PDA

View Full Version : Very Small Drill Press Gloat and Question

Michael Peet
04-12-2010, 7:22 PM
Okay, I doubt this is a great drill press, but it was free to me and says it was made in the USA. I hope it will be better than nothing. I spent the better part of the weekend scrubbing rust off it, and there's still more to go.

148002 148003

Of course it did not come with a manual, and I am wondering how to change the belt position. Do I just horse it onto the pulley I want? I didn't see any kind of tension release or anything like that, but I didn't inspect inside the hatch too closely yet.

Also, the front pulley wobbles a little back and forth when running. Is there any way to fix that?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

mark kosse
04-12-2010, 7:26 PM
Mike, There is a lever on the motor plate that releases tension on the motor to change belt position. As far as the wobble, can you be more specific? Is the pully bent, spindle bent?

If the wobble isn't too bad it's a decent drill press.

Michael Peet
04-12-2010, 7:32 PM
Thanks Mark. Is it this?

I still have to figure out if the wobble is the shaft or the pulley itself.

Mike

Russ Hauser
04-12-2010, 7:35 PM
In the second photo there is a rod that is pressed against the motor plate. It is holding pressure to tension the belt. Loosen the set screw holding the ron against the plate to allow the belt to be moved on the pulleys.

Sears user manuals are available from their site. All you need is the model number of the DP.

Russ Hauser

Bill Huber
04-12-2010, 7:47 PM
I think that is a good drill press, I have the same one that I bought in 1975 and it is still going strong.

The only problem is there is no crank to raise and lower the table so I put a HF hydraulic cylinder under it, works great.

The other little thing is that cover on top, it make a lot of noise, well mine did so I just took it off.

Michael Peet
04-12-2010, 8:12 PM
Cool idea Bill. That table is heavy. Yes, my plastic cover rattles too.

Mike

mark kosse
04-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Yup, sure is. You'll like it just fine. A little extra tension quiets it down a lot. I just used to releave the tension after using it.

Michael Peet
04-13-2010, 5:45 PM
Got the belt tension released and took off the pulley. It looks like the shaft runs true, so I guess it might be the pulley.

I can't think of a way to repair it, so I ordered what I hope is a replacement (the representative didn't sound too sure, and said only one of the two pulleys is still available). I also ordered the manual for $7 since it's not available on line.

Just blue-skying it here - is it feasible to swap out both pulleys with newer ones?

Thanks for all your help -

Mike

Ernie Nyvall
04-13-2010, 7:25 PM
Figure out a place to wrap a bungee cord around the lid, or maybe get some of those sticky backed rubber or felt dots they use on cabinet doors for the rattle.

Congrats on the free drill press.

glenn bradley
04-13-2010, 7:41 PM
Cool idea Bill. That table is heavy. Yes, my plastic cover rattles too.

Mike

I silenced my Delta with a little strip of foam tape.

David H Parker
04-14-2010, 6:27 PM
I used to have one just like that. I got tired of fighting with the table (without the height adjustment crank) So..... I purchased off of Craigslist a like new Craftsman 17" drill press...... I never really used the new one before selling the the old one. What a MISTAKE!! :mad:

The one you have will run rings around the newer ones. I'm looking for another one like you have.

David