PDA

View Full Version : This Weekends Yard sales

James Davis
04-12-2010, 1:14 PM
SWMBO and myself went out yard saleing yesterday and came home with a little more than we left home with. 5 of the planes in the picture were bought from a classified ad on another site a couple of weeks ago, everything else is from this weekend. http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/100_1547.jpg

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/100_15441.jpg

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/100_15421.jpg

There are 28 auger bits, 6 square Nut drivers that fit into a brace, 2 North Brothers "Yankee" screwdrivers, 1 Stanley "Yankee" screwdriver, 1 Millers Falls "Yankee" screwdriver, 1 German "Yankee screwdriver, A 4" machinist vice, a never used NAPA Torque wrench, 2 Marples chisels, 2 Craftsman socket chisels, a small chain binder, and numerous other misc. tools. I haven't felt this good after a day of yard saleing in a long time.

Thanks for Looking

Adam Woznicki
04-12-2010, 2:52 PM
Holy........... nice haul!

Strangely enough I'm most drawn to that vice. I really want to replace the harbor freight p.o.s. here at work.

What are those square brace bits in the lower left hand corner?

George Sanders
04-12-2010, 5:11 PM
Nice haul. Hope you got a good deal on all that stuff. That looks like a nice low angle block plane in the last pic.

Mike Olson
04-12-2010, 5:29 PM
HUUUGE YOU SUCK!!! 3 weeks worth of estate sale shopping and all i found was one socket chisel with a broken handle...

Are those doweling bits for an auger, or threader, or ?

Congrats on the huge find.

James Davis
04-12-2010, 11:20 PM
They are square nut drivers. I have never seen any before. They fit the old square nuts and lag bolts and deliver a huge amount of torque. I will take better pics tomorrow and post them. I always look and just got lucky this weekend.

george wilson
04-12-2010, 11:32 PM
That vise may be a HF available model. It swivels vertically so you can use either of 2 jaw types.

Jim Koepke
04-12-2010, 11:38 PM
Gee, I thought I had it bad. Looks like you got the bug more than me.

Fortunately for my wallet I live a few miles from civilization and enjoy my hermit life.

jim

Don Jarvie
04-13-2010, 2:13 PM
A flea market I frequent in my area always has plently of the Yankee screwdrivers and auger bits.

Matt Ranum
04-13-2010, 6:17 PM
I'm curious. When do you guys find your best deals, a sale advertising tools or ones that don't say anything about tools?:confused:

Greg Wease
04-14-2010, 9:17 PM
I bought a box full of planes and parts for $150 at a tool swap meet this weekend containing 9 planes, a drawknife, a brace, a saw jointer, etc. The planes are a Stanley #55 with the 4 boxes of cutters, a Bailey #7 Type 11, a Bailey #5 Type 18, a Stanley #78 (with fence), a Sargent transitional #3408 (with horseshoe lateral), plus 4 block planes. I'm in the process of cleaning/derusting these gems now. I hope to put these to work soon.

A friend recently answered an ad on Craig's list for a bandsaw which turned out to be overpriced. While there he saw a box containing a complete Stanley #45--and bought it for $2! The deals are out there but are not easy to find.

Joe Mioux
04-14-2010, 9:27 PM
I always like reading threads that start out "SWMBO and ..........." followed by photographically appropriate SMC pictures. ;)

Michael Titus
04-15-2010, 3:29 PM
That's a year's worth of yard sales for me. I live in an area with lots of antique dealers who swoop in at the crack of dawn, snap up all the tools, and then mark them up a few hundred percent.

Terry Hatfield
04-15-2010, 10:39 PM
I wouldn't find that much good stuff here in 20 years of yard sales.