PDA

View Full Version : Mini-Review - Irwin Speedbor Spade Bits

Jim Becker
11-13-2004, 6:41 PM
While working on my little benchtop project yesterday, I decided to pick up a new spade bit for drilling, err...redrilling...the dog holes and chose a 3/4" Irwin Speedbor to do the job. This bit features both the standard cutting surfaces and easy to place point as well as some nice, sharp "scoring wings" on the outside edges. This bit cut very clear holes through the 2 1/4" thick hard maple with little tearout on exit even without backing. The entry hole was as good as any forstner bit I've used. Highly recommended and inexpensive...the 3/4" cutter cost $3.79 at the 'Depot.

With so many choices for drill bits, many times we all tend to grab for an expensive forstner when we want a clean hole. They are great cutters, but I have to say that the spade bits cut much faster and with less effort on the part of the drill. And the design of the Speedbor makes for a nice clean cut, to boot! I'll use them again for sure.

Brian Hale
11-13-2004, 6:57 PM
Back when i made my living as a cabinet maker we used spade bits almost exclusively. When they became dull during an install we'd sharpen them with the belt sander and form an angle on the cutting edge to similar to the outer spurs on the Irwin. They do cut a lot cleaner that way.

Brian

mike lucas
11-13-2004, 7:33 PM
I bought a complete set of 20+ about a dozen years ago. They are all pretty much spent from years of use. I have been looking for them for more then a year. I could not remember the name. But have not been able to find them, I thought that the production of a very good bit selection had been stopped. I guess I'll have to do a search on the net for them.

As you said, they are by far the best spade bits.:D

Jim Becker
11-13-2004, 8:02 PM
Mike, you can get the Irwin bits at Home Depot.

Tyler Howell
11-13-2004, 8:03 PM
Good Stuff:cool: . Got the six pack. Hesitant to use them because whenever I need a spade it usually involves nails, screws, plaster, and metal lath. The little "scoring wings" are the fist to go in my TOH.:o

Jim Becker
11-13-2004, 8:04 PM
Good Stuff:cool: . Got the six pack. Hesitant to use them because whenever I need a spade it usually involve nails, screws, plaster, and metal lath. The little "scoring wings" are the fist to go in my TOH.:o
Tyler, sounds like it would be a good idea to keep one set for Home Improvement and one for the shop. They are not terribly expensive, so that should be affordable in most cases.

Steve Clardy
11-13-2004, 8:21 PM
Great bits. Been using them since they came out. Won't buy anything else.
I use them mostly for cabinet installation, water pipe holes, etc.

Dan Mages
11-14-2004, 12:25 AM
I agree!! I have a set of 10 of these bits. They do a wonderful job giving a nice, clean hole. I have also seen a lot of good things about Bosch's spade bits. They have a spiral put on the main tip which makes it really easy to drill into wood.

Dan

Kelly C. Hanna
11-14-2004, 2:21 AM
I have to agree with Jim...I use these daily in my work and they are the best.

mike lucas
11-14-2004, 10:20 PM
Mike, you can get the Irwin bits at Home Depot.
Thanks Jim, I will be there in the morning.;)

mike lucas
11-14-2004, 10:23 PM
Good Stuff:cool: . Got the six pack. Hesitant to use them because whenever I need a spade it usually involves nails, screws, plaster, and metal lath. The little "scoring wings" are the fist to go in my TOH.:o That is the biggest reason I need a new set. I have used them for whatever, and when ever I needed a hole in or through wood in all sorts of situations for many years. Some of them have even broke when it hit an nail.:eek:

Kevin Arceneaux
11-15-2004, 9:46 AM
Thanks for the review. I have seen them at Lowes also. They look to be a good idea for those without a DP.

Kurt Aebi
11-15-2004, 11:06 AM
Since I got my Milwaukee Hole Hawg, I've been using the spade bits in the woodworking shop exclusively. The big auger bits do a great job ripping and tearing for plumbing and wiring and Nails - what's a nail, the greared drive just busts right through them.

It doesn't hurt that I got the drill for $10.00 at a yard sale - great score or what? A $300.00 drill for 10 Bucks!

And it's a Milwaukee too, not some HF look-a-like either. All that was missing was the D handle and Side Bar grip.

Oh Yea, Jim! I forgot one of th emost important things regarding this thread!

THANKS! For taking the time to write the review. I bet a lot of us forgot or didn't already know about these bits.

Earl Reid
11-15-2004, 12:51 PM
I've been using them since the first came out. they are easy to sharpen and make smaller for a special need and grind them to tapers, etc, works very well.
Earl

Wes Bischel
11-15-2004, 2:13 PM
Thanks for the review Jim. The bits look like they would be a good investment for clean, deep holes.
I've been using Vermont American WoodEater bits which replaced a set of standard spade bits. My set is about 12 years old and I like them a lot - bored lots of holes for wiring etc. Once the pilot is started, the bit pulls itself through the wood - literally. They are great for construction - rugged enough to take the nails and survive, and more important, easy on the arms. They have similar "wings" as the Speedbors on the ends, and when sharp leave a nice clean hole.

I haven't seen them at the borgs recently. I suspect they weren't price/profit competitive with the Speedbors - which weren't available at the store when I bought the WoodEaters.

At least I now know there is a good alternative available. (so my forstners are saved for fine work)

Thanks again Jim, good info to have rattling around in the back of my head - "just in case"
Wes

thomas prevost
11-15-2004, 3:28 PM
Jim,

Is the one you bought of the new bits they sell. They now have them with the center point threaded. I bought two recently and found them to be even better than the great old style. Give them a try!

Chris Padilla
11-15-2004, 4:18 PM
I ran into some trouble with the threaded center-point and didn't like it at all. The good old spade bit w/raised spurs worked a lot better for me.

Believe me, I've been drilling LOTS of holes for plumbing and electrical and a good sharp spade bit cuts very cleanly.

Also, it fits just well enough in that new compact chuck from Festool: Centrotec. I have the 15.6V TDK drill...what an awesome drill.... :D Oh, no, was that a gloat?? :D

Mark Singer
11-15-2004, 8:00 PM
Jim,

I have used these bits for years in the shop and in construction...to make a clean thru hole you can "back it" with a scrap piece or drill til just the point comes thru and then go from the opposite side...(I am sure many knew that already)

Kelly C. Hanna
11-15-2004, 8:09 PM
I use both methods and they work great!!

Charlie Plesums
11-15-2004, 9:32 PM
...Also, it fits just well enough in that new compact chuck from Festool: Centrotec. I have the 15.6V TDK drill...what an awesome drill.... :D Oh, no, was that a gloat?? :D
Without pictures? A gloat? Naw. Doesn't count

Mark J Bachler
11-16-2004, 1:00 PM
Just a side note: The Irwin drill factory in Cumberland WI. was bought out by Rubbermaid a couple of years ago & closed. I'm sure they make them other places also but was a sad deal.

Tom LaRussa
11-16-2004, 3:39 PM
While working on my little benchtop project yesterday, I decided to pick up a new spade bit for drilling, err...redrilling...the dog holes and chose a 3/4" Irwin Speedbor to do the job. This bit features both the standard cutting surfaces and easy to place point as well as some nice, sharp "scoring wings" on the outside edges. This bit cut very clear holes through the 2 1/4" thick hard maple with little tearout on exit even without backing. The entry hole was as good as any forstner bit I've used. Highly recommended and inexpensive...the 3/4" cutter cost $3.79 at the 'Depot.
Jim,

Another nice thing about these jobbers is that they are pretty easy to resharpen. I just clamp one in a vise, go at it with a fine-cut mill file, then hone if with one of those little pocket knife honing stones.

I've revived a few of these bits that had run into nails and such.