PDA

View Full Version : My first Feature Ring

Bill Bulloch
04-13-2010, 8:29 AM
When I posted my first segmented bowl, Richard Madison advised me to work on the basics before moving on to the more complicated patterns. That made good sense, so for the past four months I have been working on the joinery. Well, I finally decided to try a more complicated feature ring.

This feature ring came from Bill Kandler's DVD. I modified his ring a little in that his ring has two zigs and two zags and two strips of purpleheart. Mine has two zigs and one zag and one strip of purpleheart -- My purpleheart board wasn't long enough for a two zagger.

Overall I am satisified with the alignment, but maybe not so pleased with my wood selection; I probably should have used something other than the cherry in the feature ring.

It's Walnut, Cherry, Purpleheart and Yellowheart. 11 inch diameter and 6 inches high.

What ya think??

Mike Golka
04-13-2010, 8:32 AM
Looking good Bill, keep em coming.

Steve Schlumpf
04-13-2010, 8:46 AM
Bill - the joinery looks really good! Alignment looks good! Nice design! Sure is lots of color! Will be interesting to see what it looks like after the Cherry has aged for a while!

I think you did good! Thanks for sharing!

Roland Martin
04-13-2010, 9:05 AM
I agree with Steve. When the patina of the cherry comes in, the yellowheart should really jump out. Very nice work Bill. Your joinery is very well done also.

Paul Douglass
04-13-2010, 10:22 AM
NICE! That has got to take a lot of patience.

kenneth walker
04-13-2010, 10:38 AM
I love the color. great job

John Keeton
04-13-2010, 11:55 AM
Great job, Bill!! Superb joinery, and I looked closely.;) I do disagree though, in that I see two zags and one zig, but then I looked at it with a mirror and now I am confused!?!?!?:confused::confused::D

Richard Madison
04-13-2010, 1:20 PM
Bill,

I think your one-zagger looks great. Ditto what Steve and others said on joinery and alignment. Nice work.