PDA

View Full Version : Painted furniture - do I need to topcoat?

Mike Grennier
04-01-2003, 11:13 PM
Hi all.

As I FINALLY finish my Entertainment Center - it's painted with latex paint - I have to ask this question:

Do I need to put some kind of topcoat over the paint? Some kind of water-based poly? Or is it OK in it's current state.

Thanks
Mike

Dennis Peacock
04-02-2003, 1:24 AM
Mike,

As long as you have a good coat of paint on it...I would say that will be good enough. If you put a topcoat on it...it will chip and scratch and show wear just like the painted surface. Topcoating with WB Poly is not a bad idea, but if a repair to the finish is needed, it will show as poly is not that easily patched. If the paint gets chipped or scratched...a little touchup with the same paint and it will all be but hidden.

I would say...just leave well enough alone......but my opinion and $1 will get you a cup of coffee at Macky-D's too...!!

Phil Phelps
04-02-2003, 8:40 AM
Unless you used alkyd base paint. You can spray lacquer over latex paint but not oil. I've sprayed a top coat of water white lacquer on many furniture pieces that I painted and striped with latex. You can apply urethane on almost any painted surface for added hardness and protection.