PDA

View Full Version : Power tool brand

Robert gree
04-13-2010, 6:04 AM
Due to a recent move and theft i know longer have many of my handheld power tools, and am in need to replace them, I do run a business with my tools, But not a full cabinet shop. Mainly 4-5 cabs a week.

I do like some of festool stuff (there plunge circular saw is nice) but i cant bring myself to pay the price. Nor can i at the moment. I was looking into Porter Cable as they have had a good track record and never been let down. But am concerned now the Black and Decker has got a hold of them if quality had suffered.

brands im looking at are

Porter Cable
Hitachi
Bosch

I am brand specific so for the most part most my tools will be the same brand unless i find something i cant live without.

Rich Engelhardt
04-13-2010, 7:21 AM
But am concerned now the Black and Decker has got a hold of them if quality had suffered.

Ryobi &/or HF - IMHO- offer a better value to price ratio than PC does anymore.:(

@ least w/those two, you know from the getgo you're buying junk.

John Coloccia
04-13-2010, 7:36 AM
I don't personally own any PC anymore, and that's all I'll say about that. I've had good luck with both Hitachi and Bosch, but I've had good luck with a lot of different brands as well depending on the specific tool. If you came up with a list of what needs to be replaced, I'm sure you'll get a zillion responses for each item that will help you hone in on what you need.

Sorry that you have to go through what you're going through.

Josh Rudolph
04-13-2010, 7:39 AM
In my opinion Porter Cable has fell since the B&D takeover.

My handheld power tools are a large majority Milwaukee with more and more Bosch showing up. I have not had problems with either and impressed every time I use them.

My brother really liked Hitachi a couple years ago, but he has since shifted into Milwaukee and Bosch. He said the Hitachi was great but didn't hold up like he wanted.

Josh

Matt Meiser
04-13-2010, 7:46 AM
I'd look at each tool individually rather than looking for a brand. The exception would be that if you are going to invest in a cordless system, find one that you like and stick with that so you can share batteries.

Chris Kennedy
04-13-2010, 9:04 AM
I have had good luck with Bosch, older Porter Cable (and some of their classic tools, though in the new color scheme, seem to be exactly the same -- the PC 690, 890, and their belt sanders).

Cheers,

Chris

glenn bradley
04-13-2010, 9:06 AM
I agree with Matt. the days of brand loyalty are pretty much gone unless you are looking at a narrow slice of offerings. Everyone seems to like their Bosch jigsaws, Milwaukee's Sawzall is still hanging in there, Milwaukee routers have done well by me, DeWalt's corded drills are still nice enough for my use, oddly Ridgid's small lithium drill motors are my new favorite. Rather than try to get your tools to match in color, perhaps a list of the types of tools you are after will get you a more accurate response from folks(?).

Harold Burrell
04-13-2010, 9:52 AM
Ryobi &/or HF - IMHO- offer a better value to price ratio than PC does anymore.:(

@ least w/those two, you know from the getgo you're buying junk.

Ok, sorry...but that made me spray my monitor with coffee! :D

Glen Butler
04-13-2010, 10:11 AM
If you are going to be brand specific I say Makita. Their tools rock. Every one I have picked up recently I have been impressed with.

Bosch is good overall but some of their tools are a little off, specifically their worm drive (plate is always twisted out of the box) and their plunge router.

I agree with Glenn. It seems each company has an area that they shine. Brand loyalty will most likely get you a crappy tool sometime down the road. Especially Ryobi - they just want to get you a cheap tool that may or may not kill and/or dismember you.

The Ridgid stuff I own I like, but there are many Ridgid tools I wouldn't consider. I own their, SCMS (2), portable TS, chop saw, cordless combo pack (hammer drill, recip saw, circ saw)

Cary Falk
04-13-2010, 10:14 AM
I don't like the direction Porter Cable is headed. I would put in a vote to look at Makita also.

Ken Garlock
04-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Hi Robert.

When we built our home back in 2002, the framing crew would only use Makita circular saws, and De Walt miter saws. The man who ran the framing crew claimed that they got the best service out the Makita. They also used the inexpensive Marathon blades from Home Depot. They worked well, and when they got dull, new ones were available at any HD.

Lex Boegen
04-13-2010, 1:07 PM
I have good experiences with Makita tools. If you like the Festool plunge circular saw, Makita makes one too that cost less money (and can use the same Festool track, or Makita's own track). That's near the top of my wish list (right after the Incra LS system).

paul cottingham
04-13-2010, 1:57 PM
Bosch, makita and Milwaukee. If I haven't broken them, you probably can't. :-) I am clumsy and hard on tools.

David Helm
04-13-2010, 2:05 PM
It really depends on the individual tool. Sawzall you can't beat the Milwaukee; small circular saws, the older PC; random orbit and 1/4 sheet sanders, the older PC; worm-drive stay with the original; jigsaw, Bosch. These have been my choices, used professionally for many years with great service and durability.

Dave Gaul
04-13-2010, 2:08 PM
I vote for not being locked into one brand! I personnaly looked for the biggest bang-for-the-buck I can/am willing to afford/spend at the time. I have tools from HF and I have DeWalt, Makita, Milwaukee, Ridgid, Bosch, Craftsman etc.... etc... etc...
I usually research the heck out of things before I buy, and I haven't regretted a single purchase, except for the jig saw I cheaped out on and went with a B&D... horrible tool! But, I don't use a jig saw too often, but maybe if I had a nice Bosch I would use it more!!!

Charles Wiggins
04-13-2010, 2:16 PM
I'd look at each tool individually rather than looking for a brand. The exception would be that if you are going to invest in a cordless system, find one that you like and stick with that so you can share batteries.

+1

I used to be a Porter Cable guy, and still have two PC routers, a palm sander and a circular saw, but I am bit dubious since the B&D takeover as Josh and Cary mentioned. I would still jump on it if I could find some lightly used PC corded tools or some back stock from before the takeover.

As far as cordless, I went with Ryobi One and have not been disappointed.

Robert gree
04-13-2010, 6:34 PM
I quess it will help if i post the tools im looking for with what i am planning to purchase

I guess i will replace what i need right now for the moment with Ryobi. and start a tool fund and buy what i want one piece at a time, Most likely festool.

What got me looking at porter cable was there right angle RAS

Thank you for the input i guess it is truly you get what you pay for, instead of being able to count on a brand anymore.

Van Huskey
04-13-2010, 7:29 PM

+1 PC still makes the 7518 and it is still the router motor to own. That said IF I had to be held to one brand it would be Bosch, most of their tools rival Festool in most ways and the prices are usually decent.

Back to PC for a second their routers, belt sanders and biscuit joiner are still three areas I find them hard to beat. Then again thats the only tools I have ever felt like they had the best of, not counting oddballs like drywall sanders etc.

Robert gree
04-13-2010, 7:39 PM
odd question when buying a festool tool do they come with the plastic cases?

Tony Bilello
04-13-2010, 7:48 PM
I am still having good luck with PC. I would not trade my new 4x24 Belt sander for anything. I am still loyal to PC.

Bill Pitz
04-13-2010, 8:20 PM
I am also not crazy about the direction PC is headed. Suddenly PC bandsaws and tablesaws are showing up at Lowe's, and the mainstay handheld tools don't feel the same. Feels like the name got sold to someone who doesn't completely "get it". I love my old 690s, though.

Have some Bosch, love the jigsaw, kinda take or leave the rest. I am the one person on the planet who likes his I-driver.

My 18v Dewalts have become my second-line tools. I am effing sick of buying batteries every ten minutes.

A set of 18v LiOn Ryobis showed up a few weeks ago, and although I never thought I would say anything good about Ryobi, they are very decent tools for the money. I should point out that the Festool saw has taken a lot of work away from the cordless saw, so I'm mostly using the drill, but a very decent drill it is.

I think a lot of the Ridgid handhelds are made by Ryobi these days.

Joe Shinall
04-13-2010, 8:23 PM
Bosch, makita and Milwaukee. If I haven't broken them, you probably can't. :-) I am clumsy and hard on tools.

+1 on this. Those 3 are my favorites hands down.

Have to be leery about Ryobis. Have had some pretty good stuff of theirs, but went through 2 ROS in one year. Switched to the Ridgid ROS and haven't had a problem in 10 months. Use it almost everyday. The 18Volt Ryobi drills are ok, but I prefer my Makitas more. Smaller and pack more punch to me. Bosch routers, jigsaws, and drills are awesome. Truthfully now that I think of it, like everyone else keeps saying, it really depends on the tool as to which brand I prefer. I have nothing Porter Cable except the 4212 dovetail jig.

Steve Griffin
04-13-2010, 8:54 PM
As mentioned before, each brand has the best tools.

But, generally speaking, when I go a tool shoppin, here's the order in which I start looking:

1)Makita
2)Milwalkee
3)Bosch

I've had 5 porter cable tools, and they were the worst 5 tools I have owned. (The 5" sander that took 5 minutes to finish spinning, the trim router which was perfect if you never needed a 90 degree cut, the 17 gauge nailer which needed not one, but TWO tools to switch between sizes of brad nails and the 6" sander which was engineered by drunk members of the carpel tunnel society)

Anyway, look at each tool independently and stay clear of the brand that starts with P.

-Steve

John Coloccia
04-13-2010, 9:04 PM
Ah, which reminds me. The one Porter Cable tool that I really love is the Speed Bloc.

Van Huskey
04-13-2010, 9:19 PM
odd question when buying a festool tool do they come with the plastic cases?

MOST Festool tools come with the systainer, the Kapex for example is an obvious one that does not come with a systainer.

Dave Lewis
04-14-2010, 8:35 PM
I'm a homeowner.

My first go-to brand is Bosch - 2 HP router kit, rom sander, belt sander, jigsaw.

I have a Fein 3HP router that's relatively quiet parked in a BenchDog router table; though I'd look at the Triton brand now.

The Makita 18V portable set has been veryyy good - drill, impact, cir. saw, sawzall. Have Makita 10" scms - works fine, but market has moved to 12"; try Bosch.

Corded drill is Milwaukee - I'd try their 18 v set for fit - but battery rating wasn't good ~ 3 yrs ago.

fit - battery life - service (as with all other purchases?)

Mark Woodmark
04-14-2010, 8:47 PM
I am brand specific so for the most part most my tools will be the same brand unless i find something i cant live without.

Each brand has their specialities (good tools) and their dogs. Skil is a good example of this with their worm drive Skilsaw which is almost bullet proof whereas some of their other tools are mediocre at best. If I had to choose from the list, I would go with Porter Cable. Their tool lines overall quality seems to have fewer peaks and valleys

Paul Greathouse
04-14-2010, 10:19 PM
I never did brand buy but I have been picking up alot of the same brand lately, "Bosch". If your only going to buy one brand Bosch would be my pick. They just seem to have the greater amount of quality for the variety that they offer. Some of their top of the line stuff is still make in Sweden if that means anything to you. Of the Bosch tools I have the Sweden made stuff seems to be higher quality than the others made elsewhere.

As most anyone will tell you their Jigsaw is the best you can buy. The Brute 18V cordless drill is also a very high quality tool along with the new cordless 12V multi tool and the little 12V driver.

I have all the above mentioned along with their 5" and 6" Random orbit sanders, power hand planer, flush cut saw, and one of their older circular saws. I also have the RotoZip which is owned by Bosch.

They are all good to great tools and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of them. Oh, and to quote an old gun owners bumpersticker, "They will get my Bosch Jigsaw when they pry my cold dead hands from around it".

When it comes to routers I like the older PC's, Milwaukee's new stuff and the Dewalt Plunge routers formerly made by Elu. For corded drills I like Hitachi. In circular saws I like my two Makita's and my Hilti.

Gary Pennington
04-14-2010, 10:31 PM
Add my name to the totally sold on Bosch camp. Worked for a friend a few years ago who had several Bosch power tools--10" SCMS and jig saw among them. Was the first jig saw I ever used that actually made me feel as though I had total control of the saw. Loved using the SCMS. Been a Bosch guy ever since and have a bunch in my shop.

Dave MacArthur
04-15-2010, 7:00 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=138102
another thread from today talking about the decline of Porter Cable

Myk Rian
04-15-2010, 7:06 PM
With the improvements in their tools, look at the Craftsman line.

Jeff Duncan
04-16-2010, 2:19 PM
I use my tools to make my living and they get well used. I am not brand specific but buy what I feel is the best tool for my purpose. I have had great luck with Porter Cable tools....BUT....not necessarily the ones you can buy at a box store! Lately those seem to be marketed towards homeowners, (with some exceptions like the 690's) and are priced and last accordingly. Most of the PC tools I've bought were purchased from tool suppliers, both brick and mortar and more recently online, or used from auctions.
For cordless drills I have been using Makita for a good 20 years and don't see changing that anytime soon. Ryobi's are good for the jobsite as they're less likely to walk away, and inexpensive enough that it doesn't hurt as much when they do. Most of my routers are PC690's with 1 decent Milwaukee, and a couple misc others.
Biscuit joiner is a PC also, found they had a slight edge on the DeWalt and I'm just not a big fan of DeWalt stuff anyway. Belt sanders are PC's as is the rarely used finish sander. Recip is a Sawzall of course, jigsaw is a Bosch, probably the best on the market second to Festool.
Then you start getting into the specialty stuff, Fein tool is essential in my shop, as is my Virutex lipping planer.
If your into having every tool the same brand then by all means it's a free country. Just don't expect to have the best tools for the money, or for that matter even being able to put together a complete set, which of course depends on what you need to be complete.
good luck,
JeffD

Greg Portland
04-16-2010, 4:33 PM
Robert, can you post a bit more about your business and your tool needs? Are you making the cabinets or just installing pre-built modules from a factory? What other kind of work are you doing? Festool is great for cabinetmaking and installation but is not always appropriate for framing or heavier construction (at least the stuff available in NA). For example, I would not want to use the TS55 as a framing saw.

For cordless drills and impact drivers take a look at Panasonic or Makita lithium (seems to be a clone of the Panasonic drill).

If you are building cabinets, take a close look at the Festool domino. I was able to save a LOT of time with a recent bookshelf project, especially on the face frames & carcass building.

Sanders: Bosch or Festool (hook either up to a vacuum for optimal performance)

Vacuums: Fein or Festool (other vacs tend to blow dust around)

Jigsaw: Bosch has historically been the best. You can get it in either handle style.

Chopsaw: Makita or Festool if you have the $$$

Circ saw: depends on style and blade location preferences

demolition saw: Milwaukee

corded drills: Milwaukee (Hilti at a certain point but they are $$$)

Richard Dooling
04-16-2010, 6:10 PM
I do think you have to look at individual tools. I used to swear by PC but have largely shifted to Bosch and I have a Milwaukee router I like a lot. Still I have a 4 year old 690 PC I like too.

I have one Festool product and it is the smoothest ROS I've ever used (the 5"). Hard for a weekend warrior to justify the expense but they are excellent tools.

In looking for a reasonably priced drill press I have agonized over where to spend my money. With a limited budget and a couple of "must haves" I've settled on the new PC 15". I have just taken the parts into the shop and hope to assemble tomorrow. I have to say that this looks to have been engineered specifically to compete with Ridgid's well reviewed 15" drill press but it has a couple of features that differ from Ridgid that I really like. Personal preference.

PLUS - HD reps. ARE YOU LISTENING??? - Lowes had one of these assembled for me to look at. I tried two HDs in two cities and I was told they thought there was a 360 view on the web:mad:. Sorry for yelling.

Anyway the PC looks pretty good as a pile of parts and the chuck is very nicely made:rolleyes:. I'll see what tomorrow brings.

Thanks to a fellow Creeker for recommending this machine.