PDA

View Full Version : PM2700 problem

Jordan Lane
04-11-2010, 8:31 PM
I have a new pm2700 I bought at a show and simply love it....however i have ordered rub bearings to do arch doors and to do pattern cutting and I am finding they don't fit my 3/4 arbor. No problems with cutters or spacers; they are a little tight but do slide on with no problems. I ordered rub bearings from 2 different companies ( Grizzly and Infinity) and none will go on. They will start on but will need a gear puller to get them off. Any other pm2700 owners experience this, and if so what was the resolve? A call to Powerrmatic will be placed in the morning. Thanks in advance

David DeCristoforo
04-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Fire up your shaper with an empty spindle and hit it with a strip of medium crocus cloth. Don't get too carried away. You just want to buff out the spindle a bit. And stay off the threads at the top of the spindle.

Glen Butler
04-11-2010, 10:44 PM
Yep I had a problem with a rub bearing. David is full aware of that incident. I did what David has recommended to you but only at the very bottom of the spindle. I got the bearing to mostly fit by taking a small sanding drum to the inside diameter of the rub bearing.

Joe Jensen
04-12-2010, 12:21 AM
I'd work the bearing and not the spindle

Jordan Lane
04-12-2010, 1:03 PM
Powermatic is sending me a new 3/4 spindle...I'll let ya know what happens

Chip Lindley
04-12-2010, 2:00 PM
Will be interesting to find if the replacement spindle from PM is different from your present one. Since all your cutters and spacers fit easily onto the 3/4" spindle, I doubt the spindle is at fault.

Evidently, the rub bearings you ordered used ball bearings with an interference fit rather than a sliding fit. Contact the sellers of the rub collars your purchased and complain to them. Even parts from different companies may have come from the same Chinese factory.

Jordan Lane
04-12-2010, 3:45 PM
I agree Chip i am going to call Grizzly and Infinity as well

Jordan Lane
04-12-2010, 7:37 PM
ALL of the inside diameter of the rub collars were less than .750, some as much as .744. The spindle measures dead on .750. Now to find someone that carries rub collars with true 3/4 dimensions. Grizzly took theirs back and Infinity is going to ship a replacement. We'll see.

Peter Quinn
04-12-2010, 7:42 PM
ALL of the inside diameter of the rub collars were less than .750, some as much as .744. The spindle measures dead on .750. Now to find someone that carries rub collars with true 3/4 dimensions. Grizzly took theirs back and Infinity is going to ship a replacement. We'll see.

You'ld think the ID of the bearings would be some fraction over the OD of the spindle, no? I mean, at least .005" or so to allow them to go on. Surely .006" undersized is not going to work unless the spindle is old and very worn.

Jordan Lane
04-14-2010, 5:59 PM
It was the spindle!! In fact...Powermatic has redone the way they make and attach the spindle...everything works perfect now, everything fits smoothly. :)

Glen Butler
04-14-2010, 7:26 PM
Thanks for the follow up. Glad everything worked out for you.