PDA

View Full Version : New Drill Press Table "PICS"

Mark Stutz
11-13-2004, 11:18 PM
I am in the middle of a project that involves drilling lots of precisely placed holes. The simple table was the first piece of shop equipment I ever made several years ago. I was never all that concerned about a smple thing like a drill press :o . No sharp blades or cutters, right. Well, after seeing what Bill Grumbine went through :eek: , I decided to pay it a little more respect. I took a little time out of the project to make a new DP table. Right now I have a bench top model but this should work when I eventually get a floor model. Should make things easier and safer. :D
The table is made of some scrap MDF and banded with scrap walnut. Top is scrapformica I got for a couple of bucks. Now I remember why I only had a small piece of MDF...I must have forgotten to THROW IT AWAY! I HATE MDF :mad: :eek: iT WILL TAKE ME LONGER TO CLEAN UP THE MESS THAN IT DID TO MAKE THE TABLE! :(

Jim Becker
11-13-2004, 11:27 PM
Good job on that bad boy!! 'Looks about the same size as the one I built. These auxiliary tables really make a difference with the DP in a woodworking environment.

Jerry Olexa
11-13-2004, 11:33 PM
Excellent job, Mark! Lots more accuracy now! Good pix too.

Joe Mioux
11-14-2004, 3:18 AM
Looks good Mark. You won't have to worry about things spinning away from you with that set up.

Best regards Joe

Tyler Howell
11-14-2004, 9:54 AM
Real nice Mark,
Form and function.

Kelly C. Hanna
11-14-2004, 9:57 AM
Wow! That's a great table you built. I may have to build one for my little DP!

Steve Roxberg
11-14-2004, 10:35 AM
It looks nice, did you use a design?

Mark Stutz
11-14-2004, 11:25 AM
Steve,
I didn't use any particular plans. I have looked at some of the commercial ones before. The size was actually dictated by the size scrap of MDF I had. (Did I say I remeber why I HATE MDF?) I placed the T-slots where they "seemed right". I cut out a portion of the back so that I could raise/lower the table without moving it front/back.

Ted Shrader
11-14-2004, 11:38 AM
Mark -

Very nice looking piece. Looks extremely versatile with all the adjustment features you built in. You even put in the Bill Grumbine Memorial Hold-Downs on the top of the fence. :) :)

You are right, it will transfer to a larger DP when that day comes.

Well done!

Ted

Russell Svenningsen
11-14-2004, 7:53 PM
Very nice work. I like that table and will build one like it soon.

Question.....I have an OLD Atlas DP. It was my grandfather's and works beautifully. I am not replacing it. However, modern DP's have hand cranks to raise/lower the table. Mine does not. It simply has a beefy clamp that squeezes the post. Raising or lowering is accomplished by loosening the collar, and swaying the table*gently* to and fro while applying force in the direction you'd like it to move.

My question(took a while to get here...), is it possible to retro-fit this DP with the hand crank function? Any help is appreciated.

Best,
Russell