PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Bill, It works great.

Tyler Howell
11-13-2004, 7:48 PM
Thanks Bill, It works great.;) I was dicing up some oak veneer plywood (I guess this would be julienne cuts) and tried the method suggested by our esteemed colleague Bill Grumbine.
I used a 2" sheet of foam insulation for my cutting table. Light, plenty of support and easy on the back and knees.
Something else I've been using. (may have read about it here).
Had a number of repetitive cuts on my list, so rather than rely on the tape or my skewed eye , I milled up pairs of precision blocks. It was a quick and easy to set up each pass especially with the temp hovering around 40 degrees. I punch a hole in each and hang them with the others on a string in the rafters till next time. I have some angles I use for the TS, BS and DP as well.

Jim Becker
11-13-2004, 8:07 PM
Tyler...have you used that Gold Machine yet, or is it crying in the corner?? :D Seriously, the foam board support is a great idea. For those who need to do it on the floor and want something easy to store, you can apparently buy 2'x4' sheets of foam with T&G. I may check that out at some point.

Tyler Howell
11-13-2004, 8:28 PM
OOOOH YAH! She was humming a very sweet tune the past couple of days milling up some demission lumber.
There are NO ripping or cross cut hand saws in my future accept the two antiques I bought to hang on the wall.
But you know Jim that cordless Csaw and home made guide weren't working to well. May have to give Our Uncle Bob a call here pretty soon.
This was pink stuff I had on hand for another project. Like it;) .

Jim Becker
11-13-2004, 8:29 PM
But you know Jim that cordless Csaw and home made guide weren't working to well. May have to give Our Uncle Bob a call here pretty soon.
Indeed you will. Don't forget the free shipping that expires at the end of December!! :D

Carole Valentine
11-13-2004, 8:36 PM
"sheets of foam with T&G"

OK, Jim...I've been sitting here trying to figure out what T&G is, but my brain seems to be off on a walkabout, so how about a hint?

Jim Becker
11-13-2004, 8:38 PM

OK, Jim...I've been sitting here trying to figure out what T&G is, but my brain seems to be off on a walkabout, so how about a hint?
Tongue and Groove

Tyler Howell
11-13-2004, 8:39 PM

OK, Jim...I've been sitting here trying to figure out what T&G is, but my brain seems to be off on a walkabout, so how about a hint?Tongue and groove

Carole Valentine
11-13-2004, 8:45 PM
Hmmm...never associated tongue and groove with foam panels! That's what I need for cutting ply on the floor! Thanks.

Bill Grumbine
11-14-2004, 7:15 PM
Hi Tyler

I am glad to hear it worked out for you. I cannot take credit for thinking the idea up, but I can take credit for spreading it around! Anyway, it works well, and I am one of those who uses the T&G pieces, since the local borg did not have a full sized sheet. I keep mine in the barn across the road, and it can be a real adventure getting it into the shop on a windy day! :eek:

Bill

Mark Singer
11-14-2004, 7:18 PM
Very nice work Tyler....try the gold package!