PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using an induction cooktop?

Bob Vavricka
04-12-2010, 11:01 AM
I've been looking at induction cooktops and would like to hear feedback from anyone that has one. Likes/dislikes.
I know we would have to buy some new cookware because most of mine failed the magnet test. I have looked at reviews online and I am aware of some of the advantages/disadvantages, but would like to hear what someone who actually owns one has to say.

Dan Mages
04-12-2010, 4:40 PM
I have used a portable, single burner induction cooktop in a commercial setting. They work nicely, heat quickly, but does not directly heat the cooktop. The biggest downside is that it only works with magnetic cookware. This will eliminate the use of some of the really nice aluminum cookware and any cooktop friendly ceramic or glass cookware. I have heard of people using a cast iron skillet as a heat transfer surface, but it is not very reliable.

Dan

Shawn Pixley
04-12-2010, 7:19 PM
Former house Had a high end induction cooktop. Unfortunately, we had mostly stainless steel cookware. We did set ourselves up with the induction top / cookware combo. It worked okay.

Frankly, I prefer gas for cooktops, electric for Oven (combo with convection & microwave), and Charcoal for grill. Call me particular.

Mitchell Andrus
04-12-2010, 7:20 PM
Stay away, it's a gimmick. I'm pretty sure the energy savings are negligible and the PITA factor isn't worth the trouble. Options for cookware are few. Our new house in NC has one (not for long) and the home inspector though it was on the fritz. We'd have to toss about $1,800.00 of stainless and aluminum pots and pans to keep it.

Having said that, the one iron pan I bought so I could at least boil water and/or make soup while working on the place does heat.

Pat Germain
04-12-2010, 7:35 PM
Frankly, I prefer gas for cooktops, electric for Oven (combo with convection & microwave), and Charcoal for grill. Call me particular.

Actually, most people who are serious about cooking prefer gas burners and electric ovens. I think induction cooktops are for people who don't really cook. They look modern and they are easy to clean. Therefore, they are popular (with people who don't cook much).

Good cookware is either aluminum or aluminum clad in stainless steel. So, what do you use on an induction cooktop? The stuff that's in aisle nine at Wal-Mart?

Mike Archambeau
04-12-2010, 9:27 PM
+1 on the gas cooktop. We use LPG, and love the control you get with real fire. A good LeCreuset cast iron pot and a gas flame is a cooks delight. I have a pot of stew going right now......oh it smells so good! Time to go and make the dumplings:p

Dan Mages
04-12-2010, 9:42 PM
One thing I forgot to mention is that the induction burner I used had a high pitched buzz to it. I dont know if they are all like this, but it was quite annoying after a while.

Ben Franz
04-16-2010, 7:39 PM
Induction was the next big thing for commercial kitchens a few years ago - predicted to replace gas in new restaurants. Don't hear as much about it now. I don't think the reality matches the hype and the technology isn't mature. I looked into it for a couple of clients and recommended a pass. My $0.02 - YMMV.

Van Huskey
04-17-2010, 12:33 AM
Gas cooktop and electric oven (with convection) is the only way to go particularly if you (or someone in your house) likes to cook.

Bob Vavricka
04-17-2010, 9:22 AM
Thanks for the replies. I like to cook and do almost all of the cooking at our house. I grew up using natural gas both at home and in the restaurant my uncle owned. However my wife and I have always owned an electric stove. We have a kitchen remodel planned in the future and I was planning to go with a gas stovetop. I didn't know much about induction, but the local HD having one that had a slight ding on the trim ring on sale for half price, got me checking into induction. They make it sound even better than gas, but I think from the replies I got, it is mostly hype. I didn't realize until I checked mine, that the stainless steel cookware I have won't attract a magnet, which is a requirement for using with an induction cooktop. I guess this is a long reply to say thanks for the replies.
Bob V.

Anthony Scira
04-17-2010, 11:37 AM
You mean you guys use stuff other than Cast Iron ?

Pat Germain
04-17-2010, 6:13 PM
You mean you guys use stuff other than Cast Iron ?

I love my cast iron pan! Nothing browns better. I can get it rocket hot and don't have to worry about it warping or ruining a non-stick finish.

Alas, it's not the best for cooking eggs or anything with tomatoes in it. Although, a cast iron pan can be used to cook eggs after it's old and well seasoned. Mine is only a few years old and I'm afraid the eggs would stick.

Brian Elfert
04-17-2010, 6:39 PM
$1800 for cookware? Somebody must really like cooking.

I'm looking at induction cooking for my bus conversion (motorhome) as I don't have propane in my bus conversion. I think it will work okay for occasional use.

I have a gas stove at home with a gas oven. I really like the gas burners, but hate the gas oven. I should have gone dual fuel with an electric oven. The oven has never really baked right since new.

Pat Germain
04-18-2010, 12:25 AM
$1800 for cookware? Somebody must really like cooking.

I can understand the sticker shock. But if you buy very good quality cookware like All-Clad or Calphalon, it will literally last a lifetime. Shoot, you can hand that stuff down to your kids and grandkids. I bought a set of Calphalon hard anodized pots and pans over fifteen years ago. They're still good as new. Like many tools, they're hard to appreciate unless you've used them. Cheaper cookware can't go into the oven, the handles tend to loosen and come off and they don't heat evenly.

I'm still jonesing for a few All-Clad pans and a nice Dutch Oven.

Jeffrey Makiel
04-18-2010, 5:15 PM
Mine is only a few years old and I'm afraid the eggs would stick.

Pat...just float them babies over 1/4" deep puddle of butter. :)

-Jeff :)

Steve knight
04-19-2010, 12:59 AM
Calphalon is nothing thrilling. nice heavy aluminum. but the anodizing is not that durable. they tend to warp and I have loose handles on one or two. I have one pan that is down to only aluminum.
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/knighttoolworks/posting/e89e2aaa.jpg
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/knighttoolworks/posting/01e6799b.jpg

Jim Terrill
04-19-2010, 1:06 AM
Induction was the next big thing for commercial kitchens a few years ago - predicted to replace gas in new restaurants. Don't hear as much about it now. I don't think the reality matches the hype and the technology isn't mature. I looked into it for a couple of clients and recommended a pass. My $0.02 - YMMV.

From what I heard, it was a big thing for commercial settings because of the safety factor. Pan on- heat, pan off, no hot burner. From what I was told, it reduced insurance costs a lot, but it required special cookware and the units themselves cost a lot. Then again one worker's comp claim for a burned hand from a burner that looked cool isn't cheap either, so I can see why the ins comps were pushing it.

Ben Franz
04-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Jim-

You may be right about the insurance companies. I think they also want knives replaced with oscillating food saws and hammers banned from construction work.

Maybe I'm just a cranky old man but it seems like there is an assumption of reasonable risk in many jobs and proper training and work habits are the best way to manage those risks. That said, it won't be too long before Sawstop equivalent blade brakes are required on all new machines.

Mike Henderson
04-19-2010, 11:29 AM
I love my cast iron pan! Nothing browns better. I can get it rocket hot and don't have to worry about it warping or ruining a non-stick finish.

Alas, they will break. By mistake I left a cast iron skillet on a burner with nothing in it and it cracked when it got hot (of course, it got very hot).

Mike

Rod Sheridan
04-19-2010, 11:47 AM
I can understand the sticker shock. But if you buy very good quality cookware like All-Clad or Calphalon, it will literally last a lifetime. Shoot, you can hand that stuff down to your kids and grandkids. I bought a set of Calphalon hard anodized pots and pans over fifteen years ago. They're still good as new. Like many tools, they're hard to appreciate unless you've used them. Cheaper cookware can't go into the oven, the handles tend to loosen and come off and they don't heat evenly.

I'm still jonesing for a few All-Clad pans and a nice Dutch Oven.

Absolutely agree, we have good stainless/copper sandwich construction cookware that was around $2K 20 years ago.

Money well spent, it works as well now as it did then, except for one broken handle at about year 15 that was a free replacement from the manufacturer.

Regards, Rod.

Paul Atkins
04-19-2010, 3:12 PM
Another vote here for All-Clad, Le Crueset, and Wustoff. Oh yeah, and gas.

Pat Germain
04-19-2010, 3:25 PM
From what I heard, it was a big thing for commercial settings because of the safety factor. Pan on- heat, pan off, no hot burner. From what I was told, it reduced insurance costs a lot, but it required special cookware and the units themselves cost a lot. Then again one worker's comp claim for a burned hand from a burner that looked cool isn't cheap either, so I can see why the ins comps were pushing it.

That doesn't seem practical. I'm thinking it's much more likely kitchen staff would be burned by hot pans, hot oil or hot water. How often does someone actually get burned by the flame itself?

Of course, that doesn't mean the insurance companies still thought induction stovetops would reduce risk. I'm sure it looked good on paper.

Stephen Tashiro
04-19-2010, 8:16 PM
Are there limitations on what kind of jewelry people can wear near induction cooktops? - no steel nose rings, I assume.

Glen Butler
04-19-2010, 9:46 PM
Pat...just float them babies over 1/4" deep puddle of butter. :)

-Jeff :)

Mmm . . . butter. I got a kick out of this. With a last name Butler and liking butter so much, you can guess what people call me.

Russ Filtz
04-20-2010, 9:03 AM
I still have some Calphalon stuff from years ago, but i don't trust it anymore after the purported Alzheimer's link. Cast iron and stainless is where it's at. No non-stick for me! Some of the newer ceramic based coatings might be worth checking out, but I like using metal utensils with abandon!

Check out some of the Cuisinart stuff. Pretty decent stainless and not as pricey as Al-Clad, etc. Amazon has tons of induction ready cookware and it's not really that expensive. pretty much the same as regular stainless.

Ben Franz
04-20-2010, 11:56 AM
Check out some of the Cuisinart stuff. Pretty decent stainless and not as pricey as Al-Clad, etc.

+1 on the Cuisinart cookware. I have several pieces of the Multi-Clad line. The construction is SS clad aluminum and the aluminum extends up the sides of all pans rather than just a disc in the bottom. This is the same as All-Clad but around 50% of the cost. To be fair, Cook's Illustrated did not rate the Cuisinart as high as All-Clad when side by side testing was done but I've been delighted with it for the last 7 years or so. Cuisinart also makes a lower end product that has aluminum at the bottom only - not worth buying IMO.

I use generic non-stick (Smart & Final, etc.) for some things (eggs) but my wife likes to blast our non-stick with too much heat so it does deteriorate over time. I decided replacement pans were cheaper than divorce lawyers so ......

My favorite pans are 35-40 year old cast iron skillets. I don't grill steaks anymore - just sear on rocket hot CI with S & P. CI is good stuff - in the kitchen as well as the shop!

Pat Germain
04-20-2010, 2:42 PM
I still have some Calphalon stuff from years ago, but i don't trust it anymore after the purported Alzheimer's link.

FYI, the study which suggested a link between aluminum and Alzheimer's was revealed to be flawed and completely bogus. There is no link between aluminum and Alzheimer's

Steve knight
04-20-2010, 3:37 PM
Plus f you ever ate one tums you ate 100 times more aluminum then you could ever get from a pan.

Ed Harrow
04-20-2010, 9:53 PM
...Shoot, you can hand that stuff down to your kids and grandkids. ....

Yup, just like my Griswold fry pans (and waffle iron :D)! Thank you, Nannie (and Mum)!

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g65/wlgtoo/Spring%20Lane/food%20and%20cooking/DSC_0020.jpg

John Harden
04-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Actually, most people who are serious about cooking prefer gas burners and electric ovens. I think induction cooktops are for people who don't really cook. They look modern and they are easy to clean. Therefore, they are popular (with people who don't cook much).

Good cookware is either aluminum or aluminum clad in stainless steel. So, what do you use on an induction cooktop? The stuff that's in aisle nine at Wal-Mart?

I agree with you but would add one point.

If you want just about the finest cookware made, get stainless lined copper pots from Falk culinair.

http://www.falkculinair.com/

That's all I use and I fortunately bought them years ago when they were about 1/2 the cost that they are now.

These are not aluminum or stainless pots with a thin copper coating. They are made from solid copper over 2 mil thick with a paper thin stainless coating bonded to the interior.

Let's just say they're the cat's meow!!!! :D Pure cooking bliss.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-21-2010, 6:44 PM
they work very well if you have three phase power.
Otherwise not much advantage