimize the temperature difference across the body.

Fortunately the crack does not seem to affect my planes performance so i have not attempted anything yet.

scott spencer
04-17-2010, 2:58 PM
What are the odds of finding an old #7 that's a basket case, refurbing the body from it, and transferring all the parts from your current #7 to the refurbed body?

george wilson
04-18-2010, 2:26 PM
It may be or not be "worth" it to fix the old plane,but fixing it would add skill and experience to you. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent working on completely worthless stuff,but it helped my knowledge and skill grow,and that is the valuable outcome. Makes you too stubborn to give up,too,and that goes with the territory.

Dan Hahr
04-19-2010, 1:42 AM
I agree, plus it's kind of fun. It's not like I can mess it up much more.:D

Thanks, George.
Dan