PDA

View Full Version : First Woodcraft Visit

Tullie Templet
04-11-2010, 10:42 PM
I visited my first woodworking shop Friday. Woodcraft in Houston TX. We don't have any WW shop around my area that I am aware of so this was my first experience and it was awesome. I was like a kid in a candy store. Only problem was I didn't have enough money :D. My 5 year old and I were treated great by and older man named THOM I think. He played with my son and kept him occupied with a wooden horse while I shopped. Seeing all this stuff on the internet is good but there is nothing like walking around in a store and putting your hands on it. It was a great experience and I will go back next year when Supercross is back in Houston. Sorry to babble but i just wanted to share this with people that might care :). Thanks for listening.

Keith Westfall
04-11-2010, 11:31 PM
If only our wives understood the draw and attraction...:D

William Duffer
04-11-2010, 11:50 PM
I went to the one in Addison/Dallas Texas late last month, I always enjoy going into WW stores. Most of the people are real nice and they each usually have their own nitch they want to talk to you about. Glad you had fun, I spent an hour in there and came out with a Dove tail saw. It is like my wife in a Coach store, but she comes out with a scarf.

Bill

Ken Fitzgerald
04-11-2010, 11:51 PM
Tullie,

I was in that store a few weeks ago while visiting in Houston. I was also in a Rockler there too.

Nothing beats seeing it...and handling it. Makes decisions a lot easier.

Like you nothing local. I have to drive 110 miles to the nearest Woodcraft....265 miles to the next closest one.

William Duffer
04-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Take her to a Coach or Prada store and tell her she can look but not buy. She'll understand.

Tullie Templet
04-12-2010, 12:43 AM
There is a Rockler there also:eek:. Didn't even think to check.:mad: Oh well guess I'll check it out next year. William I still don't think they would understand LOL !!!!

Van Huskey
04-12-2010, 2:13 AM
There is a Rockler there also:eek:. Didn't even think to check.:mad: Oh well guess I'll check it out next year. William I still don't think they would understand LOL !!!!

Yep, if you went to the one in South Houston the Rockler is pretty close to it, if it was the one up near Spring it is about a 30 min drive but some of the drive gets you back closer to Louisiana anyway. Funny enough I was there on Thursday, we almost ran into each other which would be funny if we met the first time 300 miles from home!

Matthew Bobek
04-12-2010, 10:59 AM
My local Woodcraft and Rockler are always great to go into especially when you're looking for a specific item and want to actually see and handle it. I guess I've taken for granted having each one within about thirty minutes of me and I usually stop when I'm near, even if it's just to look for a minute. :)

Dave Sharpe
04-12-2010, 11:05 AM
I live on an island in Puget sound and don't get out much (by choice), but a trip to Seattle ALWAYS includes a trip to Woodcraft and Rockler, as well as a Borders or Barnes & Noble. I call it "doing the stations of the cross". Last Friday I had to take my brother to the airport, so it was a perfect opportunity to stock up on things..... It was worth the 90 minute wait to get back on the ferry headed home - talk about Friday traffic!

Jim Rimmer
04-12-2010, 1:04 PM
I was in the Houston WC store on Saturday. Drove over to get a flush cut saw they had on sale for $21. I did get out for under $100 ($99.56). Great folks there, always willing to help and free with advice. No pressure to buy - look as long as you like.

Todd Hyman
04-12-2010, 1:20 PM
My local Woodcraft and Rockler are always great to go into especially when you're looking for a specific item and want to actually see and handle it. I guess I've taken for granted having each one within about thirty minutes of me and I usually stop when I'm near, even if it's just to look for a minute. :)

I second the thought. Very fortunate to have both here as well as Highland Woodworking.

Raymond Fries
04-12-2010, 1:21 PM
I can drive past a Woodcraft on my way home and it is only about 15 minutes to a local Oak Tree. I wish we had a Rockler but the closest one is about 100 miles from me.

I also agree that there is nothing like putting your hands on before you buy.

Got some cash and want to have one in your area? Maybe you should check out the franchise options if that sort of thing interests you.

Tullie Templet
04-12-2010, 5:38 PM
Van that would have been pretty funny to meet that way.

Raymond that would be awesome to open one here but unfortunantely I am not in the financial situation to do something like that now. Plus I am just a beginner WW and don't feel like I have enough knowledge just yet for that. But hey, maybe in another 15 years:rolleyes:. Maybe we could talk Van into it LOL !!!

Van Huskey
04-12-2010, 6:42 PM
There is at least one person that has posted here that they have discussed it with corporate WC not about them having a store but why there is not one here, they came to the conclusion we won't be getting one but I don't remember all the resoning.

I must admit IF I had the money I wouldn't think of opening a WC for two reasons:

1. I have had businesses related to my hobbies in the past, I no longer do those hobbies, it took all the fun out of them for me.

2. The overhead required by a WC franchise will eat an owner alive in a small/medium sized market. There are a couple of WC's that seem to be doing well in medium sized markets but I just wouldn't want to try to make it work in BR/NOLA.

Tullie Templet
04-13-2010, 1:26 PM
I don't know if I would want my own business anyways. Too much time to me. And Van I agree, it is no longer a hobby but a job. I had a good friend that opened a motocross shop. He has been around motorcycles all his life and he opened a business. Well about three years later he hated working on them and running that shop but he was fortunate to get out before he got turned off from motorcycles all together. That made up my mind about owning a business.

Bill White
04-13-2010, 4:02 PM
I second the thought. Very fortunate to have both here as well as Highland Woodworking.
Man, I miss Highland (I still have to say Highland Hardware). :p
Bill