PDA

View Full Version : Waterlox satin over semi

Mark August
04-12-2010, 9:16 PM
I have an oak floor that was finished with three coats of Waterlox semi-gloss three years ago. I would like to now change to the satin finish. Can I just put a coat of satin down, or is there anything I need to do in preparation.

Thanks,

Mark

Scott Holmes
04-12-2010, 10:20 PM
Yes, you will need to scuff sand AFTER you clean the floor.

Chip Schaffner
04-13-2010, 2:06 PM
Waterlox does not require you to sand or scuff the floor between coats for adhesion purposes.

You’ll want to clean the floor/surface with TSP (trisodium phosphate) and water and complete a clear water rinse and then let that dry completely. If you have many scuffs and blemishes in the floor you can you can maroon pad buff the entire surface, tack it, and then apply at least one coat of the Satin finish at that point at 500 square feet per gallon per coat.

Hope this helps.

Chip Schaffner - Waterlox Coatings

Scott Holmes
04-13-2010, 9:08 PM
The floors were finished 3 years ago...I'd recommend cleaning it VERY well, light scuff coat is optional.

Joe Chritz
04-14-2010, 7:37 AM
Indeed you can just top coat but obviously this isn't a third coat of finish if the floor is 3 years in use.

Prep the floor as mentioned and have at it.

It is very common for people to use gloss for the first several coats and top coat with satin or semi. The lack of flatteners in the first coats helps keep the finish from becoming to "opaque" for lack of a better word.

Joe

Phil Phelps
04-14-2010, 12:02 PM
Indeed you can just top coat but obviously this isn't a third coat of finish if the floor is 3 years in use.

Prep the floor as mentioned and have at it.

It is very common for people to use gloss for the first several coats and top coat with satin or semi. The lack of flatteners in the first coats helps keep the finish from becoming to "opaque" for lack of a better word.

Joe

Usually, the higer the gloss, the harder the finish.