PDA

View Full Version : DP chuck question

Paul Saffold
04-12-2010, 9:15 PM
I have a Delta bench-top drill press. Bought it new ~25 years ago. The chuck is very stiff to turn. I have the chuck off and I thought about soaking it in liquid wrench then lubing with 3 in 1 oil but I don't want to make it worse in the long run. Are they packed with grease? Suggestions welcome. Thanks for your help. Paul

Bill Huber
04-12-2010, 9:51 PM
I have a old Craftsman and had the same problem, it was very tight. I took it off and flushed it with mineral spirits a bunch of times and then blow it out with the air hose, let it set for a night and then put some Tri-Flow in it and it has been doing fine for over a year.

So I would say go for it.

Paul Saffold
04-12-2010, 9:57 PM
Thanks Bill.

John McClanahan
04-12-2010, 10:06 PM
Soaking the chuck will not harm anything. There is no grease in it. I used to know how to press one apart to clean, but its been many years.

John

Nate Folco
04-13-2010, 10:19 AM
Here is an article on re-building a Jacobs chuck. It should give you a pretty good idea of what is inside.
http://wiki.owwm.com/JacobsChuckRebuild.ashx

Lee Schierer
04-13-2010, 12:45 PM
Most people don't, but everyone should periodically, oil their chuck to maintain smooth operation. WD-40 will act as a solvent, but soon evaporates so use a light machine oil (3 in 1). I take mine off and apply a liberal amount of oil at the moving joints and let it soak in. Wipe off the excess and you are good to go for 6-12 months.