PDA

View Full Version : Re-finishing fine desk

George Lohnes
04-12-2010, 10:05 PM
This is probably going to be a strange post... but that hardly disinguishes it from several of my others i suppose....

I have a rather nice desk which has gone though a whole lot of punishment (ie. sweat from arm... a few wine spills and most likely some vodka and/or food stains)... you get the picture

As I am a relative rookie to the woodworking game... it stands to reason that "finishing" is not in my repetroi (nor is spelling).

Is there a company and/or an individual in the Boston area that you would recommend in terms of refinishing and rejuvinating this desk?

Should I do it myself (with zero experience as the baseline)?

Thanks for any ideas u may have

John Towns
04-14-2010, 9:28 AM
I would be inclined to suggest that you do it yourself.

Before doing that, however, you might want to consider if the 'nice desk' has antique value. If it does, then I would consult with a refinishing professional for restoration. If there is little or no antique value, then it would be 'safer' to risk doing this yourself. You only build your skills by trying it. There are many books and reference tools available to show you how to do it.

I would not know of anyone in your area to provide refinishing services, but no doubt there are many.

As far as your spelling...eye kant spel eeether (or is it eyether)!

Good luck with your project.

Prashun Patel
04-14-2010, 9:32 AM
Post some pix. The type of existing topcoat, the wood species, and the underlying color will all factor into how difficult this might be.