PDA

View Full Version : Laguna or Agazzani

Mark Woodmark
04-13-2010, 1:08 PM
Laguna LT16 bandsaw with a driftmaster fence or Agazzani B-18 bandsaw. Which would you purchase and why?

Mike Gottlieb
04-13-2010, 1:12 PM
Why not include the MM16 in this comparison?

Van Huskey
04-13-2010, 1:41 PM
That is a tough one, the Aggie has its strong points. I didn't think the B-18 was still available if it is what is the price point now? The Aggies are very good but I am not a fan of the guides which I would probably replace. The LT16 is not my favorite Laguna, if you had said LT16HD then it would be the Laguna all the way for me. If I didn't need the added capacity of the B-18 I would take the Laguna for the guides and the fact I could get a Resaw King and DM fence for $100 right now. The MM is also a great saw but Laguna just has something the others don't in the guides and DN fence, of course you could add the DM and Laguna guides to either of the others although it isn't really cost effective f you are buying new.

Mark Woodmark
04-13-2010, 1:44 PM
Why not include the MM16 in this comparison?

Why include the MiniMax 16? I looked at it and it is a little more money than I wanted to spend. My choices were the Laguna and the Agazzani

Jamie Buxton
04-13-2010, 2:04 PM
I think the Driftmaster fence is answer to a question that can be answered a better way. I have an LT16HD. I've cut a lot of wood on the thing - so much that I've worn out four Resaw King blades and one Lennox CT carbide blade on it. Equipped with this kind of blade, the saw just cuts straight ahead. I never consider drift angle. I never measure it, and never adjust for it. I slice veneer with the OEM fence, or with a shop-built taller fence. So if I were you, I'd buy a Lennox CT or Trimaster blade instead of a Driftmaster fence. It will cost you less.

Richard McComas
04-13-2010, 2:48 PM
Laguna LT16 bandsaw with a driftmaster fence or Agazzani B-18 bandsaw. Which would you purchase and why?

When faced with the same decision as you have I went with the Agazzine B24. Both the Laguna and the Agazzine are in my opinion are fine saws. My decision was based on which company I thought would give me the best after sales support. Over the years there as been to many negative post about Laguna tools for me.

Jesse at Eagle Tools is very good to work with. Eagle tools did a supper job of crating my band saw for shipment to Alaska. They build a frame, covered it with 1/2 plywood, sealed all the joints with silicone and shipped it laying down on a pallet (just about bullet proof).

I did break my self imposed rule of not buy anything from Laguna tools and ordered the drift master fence. The fence is very nice.

Van Huskey
04-13-2010, 3:35 PM
I think the Driftmaster fence is answer to a question that can be answered a better way. I have an LT16HD. I've cut a lot of wood on the thing - so much that I've worn out four Resaw King blades and one Lennox CT carbide blade on it. Equipped with this kind of blade, the saw just cuts straight ahead. I never consider drift angle. I never measure it, and never adjust for it. I slice veneer with the OEM fence, or with a shop-built taller fence. So if I were you, I'd buy a Lennox CT or Trimaster blade instead of a Driftmaster fence. It will cost you less.

The easy drift adjustment of the DM fence is only one of its strengths and actually the lesser of the two big ones. The ability to quickly micro-adjust it for slicing veneer is the big deal. I can slice veneer about twice as fast and certainly more accurately with the DM. I would suggest a Lennox Trimaster or Laguna Resaw King as well, the best blades out there for our ussage.

Joe Jensen
04-13-2010, 5:33 PM
When faced with the same decision as you have I went with the Agazzine B24. Both the Laguna and the Agazzine are in my opinion are fine saws. My decision was based on which company I thought would give me the best after sales support. Over the years there as been to many negative post about Laguna tools for me.

Jesse at Eagle Tools is very good to work with. Eagle tools did a supper job of crating my band saw for shipment to Alaska. They build a frame, covered it with 1/2 plywood, sealed all the joints with silicone and shipped it laying down on a pallet (just about bullet proof).

I did break my self imposed rule of not buy anything from Laguna tools and ordered the drift master fence. The fence is very nice.

Richard, I bought a driftmaster fence and returned it because I couldn't figure out how to rip and wider than about 15" with it. Did I miss something? I recently upgraded from a Laguna LT16HD to a 21" Felder made by ACM. I hated the idea of losing that extra width (which is why I upgraded in the first place).

Josh Bowman
04-13-2010, 5:52 PM
I have the Laguna 14" SUV, drift master, resaw king, etc. So far the saw has done very well. It deals with saw dust well, it's fairly easy to change blades and the setup it not to hard. The thing weighs a ton! It took 2 of us with all our strengh to raise it up while it was on it's back for hauling. It cuts very accruate. I like the precision of the drift master, 1 turn is about 1/32", but if you just want to scoot the fence, it disengages the screw with a flip of a lever. I feel the table is a bit low, but havn't compared it to others, but a 6'2", I have to bend over a good bit. I've ran 6' x 6" maple through it and it doesn't even slow down. Not saying it cuts the stuff real fast, but the motor does not even get close to laboring. The design of the saw is surprisingly simple. It looks like many of the parts are hardware store available. Hope this helps....I've had it since August of 09.

David Micalizzi
04-13-2010, 9:03 PM
I would choose the Agazzani simply because of the larger wheel diameter. It would be better if you want to run carbide blades. Guides and fences could be changed upgraded in the future. The wheels are another story. I know because I have an MM16 and wish I could run carbide blades with out issue.
Have had problems with the blade work hardening. Some say they run them all the time with out a problem. My experience has been different. Just my two cents.

Richard Link
04-13-2010, 9:57 PM
Although I don't have any experience with the Laguna, I purchased an Agazzani B-24 saw last summer from Jesse. Jesse was terrific to work with and really helped me to make my decision and set up the saw correctly. I would also echo the other poster and say that Eagle Tools packs up a bandsaw like no-one else! That crate was completely bulletproof.

Over the past 9 months, I have been very happy with the saw. Solid as a rock. Has a great table and actually the stock fence isn't bad at all. I haven't messed with the guides and have done quite a bit of resawing with the saw without problems. I looked briefly into the cost of upgrading the guides to Carter models (had them on my last saw) but for $400 it wasn't worth it. I don't think you can go wrong with the Agazzani and I certainly don't regret my purchase.

Rick

John Stan
04-14-2010, 7:13 AM

Not to stir things up, but you might also consider the G0636X from Grizzly. It is heaver than both the Laguna and the Agazzani. I believe it also has a slightly larger resaw height and heavier wheels as well. I have the G0636X and it does everything I want it to do, including slicing razor thin veneer. Just a thought.

Mike Wilkins
04-14-2010, 8:50 AM
Satisfied Laguna LT18 owner since August 2001. Not a single problem during that time. I did upgrade the guides to the ceramic guides, as the saws during that period had the standard Euro guides. Would get another one in a heartbeat.

Jamie Buxton
04-14-2010, 10:37 AM
The easy drift adjustment of the DM fence is only one of its strengths and actually the lesser of the two big ones. The ability to quickly micro-adjust it for slicing veneer is the big deal. ....

I agree that a microadjuster is very useful. But spending $400 for a Driftmaster to get the microadjuster isn't how my budget works. I built a microadjuster to go with the OEM Laguana fence. It cost about ten bucks in parts and an hour of construction time.

Josh Bowman
04-14-2010, 11:19 AM
I agree that a microadjuster is very useful. But spending $400 for a Driftmaster to get the microadjuster isn't how my budget works. I built a microadjuster to go with the OEM Laguana fence. It cost about ten bucks in parts and an hour of construction time.
Agree!!! Good news, they will usually throw it in for free or cheap if you buy a saw from them. My saw was on back order and while I was waiting, I caught the driftmaster as a freeby. Even though I bought the saw technically a month earlier, they gave me the sale.

Greg Portland
04-14-2010, 1:52 PM
IIRC the LT16 and below are made in a different factory and are not up the same standard as the LT16HD, LT18, etc. I'd go with the Agazzani given your listed choices.

IMO, if you are going to invest this amount of money in a large bandsaw then save up and get a large bandsaw (18"+). I've personally found resaw capacity to be more important than cut width.

I also own an older LT18 and upgraded the motor and guides. The ceramic guides are great once you've adjusted them (mine required 4 different tools, maybe they've fixed this). The 5HP vs 3HP motor made no difference, I think it may make sense with a power feeder but not hand-held work.

Kevin Davis
04-14-2010, 3:47 PM
One more vote for Agazzani and Jesse at Eagle Tools. I have never worked with a Laguna but I would have no reason to look at anything but an Agazzani in the future. I have the B20. One a side note, the saw was delivered via Fed Ex. It was crated very well. So well that the water that leaked in from the FedEx shipment couldn't be detected. The saw was rusted and wet. FedEx ran for cover. Jesse, however, stood-up, stepped in and delivered another new saw without a hassle. I have since bought all of my Festool tools and a General table saw from him.

Scot Ferraro
04-14-2010, 7:54 PM
I think all of the saws in your list are very capable saws and you will be well served by any of them. For me, I opted for a Laguna LT18 and it has been an awesome machine. I live close enough to Laguna and to Eagle and I have seen both saws up close. Jesse and folks at Eagle are great to deal with (I bought my table saw from them) as are the folks at Laguna. I really like the fact that Laguna stocks most replacement parts right in its facility so that if you do have an issue down the line, you can most likely get what you need (I had a previous post about an issue I had with a casting on the upper fly-wheel assembly that broke on my saw and Laguna had the part available and gave it to me for free, 8 years after my purchase). I just upgraded to the DriftMaster fence and I think it is well worth the money -- you can probably work out a deal when you order your saw so cost will be a non-issue. I found that adjusting for drift was not as easy with the old style fence and I did have to adjust mine for drift with different blades. I love the Resaw King blade.

Good luck.

Scot

Mark Woodmark
04-14-2010, 8:31 PM
Thanks to all for the input. I really appreciate it. It was close between Laguna and Agazzani, but after thinking it over, I upgraded and went with the 20 inch Agazzani B-20. It was about the same price as the 16 inch Laguna and a couple hundred more than the Aggie B-18

Don Bullock
04-16-2010, 9:53 PM
After all the super customer service I received from Jesse at Eagle Tools when I bought my SawStop from them I would definitely purchase an Agazzani from him if I could afford one. He's one of a kind when it comes to customer support and service and he only deals in high quality products.

Tom Cross
04-17-2010, 8:36 PM
I have had Agazzani B-20 for one year. It is a fantastic bandsaw. New guides witout lock nuts are so easy to use. It arrived tuned up and ready to go. Jesse at Eagle Tools is the best.

Jamie Buxton
04-17-2010, 10:35 PM
I have had Agazzani B-20 for one year. It is a fantastic bandsaw. New guides witout lock nuts are so easy to use. ...

What? There's a new version of that Euro style guide? Could you post a photo?

Mark Woodmark
04-18-2010, 7:18 PM
What? There's a new version of that Euro style guide? Could you post a photo?

Here ya go

Jim Becker
04-18-2010, 8:54 PM
Of the two, the Aggazani. Very nice machine from a good supplier.

I'll also suggest you look at MiniMax, however. I've been incredibly pleased with the company and the three machines of theirs I own. I have a circa 2003 MM16 (lower resaw capacity and HP) and it's a real workhorse. The current lineup is even nicer.

Bob Marino
04-19-2010, 11:31 AM
I also went with the 20 Aggazani from Eagle Tools and will echo what others have said about the saw and service. And those new guides look interesting. How much were they?

Bob

Greg Portland
04-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Tool-less guide adjustments -> Bravo Aggazani. When will the other bandsaw manufacturers get with the program?

Thomas love
04-19-2010, 1:23 PM
Those have been around for quite som time , these came with my resaw master in 2000

Jim Kirkpatrick
04-19-2010, 1:42 PM
John Stan beat me to the punch on the Grizzly G036X (http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-Ultimate-Bandsaw/G0636X). I too am in the market and after reading Chris Schwarz's review (http://www.popularwoodworking.com/article/best_new_tools_2009/)on Popular Woodworking, calling it one of 12 best new tools of 2009, I'm sold on the Grizz. Save a ton, too.

richard poitras
04-19-2010, 10:48 PM
I had just got a LT18 and have been very pleased with the service, the bandsaw , driftmaster fence and the ceramic guides, (even with the Agazzani tool less guides) I don’t think they are as good as the ceramics. My old LT18 had the Euro style guides.
Richard

Joe Jensen
04-21-2010, 10:23 AM
I used to own a Laguna LT16HD made by ACM of Italy, nice saw. I upgraded to a 21" Felder FB540 also made by ACM. I'm told that ACM makes at least 2 different lines of bandsaws. The Felder is the heavier line. I bought the Felder because I got an amazing deal on a used one, cheap enough to sell the Lagunat 16" for $200 more than I paid for the Felder.

Felder just launched a 24" bandsaw also made by ACM for only $2995 which is substantially less than Laguna's 24" bandsaws. If you are looking at something in the $3K range I'd seriously consider the Felder at it's introduction price. I'm told it will go up considerably soon.

Dan O'Sullivan
04-21-2010, 5:58 PM
I've cut a lot of wood on the thing - so much that I've worn out four Resaw King blades and one Lennox CT carbide blade on it. Equipped with this kind of blade, the saw just cuts straight ahead. I never consider drift angle. I never measure it, and never adjust for it. I slice veneer with the OEM fence, or with a shop-built taller fence. So if I were you, I'd buy a Lennox CT or Trimaster blade instead of a Driftmaster fence. It will cost you less. JB

Hey Jamie
I was wondering? You have lots of time with the Resaw King and the Lenox blade. I have used the Tri Master a bunch and love it. I just bought a couple of Resaw Kings(1" blade) for resaw work. I've heard good things. I like the results from the RK blades so far. I have not used the Lenox CT and wondered how it performs compared to the TriM?

dan

Chris Desautels
09-26-2010, 11:15 PM
I purchased a 20" Aggi about a year ago. I researched and agonized over my choices for about 6 months before committing. Other saws I considered were the Minimax 16 and 18", Laguna 18" and the Aggi 18".

In short, I'm thrilled with my choice. I LOVE this saw. It's fit an finish are excellent. It's performance is astonishing. Jesse at Eagle Tools was a pleasure to work with. No one crates a tool as well as they do. They could have parachuted the thing into my driveway and I don't think it would have been damaged.

It's difficult to buy a machine sight unseen, but here are some of the points that helped me decide.

First of all, I think the Aggi has a very competitive price point. Much better then the Laguna or Minimax 16"

Second, If you surf for long enough, you'll come across customer support horror stories for both Laguna and Minimax, but try as I might, I could not find one for Aggis.

Third, don't be impressed by bells and whistles. The primary reason to get a high end bandsaw is the performance that's possible with a solidly built well engineered machine.

I've heard some people complain about the guides. I'm not sure why, It comes with Euro guides and they work great for me. I'm resawing veneers with it. But if it really bugs you, you can always outfit it with whatever you want.

What finally did it for me is that Aggazani is one of the few companies left that still manufactures it's own machines. I thought that it would count for something and the saw that I received bore that out. The others all contract the manufacturing to other companies.

If you do go with an Aggi, I would suggest you consider the 20" over the 18". Their true industrial build specs begin at the 20", I'm sure the 18" is a great machine, but the 20 is one beefy machine. There is no piece of wood I could throw on this thing that would even come close to budging the table. It's has a 13.5" resaw height, So that's the limit I suppose. But honestly, If it did have the space and my shop we're big enough (and I had about 8 people to help me) I could probably drop a 3 foot wide log on the thing and it wouldn't even wince.

ian maybury
09-27-2010, 5:15 AM
As some of you know i've just bought a slightly used 24in Agazzani after doing a lot of thinking about buying a locally available saw very similar to a 21in Grizzly. (not the re-saw model) Basically because the Agazzani (from feedback here and elsewhere) was more of a known quantity, and one came available at a very good price.

It's not in use yet as so far i've not had much luck in my search for a used phase converter of the right size. I've even got a 1in Lenox Woodmaster CT waiting to try out...

The bit i've not managed to figure out relates to the Driftmaster Fence. It's not exactly rocket science, and the other makers could easily offer something like it i imagine if they wanted.

Yet most (e.g. MM) seem to suggest re-sawing/cutting veneers between the blade and the stock fence - which setting isn't a big deal to adjust surely? It maybe requires (some say not) a quick pass of the face to the fence over a jointer before each cut, something that's not going to be practical if you are deep re-sawing and only have a narrow jointer. But there's the odd noise about that suggests the micro adjuster on the DM can be restrictive too.

Grandstanding aside, it suggests to me that it's possibly a bit of a toss up situation. That maybe the DM has some features that sound attractive, but that equally the real world advantage over a decent stock fence is possibly pretty minimal - especially with a good saw and blade where drift may be less of an issue. (pardon me for a moment while i put on my steel helmet :))...

ian

Van Huskey
09-28-2010, 12:25 AM
Chris, Mark did get an Agazzani. My plan was to get the B-24 but I waited long enough and found a MM-20 for a REALLY good deal. All of the big Italian three are great saws and there is really not that much difference between them, the horror stories are pretty proportional to the saws out there, there are not many Agazzanis since they are almost mythical when trying to get info on them. As for the Lagunas the CS and/or QC problems are very rare for their Italian saws, most center on their Asian products.