PDA

View Full Version : Corned Beef

Mitchell Andrus
04-11-2010, 9:30 AM
I cook my own and slice it thin for sandwiches. Cheaper and better than the 'slice it off a hunk of rubbery stuff' at the deli counter.

Discuss.

Brian Kent
04-11-2010, 9:51 AM
I get mine from Monfort's Feed Lot in Greeley Colorado. I fell in love with Kyle Monfort as a kid. She was 6 and I was 3. She may have been an older woman, but she could ride a cow. I had never met a woman who could ride a cow.

Mitchell Andrus
04-11-2010, 10:16 AM
I had never met a woman who could ride a cow.

That is ripe for some good one-liners, but it's Sunday.

mickey cassiba
04-11-2010, 4:41 PM
A good corned beef...mmmh! But you left out the fresh kraut.
Mick

John A langley
04-11-2010, 4:49 PM
Michael - I get a bang out of most of your posts. However, you left out a place to vote in the poll that said there is absolutely nothing good about corned beef.

Mike Henderson
04-11-2010, 5:33 PM
I prefer a roast beef po boy, or even an oyster loaf, in New Orleans.

Mike

Pat Germain
04-11-2010, 9:25 PM
I cook my own and slice it thin for sandwiches. Cheaper and better than the 'slice it off a hunk of rubbery stuff' at the deli counter.

Discuss.

Do you corn it yourself? Or, do you buy it pre cured and then boil it?

jerry nazard
04-12-2010, 12:46 AM
Just finished one: on rye w/ swiss, mayo, mustard, and cole slaw. I do not trim off the fat. Makes a great midnight snack....

Mitchell Andrus
04-12-2010, 8:47 AM
Do you corn it yourself? Or, do you buy it pre cured and then boil it?

I have corned my own, I was taught by a butcher in Nova Scotia when I was about 12. Salt Peter is tough to find anymore so I buy corned beef in vacuum bags ready to cook. A few hours on a gentle simmer is all it takes. Nathan's is my favorite. They tend to package thicker hunks than others. The thinner cuts with no fat dries out a bit too much for my taste.

Lee Schierer
04-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Actually I prefer a good pastrami with swiss over corned beef.

Rod Sheridan
04-12-2010, 11:37 AM
I don't normally eat corned beef, now Montreal smoked meat when I'm in Montreal, that's another story.

Regards

Dan Mitchell
04-13-2010, 4:31 AM
Hold the corned beef. Pastrami Reuben. Pastrami, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese on rye, grilled. Serve with Russian dressing on the side. Had them from Katz's on E. Houston in NYC to Nate & Al's in LA. Only way to go.

Mitchell Andrus
04-13-2010, 7:52 AM
Hold the corned beef. Pastrami Reuben. Pastrami, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese on rye, grilled. Serve with Russian dressing on the side. Had them from Katz's on E. Houston in NYC to Nate & Al's in LA. Only way to go.

Pastrami poll next month.... yer way ahead of me.

Joe Cunningham
04-13-2010, 10:52 AM
What's a schmear? I think I know, but it is one of those terms that I can't be sure about.

I like mine with sauerkraut on toasted rye, no dressing. Leftovers from a boiled dinner (aka St Paddy's day fare) is usually the best, but I'll get it from the deli too.

Hmm, cabbage from a boiled dinner, so tasty but I usually pay for it later that night.

"Did someone step on a duck?"

Mitchell Andrus
04-13-2010, 1:13 PM
What's a schmear?

You live in CT... so close to NYC and you don't nkow what a schmear is? Tsk, tsk.

On a bagel, it's cream cheese. On a sandwich, it's mustard. Visit a good NY deli and live a little.

Jim Koepke
04-14-2010, 1:27 PM
OK, bagel schmear is understood, if that stuff that looks like a pale yellow bird dropping is a "schmear" I prefer mine with Dijon mustard.

What I really like to do after Saint Patrick's day is to make my own corned beef hash. Haven't found anywhere else but home to get that.

So even though there are only two of us here, we will often cook two or three corned beefs for St Paddy's. One for dinner, one for sandwiches the next few days, extra potatoes and all that is left over is for corned beef hash.

We don't use a grinder, just chop it fine. Also chop the potato and onion fine. A few of the favorite herbs, garlic, savory, basil, sage, powdered mustard and maybe some celery seeds.

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

jim

jerry nazard
04-14-2010, 2:06 PM
What I really like to do after Saint Patrick's day is to make my own corned beef hash. Haven't found anywhere else but home to get that.

We don't use a grinder, just chop it fine. Also chop the potato and onion fine. A few of the favorite herbs, garlic, savory, basil, sage, powdered mustard and maybe some celery seeds.

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

jim

Yoww! I'm a breakfast person, and hash is great. I like to throw in some chopped dill pickle for the last few minutes of cooking time and serve it up with poached or easy over eggs. Sliced tomatoes on the side. Tuna hash made with leftover grilled tuna steaks is good also....

Did somebody say "food, glorious food"?

Mitchell Andrus
04-14-2010, 2:39 PM

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

jim

Oh, Jimmy. I read this at 2:30..... and my tummy's growling.

Tim Morton
04-14-2010, 6:47 PM
OK, bagel schmear is understood, if that stuff that looks like a pale yellow bird dropping is a "schmear" I prefer mine with Dijon mustard.

So even though there are only two of us here, we will often cook two or three corned beefs for St Paddy's. One for dinner, one for sandwiches the next few days, extra potatoes and all that is left over is for corned beef hash.

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

jim

i have been trying for ever to make my own hash....with very consistent results...all uneatable:mad::mad:

Rob Wright
04-14-2010, 10:14 PM
The wife will slow cook/smoke one on the Big Green Egg a few times a year. I always thought that smoked corned beef was Pastrami? Anyway - that's what we have always been told that's what it is after being slow cooked and smoked. Either way - put it on a dark rye with russian dressing, some sour kraut, and a nice thick piece of stinky swiss cheese and I am a happy camper :)

Pastrami : http://tinyurl.com/y6aye5a