PDA

View Full Version : 17"-18" Bandsaws

Mark Woodmark
04-12-2010, 9:33 PM
Have been researching bandsaws. I am looking at the following three; RIKON 10-345, Grizzly G0513X2, and Argazzini B-18. I really like the Argazzini, but is it really worth more than twice either one of the two others?

Jeff Willard
04-12-2010, 10:22 PM
Unfortunately, this is governed by the law of diminishing returns. Double the money should get you more bandsaw, but not twice the bandsaw.

FWIW, I have a small Laguna (LT14 SUV). Comparing it to the smaller Rikon, I'd have to say it is twice the bandsaw, for less than double the price. If you can spare the extra coin, I wouldn't even think about the two lesser saws. The Aggie will be in a whole 'nother league.

Van Huskey
04-12-2010, 10:59 PM
The Aggie, Laguna and Minimax are the big leagues of new woodworking bandsaws. If you can swing it get one of the three IF you want a REALLY excellent BS. In the 18" range I would take a hard look at the Laguna LT18, it has arguably the best guides in the industry and in April it somes with a free $400 Driftmaster fence which is arguably the best fence on the market. It has a 18 3/8" resaw capability and a 4.5 hp Baldor to make that happen.

If you do not want to spend the coin and want to stay in the Griz/Rikon ballpark I would rather have the Rikon than the 513X2, shame you missed the $999 sale on them an WC some people were even able to get 10% off that, but if you can wat the Rikon stuff tends to go on and off sale and you might get lucky.

Jeff Willard
04-13-2010, 12:03 AM
...arguably the best guides in the industry... ...Driftmaster fence which is arguably the best fence on the market.

No arguments here. Got 'em both and love 'em both.

Chuck Saunders
04-13-2010, 8:33 AM
I have been very happy with my 513x2.

Mark Woodmark
04-13-2010, 11:58 AM
Have thrown the Laguna LT16 into the mix. Actually I have narrowed it down to either this saw or the Argazzini B-18. I hear so much about Lagunas guides and driftmaster fence that I have put aside my past negative dealing with Laguna and am looking at their machine. Please weigh in and tell me which of these two machine you would purchase

Jeff Willard
04-13-2010, 1:35 PM
I have no practical experience with the Aggie, but I hear nothing but good about them. I do have practical experience with Laguna guides, and have to say that I don't think there is a better guide system out there. Six points of support on each upper, and lower guides, as opposed to three.

When I purchased my saw, a major factor in my decision was space and the size of the footprint. If that wasn't a factor and I were doing it all over again today, I'd still buy a Laguna. The guide system is that good.

As for the Driftmaster, that can be adapted to just about any make of saw.