PDA

View Full Version : Three Turnings

Roland Martin
04-11-2010, 9:05 PM
Built a new donut chuck for my new 1642. What a joy! Wish I had more time to play.
These are 3 recent turnings, all simple, still learning.
The plate is a piece of unusually figured 8/4 Spanish cedar I put aside from a job, 13 1/2" x 1 3/4"
The potpouri bowl is one of the pieces of ambrosia maple I got from Mike Smith for inexpensive practicing, 5" x 2 1/2"
The cherry bowl is a request from my daughter, a candy bowl for her desk. 7 1/2" x 2 3/4".
Comments & critiques always welcome. Thanks for looking.

Donny Lawson
04-11-2010, 9:10 PM
I think you done a great job on those.Keep up the good work.
Donny

Rich Aldrich
04-11-2010, 9:24 PM
Really nice.

Steve Schlumpf
04-11-2010, 9:27 PM
Very nice work on everything Roland! For me ... the Spanish Cedar steals the show! Beautiful wood!

Congrats on building your donut chuck - you will love it!

Have fun! Looking forward to seeing what's next!

David E Keller
04-11-2010, 9:43 PM
Congrats on the donut chuck... I made on this weekend as well, and I'll post some photos of a bowl I finished with it sometime this week.

Very nice turnings... I agree with Steve about the Spanish cedar. Fantastic figure!

Baxter Smith
04-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Very nice Roland. I'm sure that lathe is a pleasure to use. The cedar is very pretty. Just curious, what was it left over from?

Curt Fuller
04-11-2010, 10:25 PM
All three are beautiful. I love the figure in the spanish cedar.

James Roberts
04-11-2010, 10:32 PM
Nice work on all three, Roland. Love the figure in the plate.

Roland Martin
04-11-2010, 10:47 PM
Thank you all.
Baxter, Last spring I ordered 6 or 700 board feet of varying thicknesses of Spanish Cedar for a 3-season porch, screen/storm panels, doors, etc., for a house on the lake in Bridgton. Generally, Spanish Cedar is fairly "Blah" in my opinion, and really smells bad when machining. There was one 8/4 x 15" x 10' board that was figured like this plate, from end to end, so I saved it for some future project. It's now closer to 8' long:).

Jim Slovik
04-12-2010, 1:14 AM
Roland,
Great job on all of them. The Spanish Cedar has great character but I like the others too.
Jim

John Keeton
04-12-2010, 5:54 AM
Roland, nice work on all of them, but as others have noted, the Spanish Cedar certainly catches one's eye!! The cherry bowl is nice as well. I like the pot pourri dish, too, but the pics don't seem to do it justice.

I use my donut chuck a lot, but I need to get one of those MT spindle inserts for my tailstock so I can really get the piece centered well.

Roland Martin
04-12-2010, 6:54 AM
John, it doesn't seem to take very long before one reallizes a donut chuck is needed, what a help that is. Centering the piece perfectly does take some patience, but my prior alternatives required a good amount more patience:).
I certainly reallize the pictures are less than good, not sure when I'll have time to build a photo tent, but I will. They just don't make days long enough to get everything done:eek:.
Nonetheless, this is a fantastic journey through the money-sucking vortex, thanks to the great people on SMC to learn & share with!

Jeff Nicol
04-12-2010, 7:42 AM
Roland, Every time I read your name I think of the professional fisherman! But it looks like you are on your way to a professional turner! I love the waves of grain in the plate, it would be something to have some large blocks of that! You daughter should be happy with the "Sweet" bowl for her sweets!

Jeff

Doug W Swanson
04-12-2010, 7:57 AM
Those are some very nice pieces, Roland.

The figure in the platter is beautiful but the others are no slouches.

Excellent job.

Doug

Tony De Masi
04-12-2010, 3:05 PM
Very nicely done Roland. I am usually quite partial to cherry, in this trio I really like the spanish cedar bowl.

Aren't donut chucks great????////

Tony

Bernie Weishapl
04-12-2010, 3:59 PM
Really nice Roland. Love the spanish cedar.