PDA

View Full Version : Doug FIR

dan carter
04-13-2010, 9:31 PM
Last fall, just before the snow closed access up the canyon from me, I asked the wife if she wanted to go get a couple pieces of wood with me. It was snowing and 10 or so. I cut a few 22 inch pieces but they were too heavy to get in the truck by myself, so she volunteered to help. Big mistake, some thing popped and she grabbed her side; no major damage, she's fine now, but, anyway this was one of the pieces from that journey. Rough turned it then, finished it a couple days ago. Think this one will be called the rib buster. Finished size is 5 x 17 1/2.

Steve Schlumpf
04-13-2010, 9:53 PM
Looks pretty good Dan!

Glad your wife is feeling better! Nothing like lifting a heavy chunk of green wood to throw your back out!

Thomas Canfield
04-13-2010, 9:53 PM
Neat looking bowl and quite a story. You need to keep it for sure. I like the natural edge portion along with the natural grain of the fir. It must have been a challenge to keep the bark on that diameter.

Baxter Smith
04-13-2010, 10:10 PM
A bowl with a story! I never appreciated how heavy a blank would be for something that size until I tried a 14 inch one. That isn't even close to yours!
Looks good!

Richard Madison
04-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Nice bowl Dan.

Gotta love a woman who helps you load wood. I do.

Bernie Weishapl
04-13-2010, 10:16 PM
Really nice bowl Dan.