PDA

View Full Version : Poppets

Mark Singer
11-13-2004, 8:32 PM
I had a chance to take pics of the poppets. They work with a bench and allow you to spin the leg or object while shaping... There is a screw that tighens the piece. They are really great and add flexibily to rasp and spokeshave work.

Tyler Howell
11-13-2004, 8:43 PM
OOOOH I get it!
I was think "something you do to a zit"
Thanks Mark

Jim Becker
11-13-2004, 8:48 PM
That's what I thought you were talking about...I 'member seeing them in your shop when I visited. 'Kinda like a lathe without the spiny action!

Mark Stutz
11-13-2004, 10:50 PM
It's probably obvious to everyone else but me, but how does one keep the object being shaped from spinning? Pressure alone?

Jim Becker
11-13-2004, 11:25 PM
It's probably obvious to everyone else but me, but how does one keep the object being shaped from spinning? Pressure alone?
Yup...it's just a "specialized vice". When you tighten up that bolt, it holds the workpiece secure, but still manuverable when you want it to be.

Mark Singer
11-14-2004, 1:25 AM
The "T" not hols a 1/4" x 20 bolt wich is sharpened to a point. It should be sharpened to a pyramid rather than a cone, so it engaes the workpiece and doesn't slip. The pressure is applied using the tail vise. As you shape using the spokeshave or rasp, you are free to spin the workpiece as necessary to achieve a smooth graceous form. Since your strokes are axial it does not tend to turn the workpiece until you move it with your hand.There are many bench accesories that really help hold different objects. This one is great because you have precise control and can really get into shaping the form. They are very easy to make. You may want 2 pair ...one taller for objects that curve more to get clearance from the bench.

Mark Singer
11-14-2004, 7:19 PM
Anyone make your poppets yet....they are great with coffee:D

Aaron Koehl
11-15-2004, 10:51 AM
doh! I have to get a shop first. ;)