PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Woodcraft TAT

Blake McCully
11-13-2004, 10:28 PM
My wife and I had the sad misfortune of being at the Woodcraft store in Robinson Town Center near Pittsburgh, PA. The adverts said it was to be held from 9:00 am until 5:00 pm.

We didn't get there until 10:00 or so. We went to the back were we suspected the turning would be. Lo and behold, there was NOONE there. I approached the owner/manager and said, "We're here for the turn-a-thon?" Yes with a question mark. We didn't think it was going on, maybe it was this weekend.

Oops, guess we better get things set up, we heard. After about a half an hour of waiting, forgot the band saw the first time. We finally got something going.

No, none of the blanks were set up. The blanks that were supplied looked like they were the ones that you would find on the table outside, you know, 50% off or something.

After prepping about 4 blanks, my wife started turning. Before she could get them turned round, I had to sharpen her scraper. Abyssmal.

One other fella came while we were there. SWMBO turned two, I was disgusted. We left around 12:45 and a total of three pens had been turned.

Probably our last trip to Woodcraft. What's really amazing is that we heard they were hosting one, before corporate sent out the emails. I talked to two different people at the store to offer my services to get things set up. We've been customers there for a number of years and I've taken a turning class there a year and a half ago.

If anyone else out there made it to the Pgh Woodcraft TAT, I'd sure like to hear your experience.

We're going to Rockler from now on.

Craig Fyock
11-13-2004, 11:05 PM
Man I am sorry you had such a rough experience. I can assure you it wasn't that way everywhere.

I attended the one at the Addisson TX store and we had a super time and WoodCraft and its employees were great. I have hear an updated account that the pen total was over 650 pushing 675 for the day. We had around 20 lathes running. We arrived around 8:30 and everything was ready and the employees gladly directed us to where we could set up our lathes, ran extra power, kept the shaving swept out of our way all day and did what ever we needed.

I wouldnt hold your experience against WoodCraft Im afraid it was just that store that didnt have it together for I have heard good things about the other TAT at the Fort Woth Store near us as well. I dont work for WoodCraft but I will support my local stores based on the way they treated us.

Like I said in my reply on the Addisson TAT thread its about the soldiers not the pens.

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-14-2004, 2:15 AM
The Peoria, Illinois Woodcraft Store has had two TAT's.

The first was on a Saturday last May. We completed or had turned in from local turners some 452 pens.

This past Thursday, I was there from 9am till 12:30. We had 7 lathes going and a production line with someone cutting blanks to size, another drilling them, someone installing the brass tubes, the turners doin' their thing, and someone assembling the pens. Even before we started, Woodcraft had about 100 blanks ready to turn. I took some pictures and will post them. I believe that Terry Q. was there for the end and has the final figures for this time.

Sorry your experience wasn't as good. All that shows is that the management and personnel make or break a business.

Roger and Phil in Peoria are committed to the program and to area woodworkers. As a past president of The Peoria Area Woodworkers, I am proud to have them as a source for not only products, but a free meeting place, and training center with knowledgable trainers. I would be remiss if I didn't say that one of our other wood/ tool suppliers (Pekin Hardwood), also offers us a free meeting place, and Quality education. WE are lucky to have two such organizations in one area.

Just MHO,
Bruce

Keith Outten
11-14-2004, 6:19 AM
Blake,

I have attended Turn-A-Thons at three different WoodCraft Stores in Virginia and all three were great. We always had plenty of blanks and supplies ready to go as well as cofee for everyone. All day the Staff would clean up and they always refused our offer to help with the cleanup at the end of the day. They made sure we had a continued supply of sandpaper and finishing supplies and I can't say enough about how friendly they were. Every manager and employee have always been very supportive of the effort to make pens for our troops.

Ken Salisbury and I have talked to several people at the WoodCraft home office and I can tell you they are all very nice and are behind Freedom Pens 100% all the way to the top of their organization.

Blake McCully
11-14-2004, 7:35 PM
I kinda figured that it was just our local store. Like I said before, I had volunteered my help if it was needed for set up. I've been shopping at that Woodcraft for a couple years and I know all the staff by name, and many of them know me.

When I talked with the fella that was supposed to be in charge of the event, he seemed very lackidasical about the whole thing. If fact when I was trying to discuss it way back in June, I was met with nothing but a blank stare.

No, I don't hold anything against Woodcraft in general, just that particular store. We have to travel over 70 miles to get there. It's somewhat shorter to Rockler, so I believe they'll be getting more of my business in the future.

Anyway, my wife and I, more my wife than me, are still turning on our own. We love being part of this project since I (we) served in uniform 14 years. And both our sons are veterans as well.

Keep the wood spinning and the chips flying.

GO STEELERS!!!

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-14-2004, 8:30 PM
Evenin' Blake. Every pen turned helps, whether one or one hundred.

I like the song, too - kind of like a pen received from home.

Bruce