PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly vs Jet band saw question? with a twist!

Jason Fastenau
04-12-2010, 6:47 PM
Howdy all. I'm looking to buy my first band saw in the 18" range. The issue I have is that I'm in rural Alaska, and have very limited choices for what I can get here.

Grizzly will ship the 513x2 to me, with a total cost of about $1600 to get the beast into my shop when all is said and done. The only 18" band saw I can find being sold in the entire state of Alaska is a Jet JWBS-18QT-3 for about $1700. It's in Fairbanks which I can drive to and get the saw loaded into my truck for the 4 hour drive home.

If I were in the real world I'd go for the Griz in a heartbeat at the price difference, (or look for another 18" like the Rikon, which I can't get shipped here).

The reviews I've been able to find on the Jet saw are mostly for the older model, which seems to have had some issues. I'm wondering if the 3HP with the triangular column has addressed the issues discussed with the older saws adequately, and thought you folks might be able to shed some light on the modern incarnation of the tool.

The only reason I'd go for the Jet over the Griz is if it turned out to be a superior machine, otherwise I'll definitely order the Griz since it should do everything I want a band saw to do for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and hopefully to give some sage advice.

John Stan
04-12-2010, 7:05 PM
Howdy all. I'm looking to buy my first band saw in the 18" range. The issue I have is that I'm in rural Alaska, and have very limited choices for what I can get here.

Grizzly will ship the 513x2 to me, with a total cost of about $1600 to get the beast into my shop when all is said and done. The only 18" band saw I can find being sold in the entire state of Alaska is a Jet JWBS-18QT-3 for about $1700. It's in Fairbanks which I can drive to and get the saw loaded into my truck for the 4 hour drive home.

If I were in the real world I'd go for the Griz in a heartbeat at the price difference, (or look for another 18" like the Rikon, which I can't get shipped here).

The reviews I've been able to find on the Jet saw are mostly for the older model, which seems to have had some issues. I'm wondering if the 3HP with the triangular column has addressed the issues discussed with the older saws adequately, and thought you folks might be able to shed some light on the modern incarnation of the tool.

The only reason I'd go for the Jet over the Griz is if it turned out to be a superior machine, otherwise I'll definitely order the Griz since it should do everything I want a band saw to do for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and hopefully to give some sage advice.
I would get the Grizzly over the Jet any day of the week. I have a Grizzly bandsaw and would buy it again.

Wade Lippman
04-12-2010, 7:25 PM
The Jet has a bit more capacity and a 3hp motor. I would take it over the Grizzly and $100 any day. I personally wouldn't care for the 8 hour drive to get the Jet, but that might not be a problem for you. (I have 3 big Grizzlys and one big Jet; they are all fine)

I am surprised tools aren't more readily available up there. I noticed a grocery store in Valdez carried 5 woodworking magazines, so I figured it must be a popular hobby.

Jason Fastenau
04-12-2010, 8:01 PM
Yeah, it's unfortunate that there aren't more options here. I could get a few different sorts of 14" band saws if I wanted them, but the Jet is the only larger option locally. It's a real pain given the huge cost of shipping as well. Plus, it's not like we can just drive a few hours to another state and get what we need there.

What we do have a lot more of than average is places to buy portable band saw mills.

Van Huskey
04-12-2010, 8:22 PM
The Jet has a bit more capacity and a 3hp motor. I would take it over the Grizzly and $100 any day. I personally wouldn't care for the 8 hour drive to get the Jet, but that might not be a problem for you. (I have 3 big Grizzlys and one big Jet; they are all fine)

I am surprised tools aren't more readily available up there. I noticed a grocery store in Valdez carried 5 woodworking magazines, so I figured it must be a popular hobby.

+1, the new Jet addressed the issues of the old one and at $100 difference NO contest. It is a bigger saw with a bigger motor and a warranty 5 times as long. The 513X2 is a fine saw but the price difference in the lower 48 is closer to $500 shipped at that rpice difference the 513X2 is a better value, at $100 difference the Jet is a better machine, that is if you don't mind the trip to pick it up.

Joseph Tarantino
04-12-2010, 9:11 PM
"The only reason I'd go for the Jet over the Griz is if it turned out to be a superior machine, otherwise I'll definitely order the Griz ...."

looks like you'll be buying the grizzly. i'd buy the grizzly and i own a jet 18" BS. it's an "ok" tool, but a little too long on promise and too short on delivery. and jet's tech support is...the nicest thing i can say is that it's just so darn disappointing. i've gotten better help with my jet BS finding a similar grizzly product and going to grizzly tech support for assistance. if i ever replace the jet, which i got off CL as part of $2500 worth of stuff i got from a distressed seller(divorce) for $140, i won't even look at a jet or powermatic. grizz or rikon are on my short list. good luck!

Jason Fastenau
04-13-2010, 1:17 PM
Two votes for each... dang. I was hoping this would end up being an easy decision.

Van Huskey
04-13-2010, 1:26 PM
"The only reason I'd go for the Jet over the Griz is if it turned out to be a superior machine, otherwise I'll definitely order the Griz ...."

looks like you'll be buying the grizzly. i'd buy the grizzly and i own a jet 18" BS. it's an "ok" tool, but a little too long on promise and too short on delivery. and jet's tech support is...the nicest thing i can say is that it's just so darn disappointing. i've gotten better help with my jet BS finding a similar grizzly product and going to grizzly tech support for assistance. if i ever replace the jet, which i got off CL as part of $2500 worth of stuff i got from a distressed seller(divorce) for $140, i won't even look at a jet or powermatic. grizz or rikon are on my short list. good luck!

What is the model number on your Jet? Makes a HUGE difference.

Your CS experience with WMH is completely opposite of mine, the few issues I have had over the years have been taken care of completely and quickly by a tech coming to me, though given the geographic issues the OP certainly can't expect a tech coming out from any company.

Cary Falk
04-13-2010, 1:33 PM
I love my G0513x2. A extra 1", 1hp, and 4 years of warranty for $100 (+~$100 gas)is nothing to sneeze at. If it is the new one with the new column, I would think about it. I wouldn't want to make the 8hr drive though. How's that for middle of the fence?:D

Gregory Stahl
04-13-2010, 2:06 PM
I had a 513 and still own a 514x2. Both are good machines for the money.

My 513 was worked hard with a 1" Laguna Resaw King blade. Tore tires up on the machine, but had no problem getting new ones, and even kept some spares as they were inexpensive. I was sad to let the machine go when I upgraded my resaw machine to a MM24.

For stock machines, I liked resawing better with the 513 and the "euro-guides" it is equipped with over the bearing equiped 514x2.

Final thought--I have seen many Jet and Rikon machines in friends' shops. I have never felt I had the lesser machine.

Good luck!
Greg Stahl

Jason Fastenau
04-13-2010, 3:54 PM
This is getting harder and harder... Grizzly will only ship in Alaska with a single company... who the local freight agency doesn't have a contract with. I assume they have an exclusivity agreement since they'd apparently rather lose the business than pick up the phone and call a different company. I'm hoping that I'll be able to work something out with the local company later today, but it's iffy at best. I was leaning towards the griz because of the fact that I could get it on the floor of the shop for a little less money than the bigger machine with a big drive time and a bit of wrestling.

Talking to the company selling the Jet in Fairbanks it sounds like the packaging is really flimsy, which would make the loading and unloading of the 420 pound saw out of the back of my pickup interesting at best. It could still be done, but we're getting into huge pain in the ass territory.

I'm starting to think I'm destined to get a 14" saw :(

Van Huskey
04-13-2010, 4:45 PM
Really hate to here about your trouble! We do take it for granted "down here". The driver shows up drops it to the ground on a lift gate and pulls it on a pallet jack to where I want it. All this is free with WHM tools and only a little extra with Grizzly. If you decide on a 14" saw don't dispair a LOT of really fine furniture has been made on them! I use one as a second saw and cut most of my curves on it and only use the big saw for resawing.

Jason Fastenau
04-13-2010, 6:26 PM
Great news! Grizzly apparently saw the post here about the shipping issue, called me and we worked out how to get it to my place with a lift gate truck for even less money than I was originally thinking I was going to have to pay to get the tool on the ground in my shop. Thanks Jen from Grizzly! I can't wait to get the new saw!

Van Huskey
04-13-2010, 7:24 PM
Good deal!!!