PDA

View Full Version : Buffing Face Shield

GLENN THOMAS
04-13-2010, 2:17 PM
I was showing my son how to use the buffing wheel the other day and we experimented with everything we could get our hands on. The face shield I use is 4 years old now and scuffed up pretty bad. I considered a new one because it was getting really hard to see through. So just for the heck of it I buffed it with some Tripoli and then white AL Oxide. Did both the inside and outside and now it looks almost brand new. So if you have an old face shield that's no good give it a try, it might save you from having to buy a new one.

GT

Aaron Wingert
04-13-2010, 4:12 PM
Good tip! I retired my old face shield due to being covered in all sorts of friction polish and millions of tiny abrasions. Wish I hadn't thrown it away now that I read this. The current one I'm using might last longer now!

GLENN THOMAS
04-13-2010, 4:41 PM
Mine was covered with friction polish too and that came off also.

Jim Sebring
04-13-2010, 10:26 PM
The next finer polish I use is PL from Don Pencil. It's designed for polishing PLASTIC and LACQUER, hence the name.

Richard Madison
04-13-2010, 10:40 PM
An alternative is the Novus 3-step plastic polishing system. Works a treat on faceshields and motorcycle windshields. Keep meaning to do the headlight covers on the old truck. Takes some elbow grease but only a bit of each compound, so the kit should last a long time. Guess you could use it with power buffs, but really not necessary.

Bernie Weishapl
04-13-2010, 10:40 PM
I buff mine with Don's PL.

GLENN THOMAS
04-13-2010, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the tip on the PL. Ill look into it as Ive never heard of it before.

Kyle Iwamoto
04-14-2010, 11:50 AM
Source for Dons PL? I have CA all over my face shield. Would that come off?

Jim Sebring
04-14-2010, 11:21 PM
Try donpencil.com . You might ask Don about the CA. Sounds like wearing a face shield was a good idea when you were applying that CA!