PDA

View Full Version : How do I prevent rusting in a glue pot?

Will Brauneis
04-13-2010, 1:32 PM
I bought a glue pot a few days ago that is in ok shape but the inside of the pot where the water goes has deep pitting and rust probably about half way through the cast iron. I think it probably got left on a shelf for years with water in it. I use it quite often so i don't want to empty and refill it every day. I'm sure it will last for quite a few more years but i want to keep it in as good of shape as i can and keep any new rust from eating away at it. Are there any things i can put in the water to keep it from rusting? I found this stuff ( http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=toolshop&Product_Code=MS-HRGD&Category_Code=TI ) for grinder quench tanks that keeps it from rusting but at $35 pus shipping it is more expensive than the glue pot and i am concerned about the chemical being heated all day might degrade or something. Is there something cheaper i could use?

Wes Grass
04-13-2010, 3:10 PM
Antifreeze?

harry strasil
04-13-2010, 7:34 PM
some antifreeze is corrosive, that's why its recommended that it be changed every so many years, and antifreeze in vehicle engines is in a closed system.

george wilson
04-13-2010, 8:38 PM
How about painting the inside of the pot with some good coats of high temperature engine enamel ? They will stand up to about 1200 degrees.

Stephen Shepherd
04-14-2010, 11:30 AM
There is a recipe in the Universal Receipt Book [1824] that gives the formula for cold tinning metal pots. I have tried it and it works. The book is available from Tools for Working Wood.

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=toolshop&Product_Code=AQ-1137&Category_Code=N

Stephen

Will Brauneis
04-15-2010, 2:05 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys I think I'm going to go with the paint. I actually thought of the paint idea the other day when walking past the paint section in the hardware store. I got a can of black cooking grill paint. I'll paint the insides of it once it gets out of the electrolysis tank. That cold tinning sounds interesting what is the recipe? I don't really want to buy the whole book for just one recipe.