PDA

View Full Version : Turning preview

Anthony Yakonick
11-13-2004, 8:23 PM
Some scrap cutoffs

John Shuk
11-13-2004, 8:34 PM
Very nice Anthony. I love Box Elder. Can't wait to see what you make. Got to see your work in the instant gallery at Totally Turning. If this stuff comes out anywhere near as nice it will be awesome.
John

Jim Becker
11-13-2004, 8:59 PM
That's a very interesting looking sculpture, Anthony! What do you call it??? :D

Anthony Yakonick
11-13-2004, 9:28 PM
That's a very interesting looking sculpture, Anthony! What do you call it??? :D
Le Scrap De Burn!

Firewood ;)

Joseph N. Myers
11-14-2004, 8:38 AM
Le Scrap De Burn!

Firewood ;)
Great looking stuff. And I'm sure you're kidding about firewood. If not, I'd be glad to turn it into pen blanks for the FPP (Freedom Pen Project). I'm sure the resulting pens would be fantastic and the color somewhat symbolic.

Regards, Joe

Ted Shrader
11-14-2004, 11:53 AM
Anthony -

Looks like you will busy for a while.

Le Scrap De Burn And I thought it was Pilé du Scrăp. :)

Regards,
Ted

Glenn Hodges
11-14-2004, 8:17 PM
I wish my scrap pile looked half that good.

Andy London
11-14-2004, 8:58 PM
Le Scrap De Burn!

Firewood ;)

No..no..no bud...that is embarquez le bois ŕ andy...now do you need my mailing addy?

Man I would love to have some box elder, can't buy it anywhere around here. There was some blanks at the wood show today but they had next to no color in them....I did pick up some big pieces of Sumac though.

Fred LeBail
11-14-2004, 9:07 PM
No..no..no bud...that is embarquez le bois ŕ andy...now do you need my mailing addy?

Man I would love to have some box elder, can't buy it anywhere around here. There was some blanks at the wood show today but they had next to no color in them....I did pick up some big pieces of Sumac though.

Andy, in our neck of the Canadian woods look for Manitobia Maple . May be easier to find.
Fred

Andy London
11-14-2004, 9:20 PM
Thanks Fred, I have quite a bit of figured Manitoba Maple, even a few burls but I really like the red streaks in the box elder....I am planning a road trip to MA next spring and hope to bring some back in the truck.

Not sure where you are in New Brunswick, I am originally from Perth-Andover.

Andy

Jim Becker
11-15-2004, 12:04 AM
Andy, "Manitoba Maple" and "Box Elder" are the same tree. But you may not get the color without the right conditions. For example, I've had Box Elder from Colorado that was nearly white.

Andy London
11-15-2004, 5:58 AM
Andy, "Manitoba Maple" and "Box Elder" are the same tree. But you may not get the color without the right conditions. For example, I've had Box Elder from Colorado that was nearly white.

I did some research on the Box Elder a while back and found the red streaks are created by the box elder beetle which we do not have here, could be due to the climate...I guess I never looked into which species it was a part of. Our Manitoba or soft maple is pretty white.