PDA

View Full Version : Which blades for DW735?

Dan Friedrichs
04-13-2010, 11:23 PM
I need some new blades for my DW735. The Dewalt ones are $55, and the Infinity ones are $80. Is there a significant difference?

Also, other than the ~$400 Shelix head, is there a more economical replacement head with indexable cutters?

(sorry for starting a new thread on this often-discussed topic. I couldn't find a recent thread discussing this topic with new prices)

Myk Rian
04-14-2010, 7:32 AM
No matter what blades you buy, you'll get nicks in them. Depends on how much you want those nicks to cost.
Haven't priced anything but the Byrd. That's what I bought.

Wayne A Hall
04-14-2010, 12:30 PM
I have used both. The Infinity seems to be the better of the two.

Dan Friedrichs
04-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Wayne, do you think the Infinity are worth the extra $25?

Kyle Iwamoto
04-14-2010, 1:41 PM
I just posted this on a recent thread I but got no replys.

There is a Global Spec banner below. They offer HSS for 40 bucks, and carbide for 100. Anyone try those? As mentioned, I want to avoid buying the DeWalt blade replacement, since I personally had a really short lifespan. My planer is not even a month old. They got nicked planing regular BORG pine 1X6. The planer itself, I have NO complaints. Better finish than my drum sander.

Dave Sweeney
04-14-2010, 5:49 PM
Don't blame the knives for getting nicked when planing BORG pine, it's usually full of knots.

Kyle Iwamoto
04-14-2010, 7:15 PM
Don't blame the knives for getting nicked when planing BORG pine, it's usually full of knots.

I like knots. I planed 2 pine boards. I take off 1/2 turn at a time. Should the blades not last longer than that?

Homer Faucett
04-14-2010, 7:30 PM
Knots should not be causing knicks in HSS, at least not if it's good steel. I've planed plenty of cherry and maple with knots in it, which should be one heckuva lot harder than pine, with a Ryobi AP-12, and never had knicks from that. I've also planed plenty of oak without problems. Dewalt used to be well known for selling crummy blades on the DW-735, and even replaced the blades for some people with short lifespans. I thought they had fixed it a while back. I guess not.

Kyle Iwamoto
04-14-2010, 8:31 PM
No on'e given Global (banner ad below) a shot? They're a sponsor. Perhaps I'll take the plunge and try a set.

I was hoping that DeWalt had fixed the blade problem too. Maybe I'll go complain to the BORG and see if they will toss in a set of replacement blades.

Mark Kasparoff
04-14-2010, 10:35 PM
Before you buy another set, just reverse your current blades. They are double sided.

Mike Goetzke
04-14-2010, 11:47 PM
+1 for Byrd here. Just put one in my brand new DW735 last weekend. I mill all of my lumber now so bought it for the life factor but a HUGE added bonus is how quiet it runs compared to a knifed lunchbox.

Mike

Kyle Iwamoto
04-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Before you buy another set, just reverse your current blades. They are double sided.

Yes I know, but thank you. I was just thinking of getting a backup set, since they didn't last too long. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and save up for a shelix. I really do like the planer. I printed the last thread's instructions for the changeout.