PDA

View Full Version : Kapex Dust Collection?

Eric DeSilva
04-12-2010, 2:35 PM
Anyone with a Kapex able to comment on the dust collection effectiveness of their machine? I'm a little disappointed. Right now, I've got mine plugged into a dedicated little shop vac that turns on when the saw is powered up, and I've got a pair of 4" DC ports around the back of the saw on either side, nestled up to the center column, but pointing forward. (I'm using that formable black plastic stiff pipe from WC, which goes into a 6" -> 2x 4" manifold, then its pretty much a straight shot back to a 2HP cyclone. Maybe I'll take a pic and post it tonight.

I'm still getting sawdust thrown to the front and sides of the saw. For any other saw, I'd say "heck, its an SCMS, its gonna throw some dust," but this isn't the result I'd expect with a Festool. Is there something wrong, or is my experience what others are seeing?

Jeff Monson
04-12-2010, 3:22 PM
Eric,

I have a hard time believing the 90% dust recovery that festool advertises. I have mine hooked up to a ct22, I used the small hose to start with, then upgraded to the larger hose...it is better but I still have a mess after 10 or 15 crosscuts. If you make a slow cut the dc is considerably better, a faster cut is where I notice more dust not being recovered.

I dont feel the dc on the kapex is on par with the rest of their products, but I really like my kapex so I'll deal with some sawdust.

Eric DeSilva
04-12-2010, 3:54 PM
I dont feel the dc on the kapex is on par with the rest of their products, but I really like my kapex so I'll deal with some sawdust.

I actually still like it as a tool--the Kapex has totally changed my view on whether an SCMS can be precision tool--I just wondered if I was doing something stupid or wrong... Maybe cutting slower will help. I also wonder whether I should bring one of my 4" ports around to the front of the saw or something. As far as I know, however, no DC solutions for SCMS/MS address the front of the saw...

Brian Kincaid
04-12-2010, 3:59 PM
I have a hard time believing the 90% dust recovery that festool advertises.

I'm fairly certain I have my DW operating at 90%, but the problem with 90% is the 10% it leaves behind. Much better than none, but still not completely satisfying.

-Brian

Jason White
04-12-2010, 4:18 PM
If used with the 36mm Festool hose and a Festool shop-vac (or other quality vacuum), the dust collection is quite good! Mine is connected to a Festool CT22 vacuum with the suction set on high. I'm quite pleased with it.

Jason

Anyone with a Kapex able to comment on the dust collection effectiveness of their machine? I'm a little disappointed. Right now, I've got mine plugged into a dedicated little shop vac that turns on when the saw is powered up, and I've got a pair of 4" DC ports around the back of the saw on either side, nestled up to the center column, but pointing forward. (I'm using that formable black plastic stiff pipe from WC, which goes into a 6" -> 2x 4" manifold, then its pretty much a straight shot back to a 2HP cyclone. Maybe I'll take a pic and post it tonight.

I'm still getting sawdust thrown to the front and sides of the saw. For any other saw, I'd say "heck, its an SCMS, its gonna throw some dust," but this isn't the result I'd expect with a Festool. Is there something wrong, or is my experience what others are seeing?

Brice Burrell
04-12-2010, 4:28 PM
I'm fairly certain I have my DW operating at 90%, but the problem with 90% is the 10% it leaves behind. Much better than none, but still not completely satisfying.

-Brian

Brian hit the nail on the head. Ten percent doesn't sound like much but after a few cuts it adds up. I'd say the Kapex does collect around 80-90%. If you don't think so make a few cuts without dust collection and see just how much dust the saw produces. Another thing to keep in mind, the 10% left behind from cutting small moldings isn't much, 10% after a few cuts of 8/4" stock, well you get the point.

Eric DeSilva
04-12-2010, 5:21 PM
If used with the 36mm Festool hose and a Festool shop-vac (or other quality vacuum), the dust collection is quite good! Mine is connected to a Festool CT22 vacuum with the suction set on high. I'm quite pleased with it.

Just trying to get a reference on what "quite good" really means. I did have mine hooked up to a CT-22 w/the 36mm hose. Still have the 36mm hose hooked up to it, its just that the other end of the hose goes into a shopvac now (hated moving my CT-22 back and forward, and with a recent shop redo, the shopvac was just sitting there). Alone the shopvac is like what I got with the CT-22. It is better w/the two 4" DC inlets.

Here's a comparison. I can bisect a 4' x 8' sheet of 3/4" ply with my TS-55 hooked to the 22. When I'm done, I feel zero compulsion to sweep the floor. Last night, I trimmed four one foot pieces of 3/4" ply on my Kapex. There was enough stuff all over the floor that I felt like I should have swept the floor (the fact that I didn't because I'm lazy is irrelevant).

Erik Christensen
04-12-2010, 6:08 PM
The Kapex dust collection is never going to be as good as their track saws - but it is still much better than any other SCMS I have seen.

I helped a buddy put up a couple hundred feet of MDF crown molding a few weeks ago - the Kapex was setup in his main hallway the entire time. When done it took < 2 minutes with the CT22 to clean saw and the immediate area - when I did the same thing with my old Delta sidekick MS it took a LOT longer and there was dust everywhere.

Chris Rosenberger
04-12-2010, 7:27 PM
Just trying to get a reference on what "quite good" really means. I did have mine hooked up to a CT-22 w/the 36mm hose. Still have the 36mm hose hooked up to it, its just that the other end of the hose goes into a shopvac now (hated moving my CT-22 back and forward, and with a recent shop redo, the shopvac was just sitting there). Alone the shopvac is like what I got with the CT-22. It is better w/the two 4" DC inlets.

Here's a comparison. I can bisect a 4' x 8' sheet of 3/4" ply with my TS-55 hooked to the 22. When I'm done, I feel zero compulsion to sweep the floor. Last night, I trimmed four one foot pieces of 3/4" ply on my Kapex. There was enough stuff all over the floor that I felt like I should have swept the floor (the fact that I didn't because I'm lazy is irrelevant).

How did you make your cuts?
Did you plunge the saw & then pull it through the wood?

The manual recommends pulling the saw out, plunging the saw & then pushing it through the wood. You get much better dust collection when pushing the the saw through the wood.

Bob Farrell
04-12-2010, 10:21 PM
After using my Kapex for a week, I am very happy with the DC.

It's not as good DC as other Festool stuff, but it's not supposed to be.

The thing I think is great is that it doesn't throw dust long distances. In my limited experience, the dust that isn't collected is the stuff that rests in the immediate area of the saw. The stuff that would normally get thrown all over (and into the air) is collected by the vac.

The Kapex is an awesome machine.

Eric DeSilva
04-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Here's a pic of the set up--the stand is temporary. Apologize for the cruddy iPhone photo. Seems like this ought to be effective.

At the same time, it doesn't sound like the results I'm getting are that much different from everyone else.

Matt Winterowd
04-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Comparing with other Festool stuff isn't really fair. Collecting dust off of a SCMS is really hard with so much exposed blade to fling dust around. Comparing to other SCMS DC on the Kapex is outstanding..

Jason White
04-13-2010, 3:23 PM
It's quite good for a portable miter saw connected to a shop-vac.

If the saw will live in a shop permanently, then I'd definitely build in some additional dust collection behind and underneath the saw. That's what I'm planning for mine, anyway...

Jason

Chris Rosenberger
04-13-2010, 3:45 PM
Below are pictures of a recent job. I cut all the the paneling, skirt boards, treads & risers with the Kapex. You can see how little sawdust is in the hood & on the floor in front of the CT33. I had swept the floor before I took the picture, but I did not sweep between the vac & the hose.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o303/chrisrosenb/20100319_31A.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o303/chrisrosenb/20100319_8A.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o303/chrisrosenb/20100319_32A.jpg

Callan Campbell
04-13-2010, 4:01 PM
Eric, it's way better than my 12" Milwaukee, and what you're describing seems about normal for the short time that I've been allowed to demo a Kapex at my local dealer. They're running a 36mm hose and their CT-33 hooked to it, area around the saw is fairly good for the floor. Area on the saw base is where most everything ends up. I'm guessing material being cut adds alot to the mix, like MDF versus solid wood, vs plywood. And speed of cut like others have said. Short of mounting a Kapex on a downdraft sanding table while having it hooked up to a CT-22 or 33[heyyy, that's an idea:p:p:p], I'm not sure how much better it gets for the regular user.