PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove rust fron a jointer table?

dennis thompson
04-12-2010, 1:51 PM
I bought a used grizzly jointer & it has some light rust on the tables. What would you suggest is the best wayto remove the rust?

Thanks
Dennis

Neil Brooks
04-12-2010, 1:57 PM
I'm a big fan of the green Scotch-brite pads and WD-40.

I've also heard that Evapo-Rust (http://www.evapo-rust.com/) is the shizzle, but ... no 1st-hand experience.

Whatever you do ... use either Boeshield T-9, WD-40, or Paste Wax, once it's all cleaned up, to KEEP it rust free.

jon devries
04-12-2010, 2:37 PM
I use bar keepers friend.

I learnt that after using some of the acidy stuff which left some black smearing.

Lee Schierer
04-12-2010, 2:44 PM
I'm a big fan of the green Scotch-brite pads and WD-40.

I've also heard that Evapo-Rust (http://www.evapo-rust.com/) is the shizzle, but ... no 1st-hand experience.

Whatever you do ... use either Boeshield T-9, WD-40, or Paste Wax, once it's all cleaned up, to KEEP it rust free.

Just add a pad sander to the above formula and the job is a bit messier, but lots faster.

Jim Chan
04-12-2010, 3:02 PM
Evaporust works great. It has to sit for 30-min for light rust, or over night for heavier rust, so make sure the table is level otherwise it'll just be dripping on the floor. It also helps to scrub the table while the evaporust stuff is doing it's thing.

I've also just done it using the same wetdry sandpaper I used to use sharpening plane irons, mounted on a flat sanding block. Just make sure to hit the entire table evenly.

As mentioned earlier, make sure to follow up with some sort of rust preventer afterwards. I like pastewax the best. The first couple of weeks you might want to wax it more often to build up a good coating.

Aaron Wingert
04-12-2010, 4:09 PM
I've tried a few products as well as a couple of the aforementioned ones and I think TopSaver is unbeatable for getting clean and bright cast iron surfaces. The stuff is magic when combined with a synthetic steel wool pad and some elbow grease. I use paste wax to keep my tools rust-free.

Jason White
04-12-2010, 4:25 PM
Mineral spirits and a green Scotch-Brite pad. Wipe off the excess with paper towels.

Jason

I bought a used grizzly jointer & it has some light rust on the tables. What would you suggest is the best wayto remove the rust?

Thanks
Dennis

Joe Chritz
04-12-2010, 4:57 PM
One elbow and one can of grease. Go to town, wash rinse repeat.

Joe

glenn bradley
04-12-2010, 5:01 PM
Like Lee, I have an old Makita sander that I clamp a syntho pad onto. I pour a bit of mineral spirits on the surface and go at it like I am rough sanding a tabletop or some such. I take care of any deep shadows with Boeshield Rust Free but read the directions; it is caustic. I have heard nothing but good about Bartender's Friend but have not used it myself yet.

Keith Weber
04-12-2010, 5:36 PM
The method I use if there's a decent amount of rusting:

Scrape the top down with those one-sided razor blades (you can buy them by the 100-pack at the Big Box Hardware stores.) They won't scratch your cast iron top at all if you keep them flat. This step saves a lot of elbow grease and makes the next step a little less messy.

Next I go at it with a Scotch-Brite pad and some WD-40 as a lubricant. Put some muscle behind it. Wipe it clean with paper towels.

Next, chemically kill the rust. I use Boeshield Rust-Free. I think that it contains phosphoric acid. Any rust remaining will turn black and wipe off. Work it in with another Scotch-Brite pad. Wipe with paper towels.

Depending on what it looks like now, I may or may not give it another light go-over with the WD-40, Scotch-Brite pad, and paper towels.

Final application of Paste Wax.

No more rust, and the surface is smooth and slick!

Keith

Todd Reinbold
04-12-2010, 8:01 PM
another vote for "Bar Keepers Friend". You can get it at just about any grocery store in the soap aisle, near the cleansers.

Matthew Bobek
04-12-2010, 8:34 PM
I've used topsaver to success with my table saw, but that's usually for lighter ammounts of rust. Depending on the severity, the other methods suggested might work better. :)

Russell Johnson
04-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Based on a suggestion of a fellow woodworker I've used The Works toilet bowl cleaner. Scrap with razor blade soak for 30 min. Can't beat it for only about a buck from Walmart.

dennis thompson
04-13-2010, 6:21 AM
Thanks for all the advice on removing rust. Since I had them all on hand, I used a combination of a scotch brite pad,some WD-40 & Barkeeper's Friend & it came out very nice. Next I'll wax it with some paste wax I already have.
Thanks
Dennis

Robert gree
04-13-2010, 6:50 AM
Any way to remove the staining (looks like dark grey or black spoltches) after removal of surface rust? Would love to have nice shiny top again

Jim Heffner
04-16-2010, 1:03 AM
If the rust is very light, try this...I did and it works well. Take your ROS, with a 120 or 150 grit disc installed, spray on a good coat of WD-40 and lightly sand the rust away. You will need a few good clean rags to ocasionally
wipe off the slurry left behind and to check your progress. After you are done, clean up and give it a couple of good coats of Johnson's or Minwax
paste wax and buff it out....will look almost brand new when done. I have to do the cast iron tops in my shop 1 or 2 times a year because of the humidity
and this is what I do to mine!

Harold Burrell
04-16-2010, 7:52 AM
I just used some PB Blaster and steel wool on something and it worked great! I've tried WD40 in the past, but Blaster worked way better.