PDA

View Full Version : Segmented Sun and Moon

Larry Marley
04-13-2010, 10:33 PM
This is an extension of the Country Mile turning...

Curly maple, Pecan, Cherry, Hard maple, Ebony, Bloodwood, Pau Amarillo, Purple heart.

324 Pieces, 9.25" wide by 7.25" tall.

Bernie Weishapl
04-13-2010, 10:39 PM
Wow Larry that is a beauty. I like the form and finish looks good.

Baxter Smith
04-13-2010, 10:41 PM
Very nice work!

Scott Hackler
04-13-2010, 10:43 PM
Very cool looking. I cant imagine what a pain it was to glue up!

David E Keller
04-13-2010, 10:57 PM
Very nice... My eyes start to cross just thinking about the glue up on this one.

Curt Fuller
04-13-2010, 11:16 PM
Wow, that's amazing!

Steve Schlumpf
04-14-2010, 12:02 AM
That's great! Has a wonderful folk art feel to it and the scenes remind me of some of the old quilts you see on Antiques roadshow! Very imaginative!

Thanks for sharing!

Frank Van Atta
04-14-2010, 12:45 AM
Beautiful form, great finish. What's not to like?

John Keeton
04-14-2010, 6:19 AM
Larry, great follow up!! As on the previous one, the perspective on the landscape pane is very well done, and I really like the pane with the moon/stars. Really an excellent piece.

I am curious on your finishing schedule. That is my current challenge, and I would love to know what you use, and the steps in your schedule. Thanks.

Donny Lawson
04-14-2010, 6:40 AM
That is VERY Nice but I would'nt want to glue all that up.
Donny

Toney Robertson
04-14-2010, 6:48 AM
That's great! Has a wonderful folk art feel to it and the scenes remind me of some of the old quilts you see on Antiques roadshow! Very imaginative!

Thanks for sharing!

That's a +1 for me. Very well stated.

Toney

Roland Martin
04-14-2010, 7:00 AM
That is really an interesting segment Larry. Not only the scenery is fabulous, but the form & finish are awesome also. Fantastic work!

Mike Golka
04-14-2010, 8:09 AM
Another grand piece sir! well done.

Rob Cunningham
04-14-2010, 10:37 AM
Great work Larry. Looks like you need a lot of patience to do that.

Steve Vaughan
04-14-2010, 10:56 AM
You folks are so great at doing this stuff. I cannot for the life of me get it in my mind how to get it done...from this and a few others I've seen on this board, it's like trying to actually visualize in my mind an optical illusion! Really a nice piece there!

Bill Bolen
04-14-2010, 12:50 PM
Superb piece Larry. My wife is a fanatic quitler and the scenery reminds me of many quilt patters now done in wood.

Mark Hubl
04-14-2010, 3:38 PM
Larry,

That is really a nice piece. Love both scenes but the moon and night are my favorites. Lovely work.

Leo Graywacz
04-14-2010, 4:40 PM
Beautiful.

Any shots of the glue up sequence?

Larry Marley
04-14-2010, 5:49 PM
Thank you for the kind response.

Leo,
I did take some pictures during the process, I posted it in my "News and Current Projects" section as I went along.
You can see it here:
http://marleyturned.com/News_and_Projects.php

John,
I just used Shellac on this piece. About 8 coats, then wet sanded with 400 using Mineral spirits. Then micro abrasives up to 4000 and Beal buffed.

I really do need to grow up and use laquer...

Matt Ranum
04-14-2010, 6:40 PM
I'm in awe of what you can do with small blocks of wood!:eek:

A beautiful followup piece. Will there be a third in the series?:D

Leo Graywacz
04-14-2010, 7:47 PM
Thanks Larry. That was interesting.

Larry Marley
04-14-2010, 10:04 PM
Will there be a third in the series?:D
Hi Matt,
The short answer is probably.

I started keeping a list of ideas. Each turning prompts another, the ideas are coming fast.

I am a little nervous of a "series"...

I already call my garage a shop. the next step is to call it a Studio.
It is a slippery slope, pretty soon I will start appreciating poetry, eating products made from soy. A guy just has to be careful.
So, I will focus on making a few, bunch, sampling, pod, collection, group, maybe a progression, but Series? I don't know...:)

Matt Ranum
04-14-2010, 10:35 PM
Hi Matt,
The short answer is probably.

I started keeping a list of ideas. Each turning prompts another, the ideas are coming fast.

I am a little nervous of a "series"...

I already call my garage a shop. the next step is to call it a Studio.
It is a slippery slope, pretty soon I will start appreciating poetry, eating products made from soy. I guy just has to be careful.
So, I will focus on making a few, bunch, sampling, pod, collection, group, maybe a progression, but Series? I don't know...:)

Whoa!! Now lets not get too drastic here, pace yourself by maybe drinking "light" beer while munching on some celery sticks or something while contemplating the whole "series" thing.:p

Steve Vaughan
04-14-2010, 10:42 PM
Yeah, I was right there with ya up to calling your garage a studio, I'm good with that, but then I got lost at the soy part...ewwwww, yuk! I'm gonna just keep spitting tobacco juice in the wood shavings on the floor of my studio.

And, thanks for the link!

Doug W Swanson
04-15-2010, 7:59 AM
Larry,

That is some amazing work.

How much time does that take to plan out?

Doug

Bill Bulloch
04-15-2010, 8:47 AM
Wow -- what detail. I visit your web site often just to drool over your work. Your postings inspire us novices. I hope you keep posting.

Larry Marley
04-15-2010, 11:43 AM
Larry,

That is some amazing work.

How much time does that take to plan out?

Doug

Doug,
I started thinking about it while I was making the Country Mile, so it was playing in my head for a few weeks.
It took a couple hours to decide on, and draw out the feature ring,
about 25 hours to build the blank, probably 40 hours in total.
Thanks again for everyone's comments.