PDA

View Full Version : Panasonic Cordless Drill chuck died, 2nd time, what to get?

Joe Jensen
04-11-2010, 3:02 AM
I have a Panasonic 15.6V Lion cordless drill/driver. Love the drill, but the chuck not so much. The first one died within a 3 months and it took 2 months for a replacement part. this was 3 years ago or so. Just crapped out again. Should I buy another $50 crap chuck, or is there a better option?

John Grabowski
04-11-2010, 8:04 AM
Home Depot has a 18V lithium ion Ridgid on sale right now, ending today, for 89.99...Negative is that it only has on battery.

I bought one yesterday, works great...I would have bought 2 except it was the last one they had.

SORRY....I missed originally that you said the CHUCK...I aplogize.

JG

Brendan Plavis
04-11-2010, 10:51 AM
If you do not absolutly need cordless, I would go with corded. I have a Coleman 18V cordless(yea I know.. crap company) that cannot hold onto bits(I have had them get stuck in the wood, and have my drill come out without the bit...) and its battery is atrocious, expecially since its power is crap.. but enough rant.. I would, if you have the luxury, go with corded... they are more powerful(most of the time) and never run out of juice.

With that said, I have heard good things about Skil 18V drills.

Rich Neighbarger
04-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Jacobs. I wouldn't buy anything else.

Joe Jensen
04-11-2010, 1:14 PM
Jacobs. I wouldn't buy anything else.

I'm keeping the drill and replacing the chuck. I should have been more clear in my first post. I did some surfing last night and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a Jacobs.

It's looks like the Jacobs 6000 series is the best chuck for one handed operation on a cordless drill. Anyone have experiene with the Jacobs 6000?

Matt Meiser
04-11-2010, 8:53 PM
With that said, I have heard good things about Skil 18V drills.

You have? :confused:

Karl Brogger
04-11-2010, 10:14 PM
I think they had a bad batch of chucks or something. A buddy had one fail, and I had one fail about the same time, but on mine the drill was shot by the time the chuck went south. I've got three currently and they see pretty heavy use on a daily basis, no failures yet on those.......

Joe Jensen
04-12-2010, 9:19 PM
I've called Jacobs now three times. Nobody who answers a phone is a part of the industrial line, the $200-500 chucks for drill presses and such. Really nice people, but apparently they have nothing to do with the "consumer" chucks which includes the tradesman/professional chucks. At this point the industrial folks have referred me to 3 different people in the OEM divsion who "may" know something about the keyless chucks for hand held drills.

The chuck I want is a 6000 series. I can readily find the 1/2" 6000 series chuck for a 1/2" 20 mount, but not the one for a 3/8" 24 mount. According to a marketing collateral .pdf file on the Jacobs website they sell it in 3/8" 24 but nobody seems to have it, and I can't even find a part number.

The stock Panasonic chuck is a one handed chuck, and most Jacobs (other than the 6000 series) are two handed. I think I don't want a two handed unless I can use it as a one handed as the Panasonic drill has a locking shaft when the drill is off. Does anyone know?

Joe Jensen
04-13-2010, 10:41 AM
I gave up on Jacobs. Panasonic claims the newer version of the chuck from them is more durable. Jacobs called me back and said they no longer manufacture the 6000 series and they had no information on who sold ever, or what the part number was (not super helpful). I'm guessing Jacobs has licensed their brand to someone making the non-industrial all steel chucks and they don't want to say that.

I ended up ordering a new Panasonic chuck :(

Randal Stevenson
06-08-2010, 11:51 PM
Thread resurrection. Anyone try on any of their drills, an adapter bushing?

Jacobs is still advertising the 3/8-24, so I tried to contact them and copied all the info for possible FTC complaint. Found posts elsewhere, dating to 2008 with the same questions.