PDA

View Full Version : Martini Glass

Liesl Dexheimer
04-13-2010, 5:05 PM
Just out of curiosity, have any of you ever attempted engraving on a martini glass & succeeded? I have gotten quite a few requests over the years to engrave on martini glasses but I've always turned the jobs down because of the extreme slope. I'm guessing sandblasting would be the best option.

Dan Hintz
04-13-2010, 6:03 PM
You might get away with it if you used a looooong FL lens...

Art Crowe
04-13-2010, 7:43 PM
Liesl, I have had some limited success engraving on the glass. I had to manually lift the end of my cylindrical attachment in order to do it though... I have a Xenetech laser and the attachment easily tilted and in doing so, I was able to flatten out the angle enough to engrave on a limited section of the glass. I frequent a lake in Alabama called Lake Martin so I had a few requests to add "(i)" on the end of the name as a play on words.

Bill Cunningham
04-13-2010, 8:38 PM
Hang em upside down in a jig, and reverse engrave the circle around the back side of the bases.. Can't do much with a logo though on that little bit of space!

Gary Hair
04-13-2010, 11:41 PM
I have a customer who has a "martini club". Members buy a glass and they use it when they drink their martinis. I sandcarved 150 of them last year and will probably do about the same in another month or so. I created a template that I align the text to and it comes out perfect. It took quite while to make it perfect and it will vary from mfg. to mfg. so mine probably won't work for anyone who doesn't have the same glasses I do. That said, it's not difficult to make, just a bit time consuming.

Gary

Hilton Lister
04-14-2010, 2:12 AM
Not difficult to make template really. Tape some paper to the glass and draw a line with a compass along from the top, then scan the paper. It's very easy to match the arc with the bezier tool in Coreldraw, then align the text to that.

Liesl Dexheimer
04-14-2010, 5:15 PM
Thanks for the comments. I don't have sandblasting equipment but was wondering if sandblasting would work, looks like you answered by question. Thanks!

rodger d cooley
04-16-2010, 12:59 AM
I have done quite a few in my rotary attachment. No special treatment, they come out fine. 2 inch lens.