View Full Version : remove and reinstall solid surface countertops?

Kerry Adams
04-11-2010, 3:18 PM
Good Afternoon,

We put down solid surface Wilsonart countertops 5 years ago. I am now replacing the upper cabinets. Is it possible to remove the solid surface, put new cabinets in and put the same solid surface back on. It is an L shaped top with a solid surface sink. Has anyone done this?


Jim O'Dell
04-11-2010, 3:46 PM
I'm sure it's possible...depending on any joint there might be, and how to get that apart. The sections at the sink and the built in range, if your's is a separate drop in range, are weak spots that could break.
But my question is: If you are only doing uppers, why bother the counter top? I'd leave it be, and replace the cabinets. Now, the back splash may be a different issue, unless the new uppers are the same size as the ones you are taking out. Jim.

Tony Joyce
04-11-2010, 5:32 PM
The joints should be bonded(seam should be 30"-36" from the back corner), and the top should be spotted with adhesive to hold it in place. Sure you can remove it, but you run the risk of breaking it and this will not be covered by any warranty that may have been given by the original installers.

Jamie Buxton
04-11-2010, 7:23 PM
I've demolished a number of kitchens with solid surface counters. In all of them, the solid-surface gets shattered as part of the demolition. The solid-surface material is glued to the subtop with big globs of epoxy or polyester resin, and they stick very well. The subtop is screwed to the cabinets with the screw heads on the top of the subtop. I don't see any easy way to salvage the solid surface.

Belinda Williamson
04-12-2010, 7:51 AM
Like Jamie, our company has removed lots of solid surface tops that were being replaced with natural stone or quartz surfacing. Almost every time the homeowner would ask if the solid surface could be salvaged. Typically if it was an island top or a single straight run it could be removed in one piece with a little care. If seamed, angled, or involving a sink or cooktop cutout, more often than not the piece would crack or break at one of the weaker points. So, in your case it is possible, but not likely.

Kerry Adams
04-12-2010, 8:18 AM
Thanks everyone! I thought that was probably the answer!