PDA

View Full Version : Festool to attach breadboard edge?

Darl Bundren
04-11-2010, 1:19 PM
I am working on finishing a desktop I am going to put on a built in, and I am wanting to attach a cosmetic "breadboard edge" to it--the reason for the quotes is that I do not want to cut rabbets and dadoes, I just want a piece to attach to cover the exposed end grain.

Does attaching the edge with domino tenons and gluing them only there seem feasible? I'd probably space them every 6 or 8 inches. It seems like that would allow it to float enough to allow for expansion across the grain, would be attached enough to ensure alignment and rigidity, and be easy to do to boot.

The edge I am scheming on is @44 to 48@ wide; the top is made of hickory.

Thanks as always.

Matt Meiser
04-11-2010, 2:27 PM
This is a domino-related idea if you don't care if the Dominos are visible.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=120221

I used the screws because my think was that if I just dominoed it on, thats pretty much the same as gluing the whole thing. If the dominoes are glued, nothing holds it on. If they are glued in wide slots, something has to give for the wood to move.

Jamie Buxton
04-11-2010, 5:42 PM
The usual strategy with a breadboard end is to glue it only in the middle. The top is going to expand and contract across the grain, while the breadboard end is not going to change in that direction. Because of this, the joint between the breadboard end and the top needs to be a sliding joint. You can fasten the sliding joint in one place, but that's it.

The additional strategy with the unglued tenons is to make them rather long as they stick into the breadboard. This prevents the breadboard from twisting.

You could certainly make the middle tenons with a Domino, and glue them. If you can set up the Domino to cut deep mortises, and make Domino tenon stock to mate to the deep mortises, you could use the Domino to make the outer tenons too.