PDA

View Full Version : Shaper or router table with glue joint cutters?

Tom Rick
04-13-2010, 2:19 PM
I have a job coming up for which I have to mill some 600' of 1-1/2"x 5/4 stock with a glue joint such as this one by CMT:

http://www.cheyennesales.com/catalog/cmtrevglue.htm

Quick question-

I don't really need a shaper that much for the type of work I do but it sure seems that this job would go best with a shaper and power feed.

Have you guys tried to run this type of router bit on lots of linear feet of stock?

I have light duty router tables & am in the process of stepping up to a heavy table and lift but find it attractive to just get the shaper for this job at least.
What to do....?? power feed on a router table?? or lots of feather boards and feed rollers to keep it all running straight?

If shaper- recommended brand?

I don't need too large of a machine and have looked at the old Rockwell/delta machines and a nice looking vintage Walker Turner.

Bill White
04-13-2010, 3:58 PM
Sounds like a closet excuse to buy a tool......
600 lf of work vs: a high-cost tool.............:rolleyes:
Bill

David DeCristoforo
04-13-2010, 5:24 PM
That's going to be a PITA to mill with a router. Reversible cutters require very precise adjustment and even feed. Plus, the small cutting circle of the router bit would leave you open to the possibility of a considerable amount of tearout. I might run a stick or two like that but 600 LF with a hand fed router table would not be my method of choice. A shaper with a power feeder would obviously be the best way to go. It's not like you will never find another use for the shaper!

Chip Lindley
04-13-2010, 5:28 PM
600 LF may well burn up a router unless its a big one (3-1/4 hp.) A 3/4" spindle, 3hp (minimum) shaper will be more useful than you know in your woodworking future! I buy used, so can't recommend new to you. Old Rockwell/Delta HD shapers are solid machines. Parts are probably more available than for the Walker Turner you mention.

Regardless if you use router or shaper, unless your outfeed fence is very well adjusted, you will most likely find the glue joint cutter gives inconsistent results. I recommend using an outboard fence rather than the machine's split fence. Especially convenient if all pieces will be same width.

Faust M. Ruggiero
04-13-2010, 5:55 PM
Unless you have use for a shaper after this job, I would consider outsourcing the glue joint. 600 feet isn't a lot of work for a shop set up with a power feeder and a good shaper.
fmr

Tom Rick
04-13-2010, 7:02 PM
Thanks all for the replies.
Like all of these decisions I am trying to answer tooling for this contract and future work. I have been debating for some time how to go with the whole router set up question. I have run through pin routers and heavy router table options with lifts and just now as a result of this coming contract the shaper.

My business does yacht restoration and ships carpentry. While I don't see much raised panel work, I find myself on the router table enough to think of it as a primary tool for profiling and pattern work. I think I am getting a bit put off on how much trouble it is to set up a heavy router table and am finding a shaper more attractive. I loose the use of all the cutters I currently have but may find the index type shaper bits will fill many profile needs.
This current job is two glue ups for wide compound cap rails with a broad sweep over the 44' length. The idexing of the cutter has to be fairly good and I am not overly confident in the router table doing the trick.

I am thinking now have both- a router table for small work and the shaper for when duty calls...