PDA

View Full Version : First Time Pen turner

Steve Roxberg
11-13-2004, 8:39 AM
Got the bug at the TAT at the Woodcraft on Thursday.

I bought a mandrel 7mm, glue they recommended, and three 7mm pen kits.

Now what,

Do I need something to square the barrel?

Any other tips or sites I should go read?

Michael Stafford
11-13-2004, 9:07 AM
Steve, there are websites that are devoted solely to pen turning. If I tell you though, I would have to kill you. I am not sure if I will get in trouble or not but try penturners.org. Lots of good info. Of course there are just as many sources of good info here. We seem to have some wonderful pen turners- Ken Salisbury, Tom Mullane, Daniel Yourdan, Earl Reid et al...

Randy Meijer
11-13-2004, 9:39 AM
Steve:

I think there is some sort of a rule about not posting links. So I will PM you with the information and then go back and read the rule to see what i can and cannot post. This is a pretty good sight th get you introduced to making pens. i've run across one that is better buit can't remember which it is. I'm a new pen turner, too so I understand exactly what you are going through.

If you have any questions about getting started, holler at me. I've just spent the last month reading, net surfing, and studying vendors to acquire the basic info that a new pen turner needs. I've only built a coulpe of pens so i'm not an expert crafter; but can help you stumble through the introductory process as I just done it myself.:D

Randy

Added: Apparently this link is legal.
http://www.woodturnerruss.com/Pen10.html

Dave Crabbs
11-13-2004, 9:57 AM
Got the bug at the TAT at the Woodcraft on Thursday.

I bought a mandrel 7mm, glue they recommended, and three 7mm pen kits.

Now what,

Do I need something to square the barrel?

Any other tips or sites I should go read?
Steve
What I use to square my glued up pen blanks is a pen mill. They come in different sizes so make sure it is for the kits you have. I use my cordless drill to turn the mill and it squares the blank to the brass tube. I will mill each end of the blank till I see a shiney brass ring from the tube. I got mine at woodcraft when I bought my turning supplies. It is sometimes also called a barrel trimmer. Another thing you will need is some way to press the pen parts together some turners use a clamp, some use thier drill press with a hardwood dowel or bolt chucked into it, I use a pen press.

Hope this helps you,
Dave

Here is a picture of a Pen Mill
http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/assets/product_images/web1615.jpg

Randy Meijer
11-13-2004, 10:26 AM
A barrel trimmer with one pilot reamer for one pen size will run you $15-$20. The bigger pens require bigger pilots at $6-$7 per pilot. PSI sells a barrel trimmer package with all of the pilots for $35 and I got mine on sale for $29.