PDA

View Full Version : Finish for Maple Kitchen Cabinets?

Richard McComas
11-13-2004, 3:03 AM
I’ll soon be starting a set of kitchen cabinet. Client wants Melamine interiors; Maple face frames and the slab doors will be Maple veneer plywood. My question is about what finish to use. The client has very strongly voiced her choice of a finish that will not yellow or give that amber tone you get with a poly or varnish.

Does this mean my only choice is going to be a water based finish? I could do NC Lacquer but I never felt it’s sturdy enough for kitchen cabinets.

Brian Hale
11-13-2004, 6:16 AM
Have you considered catalized NC lacquer? It's tuff enough for sure and i believe thats what the big manufacturers use unless forced to WB lacquer.

Brian

Roger Kirkpatrick
11-13-2004, 12:39 PM
I use conversion varnish on all kitchens I build. Very durable, dries fast and will build a excellent finish in just 2 coats. It will not yellow.

Scott Parks
11-13-2004, 2:28 PM
Three years ago I used Target Coatings waterbase poly for a kitchen table. Today, it is still tough as nails, and crystal clear! I'll swear by this stuff! Check them out... Just finished a maple vanity with it and still love it...

Jim Becker
11-13-2004, 3:49 PM
Target also as some new water based products that promise pre-cat durability in a safer, easier to clean up format. Non-yellowing, too...or amber if that's what you want.

Richard McComas
11-14-2004, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the replies. I been thinking of trying a water based product for a long time now (change seens hard for me these days, hate the learning curve ) anyway Target Coatings and Fuhr's are the two brands that I've read most about, any comments on the different brands would be appreciated.