PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gloat (w/burl)

Jon Lanier
04-13-2010, 6:51 PM
A family in the church know we have a fire place and will be hunting down firewood over the next few months to hopefully season it up before winter. So, they said, hey we just cut down some tree's in the back do you want it. I said sure! On my was up, I thought... I didn't ask, I hope it's not pine... that won't do much good.

Well when I got there.... there was Oak, and some pretty cedar, and really nice Wild Cherry. On top of that there is two cherry burls. WooooT! :eek: There is some small Sassafras in there too. Nice thing is, they've got about 2 more loads just like this waiting for me. I'm already thinking "Turning" more than I am firewood.

By first burl connected to the rest of the tree. Any idea's on how to go about cutting it up? Do you DNA it like you would other green turned items? Or should I cut it up and just leave it to dry out naturally?

Robert Arrowood
04-13-2010, 8:24 PM
As far as cutting it up I'm not really sure.But if I were you I would seal it ASP.I have quite a few I've cut down.Enough that I need to sell some of it.But I know for a fact cherry WILL check FAST.I've cut down cherry and it would check before I got it on the truck.

charlie knighton
04-13-2010, 8:59 PM
it's nice to have friends, great gloat, i am experimenting with cardboard barrels, works with oak but not 100%, am trying to use on cherry burl, if no cardboard barrels, you may try heavy cardboard boxes

cut up in blanks, use dry shavings around blanks

Donny Lawson
04-13-2010, 9:26 PM
Nice haul.I like the Cedar.
Donny

Brian Effinger
04-13-2010, 9:30 PM
I think it's going to be a cold winter for you, Jon. :D

Steve Schlumpf
04-13-2010, 9:58 PM
Jon - be sure to seal everything ASAP.

I have used DNA with Cherry burl and it works as long as the Cherry wasn't cracked before it went into the DNA bath. Cherry checks extremely fast - so make sure you keep the wood moist while turning.

Good luck with the burl! Looking forward to seeing some of your turnings!

Baxter Smith
04-13-2010, 10:06 PM
Great haul! I rough turned a large cherry burl hollow form this weekend from a dead tree I found locally. Sort of followed Charlies advice. I packed it in a cardboard box in the shavings I got from rough turning it. Can't tell you how well it will work for a while. Good luck with it.

David E Keller
04-13-2010, 11:12 PM
Great gloat. That last burl looks HUGE!