PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Turn a Segmented Bowl?

Jon Hutchinson
04-13-2010, 11:37 AM
I've been turning for quite a few years ... mostly spindle-type turning. Recently I've been teaching myself hollow form turning - small vases, boxes. I decided to try a segmented bowl, but don't know how to start the rough shaping on the outside (putting the segments together was the easy part). Here's how it's set up:

3" faceplate on the spindle
4" diameter by 2" high poplar scratch block screwed to the faceplate
4" diameter by 1-1/2" high cherry bottom glued to the scratch block
First ring: 5-1/4" diameter by 1-1/8" high
Second ring: 6-1/4" diameter by 1-1/8" high
Third ring: 7" diameter by 1-1/8" high

The rings were glued up individually and turned round (outside only) before the next ring was glued on. So now I have the whole project on the lathe with the bottom on the spindle side.

I have 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" and 5/8" bowl gouges (none of which I'm very proficient at using).

I know that most bowl turning is done from the bottom up, with the bottom facing the tail stock. I've turned vases that way, then reversed them for hollowing. With the bottom of the segmented bowl on the spindle side my turning position is a bit awkward. So the big question is:

Should I start turning from the bottom (spindle side) using a pull cut? Or should I try to do a push cut from the top (tail stock side) down to the bottom?

Thanks to all who can give me a quick lesson!

Jon

Malcolm Tibbetts
04-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Jon, very briefly, here is how I turn segmented pieces. I round as I stack, keeping the thickest walls possible until the vessel is complete (in the case of a hollow form, it's usually in two pieces). Then I work on the outside shape; once I'm satisfied, I start on the inside from the top working down to the inside base. Just as with solid wood hollowing, you want to keep strength for stability at the base area for as long as possible. Good luck.

Stephen Saar
04-13-2010, 12:48 PM
I'd try turning it with a lathe. I hear that's the best way......

Sorry, don't actually have anything useful to add just wanted to be a smart-a**

:-)

Richard Madison
04-13-2010, 1:05 PM
Jon,
Probably easier to start at the top (tailstock end) on the outside too, and work your way toward the bottom. If you can not quite finish shaping the bottom end, you can do it when you reverse to clean up the bottom. I usually make the last few very light passes shear scraping with a bowl gouge. Pull cut on this works best for me, either right or left handed as needed.

Jon Hutchinson
04-13-2010, 1:23 PM
Thanks for the help!

Stephen - thanks for the laugh; I needed that today!

Cheers,

Jon