PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail blade for my band saw

Leigh Betsch
04-12-2010, 7:55 PM
Anyone have a recommendation for a band saw blade specifically for cutting dovetails? I kinda want to give it a try. I've got a MM20 so it will handle quite a range of blade widths. I'm thinking a 1/2 blade would be good, but I don't know what hook shape or manufacture to look to.

Jeff Willard
04-12-2010, 10:36 PM
I can't help with tooth configuration, but I can offer nothing but praise for Lenox bands. Whatever configuration you decide on, they likely make it.

Leigh Betsch
04-12-2010, 11:18 PM
I also sent Sam Blasco and e-mail. As far as I'm concered he's the man when it comes to band saws. He has also suggested Lenox blades in the past to me, but I didn't ask specifically about dovetails. I also have Loni Birds band saw book, I'll give it a look see tonight and see if he recommends anything.

bob hertle
04-13-2010, 7:00 AM
Leigh,

You may want to look at this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=131057

I've done lots of bandsaw dovetails and the blade I use depends on the size of the dovetails. For drawers or small boxes (3/8 or 1/2 inch stock), I like a 1/8-14 blade. For larger structural dovetails I've used 1/2-6 raker, not a hook, since the raker leaves a better finish.

Good luck, bandsaw dovetails are fun, but can be frustrating at first!

Regards,
Bob

Leigh Betsch
04-13-2010, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the link.
Your dovetails look great. I'm thinking I'll router the 1/2 blinds though, I just ordered a 10 degree router bit. Do you have any problems with such a small blade? What saw are you using. Sam Blasco recommended a 1" Lenox Woodmaster CT. I need to talk with him though, seems like more teeth per inch would give a better finish.

Van Huskey
04-13-2010, 11:17 PM
What guides do you have? That makes a difference in the control of a small blade. I like using a Carter stabilzer for 1/8" blade work.

Leigh Betsch
04-13-2010, 11:42 PM
I bought a set of Laguna ceramics and got rid of my Euro guides, couldn'tstand them. The smallest blade I've used with the Laguan guides is 1/4", that works fine..