PDA

View Full Version : Is this a job for engravers?

Doug Carpenter
04-11-2010, 3:38 PM
I asked this question over at the CNC section and they thought I should try here. I am a custom stock maker I would like to hand out little keychains that resemble wood gunstocks at the Ohio State Sporting Clays Championship this year. It would be only a couple inches in size and maybe have my website address one one side. Could anybody here help me with this idea?

Thanks, Doug

James Terry
04-11-2010, 4:10 PM
This one sounds pretty straight forward and might be a good model gig for the entire forum to learn on as far as development, pricing and production.

I think a nice hardwood etched on both sides would make a really neat advertising piece. You could do it on a mix of woods to get a nice variation and the customer can pick the color they like.

You must not have any computerized machines for your stock process, otherwise I would expect you could do this yourself?

Doug Carpenter
04-11-2010, 4:22 PM
Sounds good.

Stockwork is old school. It will take too long to do them by hand.:)

Is this a project you are interested in? I would welcome the chanch to work with a creeker on this.

Doug

Dee Gallo
04-11-2010, 4:32 PM
Doug,

Could you post a picture of the shape you have in mind? Some of us like to "play" with this kind of project and if you gave us a headstart, it would encourage us :)

In general, these can definitely be made with a laser, although you don't say how many you will need or what your budget is.

cheers, dee

Doug Carpenter
04-11-2010, 4:41 PM
Thanks Dee,

I can post a shape that I have in mind.

I am unsure of my budget. Mostly because I have no idea what something like this would cost. I am thinking there were about 250 shooters last year at the state shoot. I dont know what a good rule of thumb for handouts would be.

I'll put a drawing together an post it here.

Thanks, Doug

Peter Meacham
04-11-2010, 4:57 PM
Doug

I made the attached "Key chains or Business Cards" from 3mm prefinished plywood - they can be engraved both sides.

I just show you this to advise that someone has done something similar to what you are asking about. A gunstock shape could easily be designed and cut with a laser.

Pete

Doug Carpenter
04-11-2010, 5:20 PM
Here is the part of my logo that I was thinking of using

The CCg portion stands for Carpenter's Custom gunstocks. It is the trigger group of the shotgun.

Doug Lynch
04-11-2010, 5:47 PM
Here it is vectored. Corel Ver 10. I am sure it needs some work done to it. As it is raster only.
Doug Lynch

Doug Carpenter
04-11-2010, 6:00 PM
I don't know what vectored is but I could not open it.

I had posted this on the CNC topic first and I was just informed that it was supposed to have been posted in the classifieds. I assume they are going to remove this as well.

I'm not sure I understand why though. The classified section says no commercial business. Where are we supposed to share ideas and do business with one another?

Dee Gallo
04-11-2010, 7:02 PM
Doug, if this disappears you might check with the new Friends of the Creek feature (FOTC) which Keith has recently announced. I haven't seen it yet, but it is supposed to be a place to connect Creekers with others who can help them out.

Meanwhile, it looks like Peter has experience very similar to what you want.

Hopefully we will find out more about it soon.

cheers, dee

James Terry
04-12-2010, 2:06 AM
Doug, what is your website and what does your logo look like?

The shape you have drawn makes for a very odd keychain. Half of a gun doesnt seem quite right to me but I'm not a gunstock fan so I could have this wrong. It might be a good idea to put more into this than just the shape of the gunstock alone.

Is it safe to say that you are working solely with rifles? Or do you also do handgun grips?

Would it be a good idea to do a whole gun on this piece?

I did a similar idea the other day for an Isuzu fan group. This is just a test burn onto some particleboard mdf material I had lying around. A nice hardwood will look much better.

http://www.webglider.com/terry/rodeo/DSC06684.JPG

Kenneth Hertzog
04-12-2010, 7:53 AM
Doug
I've put gun photos and email
on a leather key chain for local gun shop
you get more space for info and it lasts longer
if you want to see one with your logo on it
let me know
ken

Gordon Kircher
04-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Just playing around. Cleaned up the stock a little and added a hole for the keyring. The attached .JPG is the same as the .CDR (vector) just might be easier to see.

Sandy Henry
04-12-2010, 4:53 PM
Doug, I would like to send you some artwork of your gun stock keychain that you might like...but even with advise from several forum guys, I can't get the artwork attached or copied to a reply. If you're interested, you could e-mail me & I will e-mail the artwork directly to you. simplifysandy@aol.com

AL Ursich
04-12-2010, 8:11 PM
Another option that would be cheaper is wooden business cards with the logo and business card info on the card. Anything like a full 1/8 inch wood or the thin sheet stock version.

AL

Doug Carpenter
04-13-2010, 7:39 AM
Thanks everyone for the help.

I think I have enough information for now Thanks again, Doug