PDA

View Full Version : How can I painting OSB?

Jesse Tutterrow
04-13-2010, 4:22 PM
I was asked about painting OSB. They paneled the inside of their garage with OSB several years ago and now want it painted.

I took a left over piece and tried painting it with Latex paint, but some of the chips seemed to delaminate and curl up causing a rough surface.

So, is there a way to paint OSB?
Maybe Oil based paint (do they still make it)?
What about some kind of sealer?

Thanks in Advance,

Jesse

Prashun Patel
04-13-2010, 4:25 PM
The best you can hope for is to paint it first with a primer like Zinsser BIN or KILZ to seal it. Then you can paint it with a latex. However, don't try to get it smooth like drywall. It'll always appear 'texturish'.

Phil Phelps
04-13-2010, 5:24 PM
Alkyd, exterior primer, from a real paint store.

glenn bradley
04-13-2010, 7:50 PM
+1 on B.I.N. Then glue down any de-laminating pieces with regular old wood glue and blue painter's tape to hold it till dry. Once primed I did not have any further de-lamination.

Joe Chritz
04-14-2010, 7:34 AM
Assuming you can't use an airless sprayer then a good quality primer (Bullseye 123, kilz or BIN are fine) and a 1/2" nap roller.

As mentioned after it is primed look for any obvious loose chips and glue them down.

Once done roll on the finish coat which should be a piece of cake.

I have found it easier than doing concrete block walls since it tends to cover a little better.

Joe

Jesse Tutterrow
04-14-2010, 12:20 PM
The best you can hope for is to paint it first with a primer like Zinsser BIN or KILZ to seal it. Then you can paint it with a latex. However, don't try to get it smooth like drywall. It'll always appear 'texturish'.

How rough is the 'texturish' you mention?
With the Behr primer & paint I saw chips cup up and leave a 1/32 inch gap.

Prashun Patel
04-14-2010, 1:06 PM
I actually used Kilz primer, and I had no delam problems. Be prepared, though, that Kilz stinks for High Heaven for a few weeks after. By texturish, I mean you can feel & see the chips, but they are all secure.

Julie Rose
04-20-2010, 10:45 PM
I also used Kilz Original Primer on my shop walls, HD sells it in 5 gallon pails. Two coats, and then you can cover it with any type of wall paint, latex or oil.
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r219/follow_your_heart_album/Workshop/DSC02082-1.jpg

~Julie~
http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r219/follow_your_heart_album/Workshop/?action=view&current=DSC02082-1.jpg

Glen Butler
04-23-2010, 3:11 PM
I prefer oil based primer on my painted woodwork and I don't have a problem getting it. Anything with water causes problems. To much raising grain even though they say they don't. Use an oil base primer and follow that with an interior acrylic latex. Go to a real paint store. PPG makes my favorite latex paints, and they haven vendors nationwide.

Pat Germain
04-23-2010, 5:07 PM
FYI, I covered my shop walls with OSB. I painted the OSB with the cheapest primer and semi-gloss paint I could find at Wal-Mart. It turned out great. Granted, I wouldn't paint the outside of my house with that stuff. But for shop walls I'm going to mostly cover with hanging tools and accessories, I personally don't see a need to spend extra money on high quality paint. (I'm sure the guy at the paint store down the street would disagree. But I'll probably go see him when I'm ready to paint my house.)

Jesse Tutterrow
04-24-2010, 1:46 PM
Thanks everyone!

I purchased Kilz oil based primer. I am trying it on scrap. I'll post back with the results.

Jesse Tutterrow
04-30-2010, 8:26 AM
Thanks everyone!

I purchased Kilz oil based primer. I am trying it on scrap. I'll post back with the results.

Well, I have primered my first wall of OSB with Kilz Orderless oil based primer. It has worked well. There was no noticable smell. I needed two coats over the words or lines that the manf printed on the OSB.

1 gallon ($20) covered a 16 foot by 7 foot wall.