PDA

View Full Version : Have an extra bowl?

Robert McGowen
04-14-2010, 10:25 PM
I participated in a charity auction last year year to raise money for a young lady that needed a lung transplant. You can read about it here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=111222 Well, the transplant was done and she is doing well. Though she has been in the hospital numerous times since then, her spirits never dampen. I am participating again this year in another auction to help pay the immense bills and hope my donation sells for more than last year ($360). I have read numerous threads about what to do with all the bowls and super great items that get turned and then stored away. Well, if you want to help someone out with them, please PM me and I will see that they are properly presented and auctioned for a good cause. I will be glad to help with shipping costs if you need me to and will post pictures of the turnings and the auction. You can google "amber's angels" for information on the charity that she started and some information about her or go to www. my breath of life.org (no spaces) for information on the auction. If you have any questions, please PM me. Thanks in advance!

Steve Schlumpf
04-15-2010, 6:53 PM
Count me in! PM sent!

Robert McGowen
04-15-2010, 7:44 PM
I already have one shy, un-named donor sending something, so the total is up to 2. Thanks!

Richard Madison
04-15-2010, 8:12 PM
Robert, what's the cut-off date for donations? May take a while to get something back from del Mano. Just kidding about that last part.

Robert McGowen
04-15-2010, 8:39 PM
Richard, I am guessing around May 11th. That would give me a week to get things together and delivered. Anything that is of the caliber that I have seen you do would really be great! We could meet again and I could trade you piece of mesquite for your donation!

Tom Hamilton
04-15-2010, 8:42 PM
Robert, count me in. Where do you want the bowls sent? Blessings, Tom

Jeff Nicol
04-15-2010, 8:47 PM
I think I can find a nice piece to donate to the cause. It sounds very wonderful to me. PM on the way

Jeff

Richard Madison
04-15-2010, 9:51 PM
Robert, I'll call del Mano in the morning. PM on the way shortly.

John Keeton
04-16-2010, 7:36 AM
I am in! Can you PM me an address?

Hilel Salomon
04-16-2010, 8:07 AM
My stuff doesn't belong with the great turners and turnings above, but I will be happy to send you some bowls. I won't be able to do it for about two weeks, as I'm off to Boston to baby sit. Please PM me with address.

Hilel

Robert McGowen
04-16-2010, 8:28 AM
John, Tom, Hilel, Jeff, and Richard - PM sent. Thanks!

And don't let the bowl title mislead you..... A pen that I donated sold for $105..... ;)

Bernie Weishapl
04-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Count me in. PM sent.

Robert McGowen
04-16-2010, 10:28 AM
PM returned, Bernie!

There are several people that have contacted me that did not post in the thread. I guess they are shy :), but I wanted everyone to know that the participation by everyone is great! Thanks!

Pete Jordan
04-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Pm me, Robert,

I'm in.

Steve Schlumpf
04-17-2010, 3:50 PM
Well I managed to get the hollow form all boxed up and ready to be shipped. Should get it out Monday or Tuesday for sure!

Happy to see so many Creekers participating! Hope to see a photo or 2 of what everyone sent to the auction! Will also keep my fingers crossed that everything combined pulls in some big $$$ for the young lady and her family!

Feels good to be able to help someone out - and all I had to do was turn something!!! :D:D:D

Ron Erickson
04-17-2010, 9:42 PM
I am in also PM me address.

David E Keller
04-17-2010, 10:06 PM
Robert, I'm in if you are interested in a pen.

I'll happily send either of the rollerballs in this thread if you want them.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=138304

Just drop me a PM with an address if you're interested.

Debbie Fett
04-18-2010, 12:17 AM
I would like to thank everyone that is being so kind to donate something for my daughters benefit. Robert is such a good friend to help us out. I had contacted him to see if he would maybe donate one of his beautiful artworks again this year. The vase he donated last year was so beautiful. Amberlyn herself had her eye on it. lol But it went to one of our friends that was Amberlyn's nurse when she was in the hospital multiple times over the years. Paula means alot to our family and right after the benefit she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Paula has said that when things were tough she would look at the beautiful vase and smile. So not only did the vase help out at the benefit it also helped our dear friend in her time of need as well. God Bless all of you that are wanting to help us. Robert, you have a special place in our heart. Thank you is not enough to say. We are humbled by all the outpooring of love, support and prayers. May God Bless all of you ten fold!!! Debbie ~Amberlyn's Mom~

Charles Drake
04-18-2010, 5:19 AM
Please send an address

Charlie

Tony De Masi
04-18-2010, 7:46 AM
Ok I'm officially in Robert:) Is that really you in the avatar? Never would have guessed your previous occupation:rolleyes:

Tony

Toney Robertson
04-18-2010, 9:33 PM
Sounds like a worthy cause.

I hope the auction goes well.

Toney

Roger Bullock
04-19-2010, 7:59 AM
Robert, I can't turn a "Keeton" just yet so I could not send a bowl but I do turn a decent pen from historical woods or whitetail antler. Count me in, PM sent. Good luck.

Robert McGowen
04-19-2010, 6:03 PM
And the winner of the 1st actually received donation is...............drum roll please...................

Baxter Smith!

A super spalted maple bowl and a 1/8" thick (or less) small plum vase. When Baxter gives you his "I am not much of a turner" story, don't believe him!

If you have responded, either in this thread or through a PM, and I have NOT responded back to you, please let me know. I believe that I am all caught up and want to make sure that I did not miss anyone.

Thanks!

Steve Schlumpf
04-19-2010, 6:13 PM
Congrats to Baxter on being the first! I did make it to the post office today and got the package sent out - so you can expect another delivery in a couple of days!

Bill Bulloch
04-19-2010, 6:25 PM
PM me the info...I can probably find a thing or two around here.

Jeff Nicol
04-19-2010, 6:27 PM
I had the intention of sending one out today, but the old body was in full revolt most of the morning. I did not get much of anything done today. I am turning some wood bearings for a friends new/old disc he bought. I am making them out of American Elm and that will last a good long time. He stopped in to get the parts he gave me to sand blast them and paint them. Lots of talking and not much work got done. Then I went and looked at an old bandsaw with I think 26" wheels on it, I am going to get it for $150 and a 12 pack so I think that is a good deal! It is about 7' tall so may have to do some reoganizing in the shop!

Hopefully tomorrow I will get one shipped out.

Jeff

Robert McGowen
04-21-2010, 5:38 PM
I received packages from J. Keeton, T. De Masi, and S. Schlumpf today!

And first prize for packaging goes to ................

Steve "Bubblewrap, foam, tape, paper, and box" Schlumpf!

Everything arrived in one piece all the way around and they all look great!

It is not too late to donate something if you wish to. Anything mailed by 5/1/10 should get here in plenty of time. Just PM or post. Thanks!

Steve Schlumpf
04-21-2010, 5:42 PM
I won!!! I won!!! Yipee!!!!!!!!!

Jeff Nicol
04-21-2010, 5:52 PM
Robert, My box went out yesterday priority mail so you should see it tomorrow or the next day. This seems like something that could be done for lots of causes all over the place! If every anyone else is seeking more donations I am always willing to do what I can.

It is a great thing!

Jeff

Bill Bolen
04-21-2010, 7:25 PM
Robert, after visiting the sites you posted I just have to help out. If you will pm a shipping address I have a few pieces I would like to donate...Bill..

Jack Mincey
04-21-2010, 7:54 PM
Robert, I put a turkey call in the mail today.
Jack

Robert McGowen
04-21-2010, 8:05 PM
Robert, I put a turkey call in the mail today.
Jack

Thanks, Jack!

William - PM sent

I have actually learned a lot with just the first few items received, turning wise that is. I never realized how thin "thin" can be (Smith and Schlumpf vases), how a really nice finish sets off the bowl (De Masi), and how to make the most of a super nice piece of wood (Keeton and Smith). It is kind of cool to inspect other people's work up close.

Tony De Masi
04-22-2010, 7:44 AM
Glad all arrived in one piece Robert. I was a bit concerned about the NE but I hoped that there were enough shaving in there to help cushion it some.

Tony

John Keeton
04-22-2010, 7:48 AM
So, Tony sent a load of mulch with his in an effort to gain extra points for packaging!! Shrewd, but no match for Schlumpf!!:D;)

Greg Savage
04-22-2010, 8:13 AM
Robert.....Could you use a nice peppermill for your auction?

Cheers!
Greg

Robert McGowen
04-22-2010, 4:44 PM
So, Tony sent a load of mulch with his in an effort to gain extra points for packaging!! Shrewd, but no match for Schlumpf!!:D;)

I was going to mention that (my wife says I have no tact), but decided not to. But yes, Tony could eeeeeeasily win the most resourceful packaging award. Turn a bowl, catch the shavings in a box, pack the bowl in the shavings, ship it. :D

Tony De Masi
04-22-2010, 7:02 PM
If I'd have known that there were going to be awards given out then I would have tried harder. :D

Tony

Steve Schlumpf
04-22-2010, 7:30 PM
If I knew the rules ahead of time - and that you could use 'shavings' - I would have shipped it in a BIGGER box!

John Keeton
04-22-2010, 7:58 PM
Steve, I don't know about you, but I am going to jump the gun and catch up with De Masi! The truck goes out tomorrow with my mulch..uuhh...shavings!! Note I said truck, not box!:D

Robert, sounds like you are getting great response! Did you get back with Greg on the peppermill??

Bill Bolen
04-22-2010, 8:07 PM
Come on Steve....we know your neighbors want that mulch!...Bill..

Steve Schlumpf
04-22-2010, 8:15 PM
John - I am just bummed.... if I had known I could have used shavings...

Oh well, at least my bubble wrap had not been popped!

Next time I will take my turning to a professional wrapping place and have it gift wrapped! Lets see Tony compete with that!

Tony De Masi
04-22-2010, 8:23 PM
Steve, growing up in New England and being a thrifty yankee ya use what ya got. Why would you buy bubble wrap when you have all those nice shavings under that lathe? :rolleyes:

John, ya better make it a big truck. It's going to rain here all weekend and I've got ten blanks, walnut and cedar, just waiting on me. I think I'll use my new Grumbine technique to make those really big, fat, wet, shavings.:D If you want I'll send you a box too:rolleyes:

Tony

Steve Schlumpf
04-22-2010, 8:50 PM
Steve, growing up in New England and being a thrifty yankee ya use what ya got. Why would you buy bubble wrap when you have all those nice shavings under that lathe? :rolleyes:

Not my lathe! When I get done - everything is hauled out to the compost! I did have bubble wrap and some foam left over from replacing my computer - so, in true Yankee fashion - I used what I had.

However - if I had known there was going to be a packing competition - I would have thrown a bow into the box! :eek:
--------------------------------------------------------------

On a more serious note - I am really happy to see all the support for a worthy cause. I will be real interested in seeing how everything turns out as far as the action.

Thanks - Robert - for putting all this together! It's been fun!

Greg Savage
04-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Robert......Peppermill and PM sent!......via UPS

Cheers!

Robert McGowen
04-27-2010, 6:57 AM
I am sorry that I have not updated this for a couple of days, but if I knew how busy you were after you retired, I might have tried to work a little longer! (Not really, but that sounds good!)

Items received Thursday 4/23:

Jeff Nicol - Black cherry burl bowl and a NE maple bowl
Bernie Weishapl - a pen, lidded box, and a box elder bowl
Ron Erickson - Walnut hollow form and a walnut bowl
Bill Bullock - Matching salt and pepper mills, hand-painted bowl, toothpick holder

Items received Friday 4/24:

Jack Mincey - Turkey call

Items received Monday 4/27:

David Keller - Pen and lidded box
Louis Harvill - set of matching goblets, 2 other goblets and candle holder
William Bolen - Pen, lidded box, walnut hollow form, cherry bowl

If you still want to participate, anything mailed by this Friday should arrive in time, but after that I will be unable to deliver them in time for the auction. I really, really, really, want to thank everyone for all of the time and effort they have put into this. The benefactor of the auction (Amberlyn) went back into the hospital with a few problems this weekend, but hopefully will not be in there that long. If you skipped to the end of this thread, Amberlyn's mother posted a thank you in the middle of the thread. She really does appreciate all that everyone has done!

Steve Schlumpf
04-27-2010, 9:59 AM
Robert - I think it's great that so many folks have decided to participate! So far, what's the total number of pieces you are taking to the auction? You going to have to rent a uhaul to make the trip?

Bernie Weishapl
04-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Robert glad to see everyone getting involved. I hope the auction does well. Keep us informed.

steven carter
04-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Robert,

I don't know how I missed this post. PM me and I will get something in the mailb by the end of the week.

Steve

Robert McGowen
04-27-2010, 1:09 PM
I returned several PM's today, so please let me know if you have not received a reply yet!

I inadvertently left Toney Robertson off the received list. He sent one of his wooden roses (I am waiting to see if the wife bids on it!) and a nice elm bowl. Thanks, Toney!

Wayne Hendrix
04-27-2010, 1:44 PM
I am no where near what these guys can turn but if you pm me the info I'll send a pen or two.

Tom Hamilton
04-27-2010, 8:00 PM
Robert, watch for the USPS flat rate box. It left Georgia today (Tuesday).

Thanks for ramrodding this effort. It's great to be a part of it.

Best regards, Tom

Robert McGowen
04-29-2010, 5:00 PM
Robert, watch for the USPS flat rate box. It left Georgia today (Tuesday).

Thanks for ramrodding this effort. It's great to be a part of it.

Best regards, Tom

I received a super nice cherry bowl (more like a candy dish) from Tom Hamilton today. Thanks, Tom!

Robert McGowen
04-29-2010, 6:48 PM
UPS just dropped off a very professionally made mesquite pepper mill sent by Greg Savage. I like the way that the joint between the top and bottom is hidden in the grooves. Very well done and thanks Greg!

Roger Bullock
04-30-2010, 6:39 AM
Sorry, sorry, sorry :( I mailed two Cocobolo pens, a Cocobolo pendant, and a figured Hickory bottle stopper on Tuesday but I forgot to send all the shavings. As soon as I find a large crate.....I mean box, I'll get them into the mail to you.....Can I send them COD? :rolleyes:

Scott Hackler
04-30-2010, 10:40 AM
I dont want to hear about my paper towel packing method! You should see the box I sent today (I would think). :)

Greg Savage
04-30-2010, 12:11 PM
UPS just dropped off a very professionally made mesquite pepper mill sent by Greg Savage. I like the way that the joint between the top and bottom is hidden in the grooves. Very well done and thanks Greg!

Robert, It was my pleasure to be able to help out.

Robert McGowen
05-03-2010, 6:49 AM
Catching up over the weekend.

Received from Dennis Ford - a thin stemmed goblet

Received from Roger Bullock - 2 cocobolo pens, cocobolo pendant, and a hickory wine stopper.

Received from Scott Hackler - spalted sycamore and cocobolo pens, 2 Christmas ornaments (got me in trouble, Scott. Wife is like, oh, I did not know you could make these.... thanks!)

Received from Charles Drake - walnut bowl, walnut hollow form with finial, spalted oak bowl, a super cool little ambrosia maple pot, and a really nice laminated peppermill.

Thanks, guys!

Robert McGowen
05-03-2010, 6:51 AM
You guys are generous beyond all belief. Amberlyn is still in the hospital from last week with a blood clot. She will hopefully be out this week sometime. I will be posting a group photo of all of the turnings I have received, plus some photos of the auction itself. I know that there are a couple of items on the way still, but I have to cut this off at this point so that I have time to label and deliver everything. You guys should really give yourselves a pat on the back! More to follow and thanks again!

Robert

Robert McGowen
05-06-2010, 5:29 PM
Trying to wrap this up so I can get everything sorted out.

I received a desert ironwood pen in a wooden case from Larry Pickering.

From Doug Swanson, I received a rosewood wine stopper, a maple and walnut bird house ornament, and a bubinga pen.

I know that there is one more item on the way and then this should get wrapped up!

Tom Hamilton
05-06-2010, 5:43 PM
Robert, thanks for the update. Sounds like the "hand turned section" of the auction will be varied and full!

Tom, in D'Ville, waiting for the group pic!!

Robert McGowen
05-07-2010, 9:52 AM
I received a Wall Street II pen in black titanium and gold fitted with a tulip wood body from Wayne Hendrix.

This was the last thing sent that I am aware of. If you sent something and I did not post that I received it, please let me know. There were a few people that said they were sending something and I did not receive anything from them, so I don't know if I did not receive it or it was just not sent.

Thanks,
Robert

Steve Schlumpf
05-07-2010, 10:46 AM
You know... just thinking ... seeing on how you are managing such a large inventory of turned items - when everything is finished, you may want to open up your own clearing house for turnings!

Just a thought in case you have nothing to do.

Robert McGowen
05-11-2010, 8:22 PM
I realized that I did not acknowledge that I received a rather large walnut bowl from Steven Carter. It was made from a walnut crotch and is quite nice!

Tom Hamilton
05-27-2010, 3:51 PM
Hi Robert: Just saw this thread in my subscription list and wondered out the auction ended up. Can you give us an update?

Thanks, Tom

Richard Madison
05-29-2010, 9:53 PM
Bump--------.

Robert McGowen
05-29-2010, 10:18 PM
Hi,

Sorry for the late response. I started another post to say "Thank you" as this one got so long, it was getting hard to follow. I saw a couple of people posted and I could never actually find the post in the thread!

The auction turned out well. I think that just under $4000 was raised. I was not able to note what each individual piece went for. (I was drinking Blue Moon beer and letting the wife bid!) I do have to admit to her purchasing one piece. Will the maker of a really nice walnut hollow form that has the signature of W. Bowlen on the bottom please stand up! :eek:

Thank you again to everyone that participated. It was so much fun to see everyone's work and to be able to compare it side by side. I learned that I will probably never turn hollow forms (thanks again, Bill!), that I really did not know how thin "thin" was, and that there are a great bunch of people here at the Creek.

Robert

Scott Hackler
05-29-2010, 11:31 PM
Thats awesome Robert. I sure hope that money helps that little girl. I am very pleased to have been part of the donations (if even to a smaller extent than some other members). Your a good man for organizing this for her.