PDA

View Full Version : Scouting

Michael Stafford
11-13-2004, 5:39 PM
This afternoon I attended my neighbor's son's Eagle Scout Court of Honor. I always like to see fine young men achieve the penultimate in scouting.

I was an Eagle scout and have fond memories of my scouting years. I was surprised to learn today that only 2% of all scouts achieve the Eagle rank.

I was wondering about my fellow woodworkers, were you in the scouts and did you become an Eagle scout?

Carl Eyman
11-13-2004, 5:51 PM
I was in scouting about 3 years and went to the National Jamboree in 1937 (I think). It was in Washington, DC. We camped out in a big field right next to National Airport. Good memories.

Tyler Howell
11-13-2004, 8:15 PM
Been there done that, Have a whole bunch of T shirts! Worked in a scout camp too for 5 years. :cool: Some of the most satisfying work I've ever done. Still in touch with some of my old camp cronies. Very good times and I learned a lot too. Many skills I still use today, I learned in Scouting.

A lot of kids today could benifit form the challenges, adventure and teachings of scouting.:(

Jim Young
11-13-2004, 8:42 PM
Never been in the scouts. Maybe growing up in Germany had something to do with it.

Martin Shupe
11-13-2004, 11:59 PM
Eagle Scout, 1975.
Vigil Honor, Colonneh Lodge 137, 1978
Philmont Ranger, 1978
Rock Climbing Instructor, Cimarroncito, Philmont, 1979
Interpretive Mountain Man, Clear Creek, Philmont, 1980

To say that I was heavily involved in Scouting as a boy would be a gross understatement.

Currently, I am helping with my son's Cub Scout Pack, and am a Life Member of the Philmont Staff Association.

I want to go back to PHILMONT!

Rob Russell
11-14-2004, 7:41 AM
Eagle Scout, bronze palm, OA.

Arvin Brown
11-18-2004, 10:53 AM
I never achieved the rank of Eagle and that is why I am helping my son so much on achieving it. He just turned 12 on Nov. 10. He has 18 of the required 21 merit badges already (he'll have the other three by Christmas). He will be attending the National Scout Jamboree next summer outside Washington DC. He will be Eagle before he turns 13 (there is a waiting period between ranks). It does help to have a good program. His troop is going to have three Eagles awarded in December (that will make six for the year)!

Ted Shrader
11-18-2004, 11:26 AM
TLHFCKOCTBCR

Ted

Tyler Howell
11-18-2004, 11:29 AM
TLHFCKOCTBCR

Ted
I give up????

Ted Shrader
11-18-2004, 11:35 AM
I'll start you off:

Trustworthy, Loyal . . .

Ted

Tyler Howell
11-18-2004, 11:48 AM
Long time Ted!:o

Dave Anderson NH
11-18-2004, 11:57 AM
I was an Eagle Scout and received my Eagle at a court of honor with 7 other members of our troop. I also had the opportunity to attend the 1964 National Jamboree at Valley forge, PA.

Roger Fitzsimonds
11-18-2004, 2:04 PM
I was an Eagle Scout, bronze palm and OA. My mother was the first mother with 3 Eagle Scouts in Arizona. This was in 1968 so I dont know if the record stands. I went to Philmont also. I believe Scouting builds strong citizens and they have fun at it.

Roger

James Keeler
11-19-2004, 2:34 PM
I had minimal involvement in Scouts when I was growing up. However, both of my sons are Eagle Scouts. I found in really rewarding to be a woodworking merit badge counselor as well as to be a Den Leader with Cub Scouts. And, hiking to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back out with my older son, is an experience we'll both share forever.

Ken Garlock
11-19-2004, 8:22 PM
It seems like your friends(they sure aren't mine) at the aclu have blackmailed the Dept. of Defense into not allowing the various military bases to sponsor a Scout group. Everywhere you go, those bottom feeders are trying to get the BSA out of using any public or government facility under the bogus claim of separation of church and state.

Visit your local aclu member, and Punch its lights out.

Bob Nieman
12-22-2004, 10:52 PM
Was a scout, hated it but stuck with it for awhile despite the hazing. I am now Assistant Scout Master, soon to be the Scoutmaster and do everything in my power to make it a good experience for all involved. Our former Asst. Scoutmaster was a cabinetmaker. He died on Thanksgiving Day from leukemia. Unfortunately I didn't know him when he was well to learn woodworking from him (or go fishing). His kids are great--trying to get one to complete his Eagle, the other is more interested in computer games. As for % Eagles, our troop is quite small, but I would say that half the boys stick with it to Eagle.

Ed Falis
12-23-2004, 11:15 AM
Yep, a scout. Fell a badge or two shy of Life Scout.

- Ed