PDA

View Full Version : 1950 Delta bandsaw - should I?

Dan Karachio
04-14-2010, 7:55 PM
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/1685893579.html

Saw this on Craigslist and am intrigued. They say the old iron is good stuff and this looks clean. Any opinions on old saws like this? Could you possibly get a riser kit for something this old, even if it is a Delta?

Brendan Plavis
04-14-2010, 8:15 PM
I dont think stock you could get a riser block. But with that said, you could probably get a custom one done. It would involve cutting the 'shaft' and welding in a block equivalant to the height. Then you would have to figure out belt size. It would cost mucho dinero, but no doubt it can be done.

Looks good, but, looks can kill(particularly if something really is wrong with it when you start it up.....)

-Brendan

glenn bradley
04-14-2010, 8:37 PM
Dad's got one older than that but, got it from his dad who got it new. After urethane tires and some Carter guides it is a real treat to use. I don't know about the riser. If I ever inherit dad's, I'll pass on that but, I have a 17" to take care of tall stuff so I have that option.

Matt Meiser
04-14-2010, 9:04 PM
I've got the late 70's edition. With 14" saws, the older the better for the most part. Castings are thicker and materials generally better. The basic castings for this saw didn't fundamentally change for years. The current production riser should fit along with the other included components. An exception might be the bar for the upper guides because at some point they switched from a hexagon to a round rod. I'm not sure how a riser would have any impact on belt size? It didn't on either of the 14" saws I've owned. It would use the standard 105" blade any other 14" saw with riser uses.

BTW, the light on that saw regularly sells in the $80 range alone on the OWWM site.

mark kosse
04-14-2010, 9:09 PM
Only if you like being happy.

jared herbert
04-14-2010, 10:24 PM
I have a delta bandsaw that I was able to determine was built in 1946. I bought a factory delta riser kit and it fit just fine. The only thing you have to specify is that the adjustable rod for the upper blade guide is a hex shaft rather than a round one. I do think the price is a little high though. Jared

Ed Harrow
04-14-2010, 11:16 PM
Mine is older than dirt - riser fit perfectly, but for the round vs hex post as mentioned. I wandered down to see Ralph in the machine shop, explained my problem, showed him the two, and good old Ralph reached into the stock pile and pulled out just the bit I needed.

Don't let that stop you.

Dan Karachio
04-16-2010, 11:46 PM
Well, I think I am going to pass. I really need one saw and resawing is going to be a concern. I suppose I could look into a riser and a bigger motor, but then it starts to add up and there are new saws ready to go. It's too bad. If I had room for this and another dedicated resaw machine I would jump on it. I like the old tools quite a bit.

Chip Lindley
04-17-2010, 1:12 AM
Oh well Dan, somebody will get a nice old Delta! But maybe not for $300. Probably less. The saw lacks it's factory stand and probably the long belt guard. It does, however, have an aftermarket fence. But, if you are thinking mainly resawing, think bigger! 14" saws with risers are *iffy* resawing near the 12" max.