PDA

View Full Version : Disc sander adhesive

Harry Niemann
04-12-2010, 5:45 PM
I have a 12" disc sander with an aluminum disc. Have been buying pressure sensitive discs but they don't seem to stay tight. I have cleaned the disc with solvent before applying but they still want to come loose. Is there a better way? Or is there a better adhesive instead of the PSA?

Tom Welch
04-12-2010, 6:09 PM
Where are you buying your sanding discs from? I have the same problem, (I have been cleaning the aluminun disc also) but then I was getting them from the local Harbor freight store. :o I was thinking the next one I buy I get from Wood Craft or somewhere else and try a qualty product.

Gerry Grzadzinski
04-12-2010, 6:27 PM
Depending on the type of solvent your using, it's very important that there are no traces of it, and that it's thoroughly dry, before applying the disc. I have the opposite problem, when I change discs, I can't get the adhesive off.

Tom Esh
04-12-2010, 6:29 PM
It's the disc adhesive, and there seems to be no end to junk in this category. One batch I got even had it backwards - super sticky adhesive on the platter and the peel off on the disc. What a mess!
Lately I've been buying mine from Lee Valley (Klingspore brand I think) which work like they're supposed to - stay stuck until you want to remove them, with little or no residue.

David DeCristoforo
04-12-2010, 6:47 PM
Get a can of 3M "Super 77" spray adhesive. Spray it on the aluminum disk and let it almost dry. Then stick on your "sticky back" abrasive disk. It will stay on, I promise you. You might need to clean the disk when you change abrasives but a bit of lacquer thinner will take the 3M adhesive right off.

mark kosse
04-12-2010, 7:37 PM
Maybe some denatured alchohol after the solvent. I have some HFT 12" discs that stay on just fine.

If you have the time, clamp a piece of 3/4 plywood on after using the sander the first time for overnight. Makes it hard to get them off after that.

Bruce Wrenn
04-12-2010, 10:21 PM
The adhesive is similar to contact cement. It works best if you apply pressure to complete the bond. If you can get a "J" roller, use it to apply pressure. Second best choice is a piece of dowel, or closet rod, rolled FIRMLY over the surface of the disk. I make my own disks as we have a Klingspor's Woodworking Shop here. Scraps and pieces of sand paper cost me $1.50 a pound. I cut out disks, and use a spray on the back when I'm ready to mount one. My cost per disk is about $0.25 each, including adhesive. Franklin makes a bottle of disk adhesive.