PDA

View Full Version : What is your woodworking to SMC talking ratio...poll

Mark Singer
11-13-2004, 11:14 AM
All of us woodworkers love woodworking and many of us like to talk about woodworking (You will notice how few posts I have:rolleyes: ) Well if you are honest...and I am sure that you are! How much time do you spend in the shop involved in woodworking versus time spent here on SMC ....discussing it?

Lou Morrissette
11-13-2004, 11:22 AM
Well, Mark, since I'm in the process of building a new shop, I guess my time is split between carpentry and talking about woodworking. Although the carpentry (work) is enjoyable, I don't have much time for woodworking (play) these days.:(

Ken Salisbury
11-13-2004, 11:45 AM
I only wish I had a lot more shop time compared to SMC time.

Being the Moderator of both the FPP and General Woodworking Forums takes many hours/week. Being the Materials/Financial Coordinator for FPP takes many hours/week.

If I used all that SMC time in the shop I could make enough furniture, etc to furnish a couple of large houses. I didn't answer the poll since there isn't an option that matches my situation.

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/crying.gif

Kelly C. Hanna
11-13-2004, 11:51 AM
I answered the poll, but it's kinda not too fair for me to answer since I work in a woodworking field. I spend at least twice as much time in the shop as I do on the forum. I have to say that since my shop is mobile and can go on the job, most would cry foul, but I'm countin' it! :D

Dave Avery
11-13-2004, 12:03 PM
Mark,

You're on a roll..........

WRT shop time vs SMC time, I actually have very little of both. The advantage that SMC has is that I can sneak in for 5 or ten minutes at a time. In the shop, it takes me 1/2 hour to figure out where I left off......

Dave.

Michael Stafford
11-13-2004, 12:14 PM
I have to say SMC has cut into shop time somewhat as I never used to do anything on the web before I became involved with SMC because of the FPP. Never thought about using the web in that way and had no woodworking friends who said anything about woodworking on the web. Kinda isolated out here in the boonies. Computer is for work and e-mail, not anything fun kind of attitude. I still manage to go to the shop nearly every night for an hour or two and do something. But I must say I enjoy learning and talking about woodworking. What else can an old guy do at night???

Frank Pellow
11-13-2004, 12:59 PM
If you count the time that I am spending on building my shop as "woodworking", I average about 90% woodwork time to 10% SMC and other woodworking-related computer time.

TV is hardly in the picture at all -I average about 2 hours a week watching TV and about 8 hours a week on non-woodworking computer stuff.

Rich Konopka
11-13-2004, 1:11 PM
I wish I could say my shop time was more. But I can't. I have a very stringent rule of not working with any tools when I am fatigued. With a career that demands 10-12 hour days and most of the time is in front of the computer or customers, 2 kids in soccer, helping with homework, and being Mr. Mom with a wife in school full time doesn't leave much time.

Until I get to a point in my life where I am retired or I win the lotto ;) I do not see shop time increasing that much in the near future.

One benefit of SMC is that I can surf it while I'm on those boring conference calls at work. :D

Mark Singer
11-13-2004, 1:14 PM
Frank,
It counts...that is hard work and it is woodworking related...that is an amazing % wow!

If you count the time that I am spending on building my shop as "woodworking", I average about 90% woodwork time to 10% SMC and other woodworking-related computer time.

TV is hardly in the picture at all -I average about 2 hours a week watching TV and about 8 hours a week on non-woodworking computer stuff.

Jim Becker
11-13-2004, 1:15 PM
I really can't fill in the survey with any kind of "accuracy". I have multiple computers and "monitor" the forums during the week, even when "working" at the real job and not actively traveling, so it will always appear that I'm living here, despite doing a lot of other things concurrently. Now, if I just do the weekends, the ratio would probably be something like 80-20 in favor of the shop, not counting other activities, such as eating, giving birdie head scratches and doing Dr SWMBO's bidding!

Mark Singer
11-13-2004, 1:29 PM
Jim,

You don't need to take the poll.....your # of posts say it all! Just kidding...you are amazing in all you accomplish ...work is great for the spirit and you seem to have a great balance and miraculous way of getting tons of stuff done!

I really can't fill in the survey with any kind of "accuracy". I have multiple computers and "monitor" the forums during the week, even when "working" at the real job and not actively traveling, so it will always appear that I'm living here, despite doing a lot of other things concurrently. Now, if I just do the weekends, the ratio would probably be something like 80-20 in favor of the shop, not counting other activities, such as eating, giving birdie head scratches and doing Dr SWMBO's bidding!

Mark Singer
11-13-2004, 1:31 PM
Excuse me...I am going to work in the shop now! My daughter just moved and I am making picture frames for her...;)

Tyler Howell
11-13-2004, 1:56 PM
Excuse me...I am going to work in the shop now! My daughter just moved and I am making picture frames for her...;)Don't forget some pictures.
Though it looks like I never leave the creek, I've been getting more quality time in the shop. Between the shop remuttle, and all the multiple home projects that include, wiring, plumbing, tiling, demo and trips to the dump, I'd say most of my home/waking hours are spent with a tool of some sort in my hand. (brooms included)

Jim Becker
11-13-2004, 2:04 PM
You don't need to take the poll.....your # of posts say it all!
Honestly, Mark...I wish that the number of posts that anyone has made over time was not displayed in the threads and each post. I think it takes away from the sense of community, especially for folks new to the forum. I believe in partcipation, period...the degree of which should be at the comfort level of the individual. A flag that denotes a "new" member for a fixed period of time so that folks can easily extend a hearty welcome would a nice thing, and then eveyone is just a "member".

Scott Parks
11-13-2004, 2:50 PM
, I've been getting more quality time in the shop. Between the shop remuttle, and all the multiple home projects that include, wiring, plumbing, tiling, demo and trips to the dump, I'd say most of my home/waking hours are spent with a tool of some sort in my hand. (brooms included)
Tyler, maybe I missed something, but I got the impression you spend more time buying tools!:D

Okay, here's my story.. Shop Time = 1%. I'm a reserve airline pilot based 1000 miles from my shop. So most of my time is spent on "standby" or in a hotel with my laptop computer, web surfing. In fact right now I'm wasting away today in a hotel in Boise, ID. When I do get home 1-2 days a week I have very little time to get anything done. :( That's why it took me 3 months to build the vanity for our master bath. Also, I bought this house with the intent to renovate, so the last year has been a remodeling mess. All my projects are house related. I can't wait to wrap it up so I can do cool projects for fun. I've thought about getting a scrollsaw for the apartment I stay at, but that might be too dusty...

Mike Cutler
11-13-2004, 4:49 PM
I feel compeled to justify my >60% answer. As of late, last 6 months, I've been working on some large projects for LOML. These have been very time consuming in the design, implementation and execution. I've been doing 12er's in the shop on the weekends to play catchup. At one time she actually told me that I should convert the ENTIRE GARAGE into a shop because she saw how much extra work it was for me to work in such a small area.
I'm actually looking forward to reversing the ratio, and since it snowed last night, and has been getting colder I'll really have to hustle to get everything done before it really turns to winter.
By the way, how low in temperature can a wiping varnish be applied? :rolleyes:

Frank Pellow
11-13-2004, 4:53 PM
Frank,
It counts...that is hard work and it is woodworking related...that is an amazing % wow!
I don't think it is amazing when you consider that I am retired and woodworking right now is both my job and my main hobby. I just did a sanity check on the 90% by thinking more about how I spent my time last week.

Woodworking: 66 hours (91.6%)

-workshop construction -52 hours

-woodworking projects (toy box for my grandson and pine chest for my granddaughter) -11 hours

-planning for a Murphy bed in our guest room -3 hours
On-line woodworking reading and writing: 6 hours (8.4%)

-Saw Mill Creek -5 hours

-other -1 hour

Rob Russell
11-13-2004, 4:55 PM
Okay, here's my story.. Shop Time = 1%. I'm a reserve airline pilot based 1000 miles from my shop. So most of my time is spent on "standby" or in a hotel with my laptop computer, web surfing. In fact right now I'm wasting away today in a hotel in Boise, ID. When I do get home 1-2 days a week I have very little time to get anything done.

What about a small type of project that you could take with you, like carving. I know that implies sharp objects, but I'd think you could check those through.

Rob Russell
11-13-2004, 4:58 PM
My free time for at least 1/2 a year has been tied up working on my Dad's place. Now that it's winter, I'll be getting back to working around the house once I get caught back up at work and accomplish a few things I need to get through there. My wife is going to expect to spend some time with her on the evenings she doesn't work and I'll be working late on the other weekends. Like some others, I won't do "woodworking" when I'm tired, but I've got so much shop cleanup and machine setup to do that I'll be busy for a while.

Brian Austin
11-13-2004, 4:59 PM
Okay, justification time:

Work: 45-60 hours a week but check SMC daily

School: 10-15 hours a week finishing up my Bachelors degree

Dog training: 5-10 hours week, depending on mood

Driving back and forth to work: 10 hours a week (average)

Flying small planes, trying to build time: 2-4 hours a week but varies

Woodworking: somewhere in between all of that, I'm still finishing up the shop interior :rolleyes:

Dan Mages
11-13-2004, 6:39 PM
I consider the carpentry needed to refurbish my house and build my shed as wood working. Why shouldn't it be? It requires the same basic tools, materials and skills. Carpentry just happens to be on a much larger scale. This could make a very interesting thread by itself. Any takers?

I'm currently spending 2/3 of my weekend working on the shed. I try to get in a couple hours every week on other wood working projects.

Dan

Scott Parks
11-13-2004, 6:55 PM
What about a small type of project that you could take with you, like carving. I know that implies sharp objects, but I'd think you could check those through.
My fun projects that have been on hold require machining small parts with a scroll saw and a pen lathe. I've thought about making the peices in the apartment in Denver and bringing them home to assemble... Just can't swing a scrollsaw right now 'cuz there's a new tablesaw comin':D :D :D (to my home shop)

Scott Parks
11-13-2004, 7:02 PM
I consider the carpentry needed to refurbish my house and build my shed as wood working. Why shouldn't it be?
Because its work, that's why! I'm doing the same and can't wait to quit playing with drywall, mud, texture, tile, thinset mortor, paint, dust, insulation, electricity, copper, plumbing, grouting, cleaning messes, landscape, dirt, rocks, concrete, yada yada yada.... But I did buy lots of new toys out of the deal! I'd much rather play with wood... Never again...

Tyler Howell
11-13-2004, 7:10 PM
[QUOTE=Scott Parks]Tyler, maybe I missed something, but I got the impression you spend more time buying tools!:D

Yah Scott! Gotta have the right one......or 2 or 5 or ten. But it is a tool in my hand, including the Credit card.

Chris Padilla
11-13-2004, 10:05 PM
Let's see:

During the work week, I tend to be around computers a lot and so have easy access to the web and thus SMC. Say 10 hrs a day, 5 days a week.

It is VERY rare that I post or even go near a computer during the weekend as that is my shop time/family time/running around time/mostly remodel garage time. So figure 12 hours a weeknd working on the shop.

I also try to work 1-2 hours per workday so call it 8 hours per work week.

So that is 50 hours per 7-day week on SMC and 20 hours per 7-day week working on the shop/projects. :) ...or something like that! :D

Looks like a bit under 30% of the time is ww'ing.... :)

John Miliunas
11-13-2004, 11:17 PM
Were it not for real easy, all day access to SMC at work, I would easily be over th 60%. With all this house stuff, I probably punch in 20+/hrs. just on weekend for those projects! :cool:

Mark Singer
11-14-2004, 1:31 AM
Lots of posts John....lots! I know you are making some great stuff though!

Were it not for real easy, all day access to SMC at work, I would easily be over th 60%. With all this house stuff, I probably punch in 20+/hrs. just on weekend for those projects! :cool:

Glenn Clabo
11-14-2004, 6:48 AM
I work...the paid kind...about 10-12 hours a day. Then...most nights...I come home to partake in another hobby...I cook. That means I get very little shop time during the week. Most of the time is near a computer, we have three at home and I have 2 at work, so SMC is available all the time. Only on weekends do I get much shop time and mostly during the winter months. I guess I just need to retire, eh?

Mark Singer
11-14-2004, 1:04 PM
Glenn,

Or just work a lot less if possible...I am shooting for 3 days a week...it is hard when you are busy..

Christian Aufreiter
11-14-2004, 1:37 PM
To be honest, SMC is not the only woodworking related website I use to browse every day. So overall I definitely spend more time talking and reading about woodworking than performing work.

Regards,

Christian

Glenn Clabo
11-14-2004, 7:54 PM
What I do doesn't allow flexibility. Submarines and her crew work 24/7. I get to go home most days...they don't. I've been doing it for 33 years years now... It still get's the old bones and brain engaged...so a few more and then it's more shop time for me.

Bill Grumbine
11-15-2004, 8:25 AM
Mark, maybe I will skew the results a bit, since I attempt to do this for a living. I spend as much time in the shop as possible, but I am also in the unique position of homeschooling my kids. They are pretty much self propelled on their own computers, but I am always here for guidance and encouragement - sometimes motivation too. Also, I get a lot of my business though participation in the forums in the way of students, so it pays to be as involved as possible. I clicked on the over 60% shop time, but sometimes that varies. I am like Rich also in that I will not work if I am tired. It isn't worth the risk of injuring or killing myself for someones luxury item, and the truth of the matter is, there is very little that goes on in my shop that is required for living (other than my own of course!).

Bill

Greg Mann
11-15-2004, 1:21 PM
Mark,

I think I improved my shop time percentage by a huge margin this weekend alone. :D Big projects tend to skew our normal patterns. There are times, though, when I can log in to SMC, such as lunch, or other snippets of time, that would be impossible or impractical to devote to the shop. Also, some of the education process on the forum will sometimes save me shoptime. When I get insights into how you 'Masters' do things, poppets, for example, then I learn to be more efficient in my own work. I find myself wandering over to the Neander site a little more often, and, after your 'design' post, and all the reaction, I expect to spend more time there. It may be the tools that get us here, but it just might be other stuff that will keep many of us coming back. In the past, I would be more likely to pick up a tool related magazine or book, now I am more likely to pick up something by David Charlesworth. Maybe, in a few months, it will be James Krenov. Come to think of it, I read one of Sam Maloof's books a few months ago.....;)

Greg

Greg

Ted Shrader
11-15-2004, 5:46 PM
John -

That seems about right here too.

Ted